Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quiksix

What will Crowfall be?

I'm curious, now that I've played some and seen a little of what's being implemented.  I bought into Crowfall as it was being presented (at the time mind you) as a sort of more advanced successor to a game called Shadowbane in the early 2000's.  That may not have been a fair assessment, but the article stood and no one refuted it.

This game, so far, has a vastly improved graphics and interaction with other players, but a skill and tech tree that's so incredibly convoluted it's difficult at best to even know where to put points.

I'm curious to know if this level of intricacy is intended. I've always found that simplicity is so much easier to deal with in the long run and overcomplication just leads to endless problems.  The basic rule of these types of games was always: Fighter kills Rogue; Rogue kills Mage; Mage kills Fighter.  Not particularly precise, but a simple platform to build a more robust interaction without going insane.  I realize this does not address crafting in any way, but most of us are here to play with and against others, that is the core of all of these games.

I would appreciate any official response that might be available.  I realize opinions abound and many would disagree with my rather simplistic approach.

Thank you for any responses.

Posted (edited)

It is not meant to be simplified down to 1v1s...   or even 2v2s although hunting pairs in low pop times will be more successful than rogues out alone.   The game is designed entirely around group synergy just like Shadowbane…    Shadpwbane builds were quite complicated and varied but the politics made the game.   Most times you will need a group if not a few groups to do the main activities after ginding up to par.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

15 hours ago, Quiksix said:

Fighter kills Rogue; Rogue kills Mage; Mage kills Fighter

That's your basic 1v1 guideline I assume, because I don't see a healer in that equation! It's definitely more complex than that in CF because there are additional intended layers like group vs group composition, and situational builds (open-world roaming, keep defense, resource control).

15 hours ago, Quiksix said:

it's difficult at best to even know where to put points.

This is a good thing IMO because the innovators will set a meta, then everyone else copies, then the cycle repeats. It creates some interesting character building RPG aspects that I enjoy, and that I don't get in a BR or Shooter where everyone plays the same character.

tiPrpwh.png

9 minutes ago, miraluna said:

It creates some interesting character building RPG aspects that I enjoy, and that I don't get in a BR or Shooter where everyone plays the same character.

Flavor of the month builds are so common in mmo's, while I don't chase them, there have been times that a previously broken character in a game suddenly becomes mighty. Good times.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:18 AM, Quiksix said:

This game, so far, has a vastly improved graphics and interaction with other players, but a skill and tech tree that's so incredibly convoluted it's difficult at best to even know where to put points.

I agree with this, particularly the crafting. 

Its obviously a system that a lot of time, thought and love was put into, but its way too complex for my tastes. I can and will look everything up online and spend a ridiculous amount of time figuring it out to make it work, but I bet a lot of people wont bother and I wish I didnt have to go to that effort either.

On 7/17/2019 at 5:47 PM, miraluna said:

This is a good thing IMO because the innovators will set a meta, then everyone else copies, then the cycle repeats. It creates some interesting character building RPG aspects that I enjoy, and that I don't get in a BR or Shooter where everyone plays the same character.

Except that you cant move your trained points around. Spent points are spent points and I believe the OP was referring to skill training and not equipped items.