Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fnukafka

Stadia / future of gaming

It will not work very well for MMOs or any game that relies on timing or tight reflexes. It also requires a better internet connection as you’re streaming the video content to you versus your local machine handling most of the display work and only sending info packets to the server.

Essentially Stadia creates an extra hop between you playing the game and the game’s servers. This is very likely to create a laggy and loose feeling between what you see on the screen and your actions with the controller.

Remote gaming setups work best for slower games: turn based things like Civ style strategy games, RPGs, tactics games, etc...

lPoLZtm.png

Posted (edited)

Call me old fashioned, but I'd like to know that my purchases aren't at risk of being unusable because someone decided to stop hosting them.

Sure, for server centric games like MMOs its a natural fit, assuming they can actually get the latency down, as you could theoretically run the entire sim in one physical space with VERY little network latency, streaming the player's connections with a separate connection. its a solution that could theoretically be configured to actually support simulating tons of detailed physics simulations, more AI, and in general more complex simulations efficienctly in a way the current client/server models can't do efficiently.

On the other hand, the network speeds required to make use of that faster simulation in real time to the users is in question. MMO's are already designed around lag. I could see this approach having large benefits for games designed around that lag, so its a natural fit for MMOs. You build your game around the input lag so it doesn't feel wrong the way it does when you just try to port doom to it. It could really bring up the possibility space for the super niche MMORTS genre and other highly complex but low-twitch designs that aren't really practical with the current client/server model.

Because the user never needs to verify their movements with the sim, you can stream their inputs once way, while you're streaming audiovisuals back at a predictable bitrate. It doesn't balloon the network footprint for large complex battles and other such things over the internet, but keeps all of that in your server farm that's got all of the clients and the sim connected with high capacity direct cables and hardware specialized for the task. because you know both the clients and servers are running under the same authority, you can skip a ton of computing servers do now to constantly verify syncing between the client and server for the purposes of cheat detection and network replication as there's no actual code running on the user's end. You can't inject hacks in to a streamed MMO because you don't have access to the software environment of the client, just your control scheme and an audiovisual stream. You don't need to verify the position of stuff as it appears on the client with extra CPU cycles because your server is an absolute authority and you know that every client is perfectly synced, even if its controller (you, playing from your pc or phone or whatever) has a laggy connection.

On the third hand, anything that's not an MMO I'm not convinced. I'd like the archival ability, ability to host servers, ability to play over LAN or with no network connection, locally mod, etc. etc. etc.

Honestly other than heavy lifting network implementation like MMOs I don't know who this tech is for. There's clearly not a lot of enthusiasm for cloud computing among the enthusiast market, and the more casual market doesn't seem to want to play games that would benefit much from having shadow horsepower to run things their PCs can't, as they generally don't care/can't see the point of the additional fidelity, if they games they are playing stand to benefit from it anyway.

I seriously doubt this is the future of gaming any more than VR is the future of gaming. Its a niche implementation that has niche uses. Just as VR isn't going to replace 2d gaming, cloud computing isn't going to replace the existing local hardware PC and console markets. VR will continue to be popular for stuff VR is good at, namely games designed specifically for VR. Streaming setups like this will be good for stuff they're naturally good at, which I very much think may be a replacement for the client/server model upon which most large MMOs are built.

The future of MMOs may be streaming, but I very much doubt the future of gaming is streaming.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"