Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
oneply

Give us a Roadmap

Recommended Posts

Just now, miraluna said:

How can you be transparent about something that hasn't even happened yet? When I talk about transparency, I mean that you can login and check out the current state of the game at any time, you can share videos and info about the current state of the game, and you are free to give complaining feedback about the current state of the game :)

Which is your take on the word.

For me, being transparent would be having AMA more then once every few years, open discussions, responding to community questions without filter, addressing hot topics head on, having an up to date list of the state of pretty much anything of interest, toss in a road map even, etc. 

Realistically this is hard to do and can do more harm then good so unsurprisingly few companies ever go near such transparency, especially once they get money or feel secure enough to back away from the light.

ACE isn't the most closed off but also not the most open. They do some things great and lack in other areas that IMO could be done better with minimal effort or potential harm.

A selling point for crowdfunded projects of any kind is usually how transparent, open, we want the community making the game with us, blah blah blah. This is pretty standard and has crossed into bigger or non-crowdfunded projects as well.

Compared to gaming years ago, the industry as a whole is much more open. Early Access of whatever flavor is not a rarity at all, if anything it is more of the norm then not. Which is why I find companies claiming to be "transparent" or anything more then the norm at a higher standard.

Early access, no NDA, monthly softball updates/answers, and weekly fluff (for the most part) isn't breaking the mold in 2019.

In the end, it's not that serious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They have you a road map but no dates in the a last ACE Q and A. Dregs is being worked on next then once that is in they are going to go to ALPHA. 

 

My guess is alpha will be sometime before December.

Edited by YouTubejasonwivart

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 7:28 PM, Rikutatis said:

Honestly at this point I don't really care about roadmaps, development updates or w/e. I'd rather they just turtle up and focus all their resources on getting the remaining missing features done asap, that way they can move on to polishing, optimizing, balancing, etc. It'll be done when it's done. IMO a roadmap would just make people more frustrated when they keep missing deadlines, delaying, changing things, etc.

This could be a good argument for not having a roadmap, but I don't think its very strong. They should really have some transparency on where they are focusing their resources rather than leaving it for Q&A sessions and the very rare "announcements". Take Camelot Unchained for example, they do a very simple readout of their main development areas and what progress has been made if any. This isn't a way to criticize their development (which shouldn't be taken negatively!), but a way to have transparency in the investment players have given to the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, YouTubejasonwivart said:

They have you a road map but no dates in the a last ACE Q and A. Dregs is being worked on next then once that is in they are going to go to ALPHA. 

My guess is alpha will be sometime before December.

My guess is it will be April 1st 2020.

This is why people would like a road map.

Stating a few items are being worked on and have been for an unknown time with unknown features and unknown progress isn't what I suspect road map fans are looking for.

Alpha was supposed to happen last year, guessing their road map got wet and ACE took a few wrong turns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, APE said:

My guess is it will be April 1st 2020.

This is why people would like a road map.

Stating a few items are being worked on and have been for an unknown time with unknown features and unknown progress isn't what I suspect road map fans are looking for.

Alpha was supposed to happen last year, guessing their road map got wet and ACE took a few wrong turns.

ya hence why they don't give dates since every date they give was inaccurate 


Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, APE said:

Alpha was supposed to happen last year, guessing their road map got wet and ACE took a few wrong turns.

Yes, they spun off a new division last year to sell their game engine to another mmo company. Those resources could have been used to work on crowfall itself. Yes, they did hire some new talent for that division, but not all. Nonetheless, (wow spellchecker says that's a word) the funding for those hires had to come from somewhere. At this rate they will have sold their engine before the game even launches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Yes, they spun off a new division last year to sell their game engine to another mmo company. Those resources could have been used to work on crowfall itself. Yes, they did hire some new talent for that division, but not all. Nonetheless, (wow spellchecker says that's a word) the funding for those hires had to come from somewhere. At this rate they will have sold their engine before the game even launches.

Pretty common for a new game studio to use the nostalgia from an old game to boost their company so they can make an entirely different game they actually want to make. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Yes, they spun off a new division last year to sell their game engine to another mmo company. Those resources could have been used to work on crowfall itself.

That division is working on the engine for Crowfall, so those resources are being used to work on Crowfall itself.


IhhQKY6.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mystafyi said:

Yes, they spun off a new division last year to sell their game engine to another mmo company. Those resources could have been used to work on crowfall itself. Yes, they did hire some new talent for that division, but not all. Nonetheless, (wow spellchecker says that's a word) the funding for those hires had to come from somewhere. At this rate they will have sold their engine before the game even launches.

It’s the engine running Crowfall so any work done to the engine is work that CF benefits from.  That makes sense to you right?  You understand they hired people to work on the engine of the game they are currently making and at the same time selling that engine to other devs.  I’m not sure if you’re just enjoying bad mouthing their decisions or if you actually don’t understand that the new division is still employed by JTC/Tyrant and is working on the progress of the engine for the game we are playing, and any other games later used to by this engine, while the older division, led by Blair, is making systems unique to CF. 

Edited by mandalore

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2019 at 10:19 AM, oneply said:

ACE would do a lot for themselves if they would publish a roadmap. News/Progress updates would not be as necessary cause we could play the game and see the progress related to the road map. It gives a clear path for the devs, investors, and players to follow. 

They used to do this and then work would be delayed and we, the community, would poorly made socks all over them for breaking promises.  If they know they can’t meet their deadlines then this is the best thing for them.  I’d prefer they be able to maintain their deadlines and give us a roadmap but it doesn’t seem to be in the cards and I e just accepted this status quo.  It’s not the 100% best system but it works best for them and at the end of the day they need to be able to make the game without us heckling them over every decision they do or don’t make. 

 

If its more transparency you want then I suggest you get them to do more q/a with more team members but understand whole those people are answering our questions they aren’t working. 

 

White Knight Mandalore to the rescue. 

Edited by mandalore

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mandalore said:

It’s the engine running Crowfall so any work done to the engine is work that CF benefits from.  That makes sense to you right?  You understand they hired people to work on the engine of the game they are currently making and at the same time selling that engine to other devs.  I’m not sure if you’re just enjoying bad mouthing their decisions or if you actually don’t understand that the new division is still employed by JTC/Tyrant and is working on the progress of the engine for the game we are playing, and any other games later used to by this engine, while the older division, led by Blair, is making systems unique to CF. 

I still assert that this decision effected the timeline of Crowfall and detracted from productivity towards release. While I am sure you are correct that many can and do work back and forth on both projects as needed, I don't agree with your assumption that all assets in another division are focused on crowfall. In a small company a handful of assets can equal a sizable chunk of manpower. While I am sure its a good business decision for their pocket, I wont be easily persuaded that it did not have effects on the game we paid into. Rationally stating truths isn't badmouthing. its not personal.

Edited by mystafyi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2019 at 12:01 AM, YouTubejasonwivart said:

ya hence why they don't give dates since every date they give was inaccurate 

Which is smart if they are unable to properly project dates remotely close to reality.

However, it is rather easy to keep the community updated on as much or little as they want/can without including dates or timelines.

More of a status/progress list instead of X will be finished on m/d/y list.

During Q&A and other streams they do provide some insight into a few features, but don't see why we couldn't have an official post or something that was updated to include these things and a lot more. some of my longer posts probably contain more words then their official post would require. Words are cheap and easy to put out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, APE said:

Which is smart if they are unable to properly project dates remotely close to reality.

However, it is rather easy to keep the community updated on as much or little as they want/can without including dates or timelines.

More of a status/progress list instead of X will be finished on m/d/y list.

During Q&A and other streams they do provide some insight into a few features, but don't see why we couldn't have an official post or something that was updated to include these things and a lot more. some of my longer posts probably contain more words then their official post would require. Words are cheap and easy to put out.

They do this during their monthly streams. writing up a text version of what they say in stream would just take resources away from something else. Also they like keep some info secret as to do a big news drop which then gets them free press coverage from the mmo sites.


Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, YouTubejasonwivart said:

They do this during their monthly streams. writing up a text version of what they say in stream would just take resources away from something else. Also they like keep some info secret as to do a big news drop which then gets them free press coverage from the mmo sites.

Here's what I gathered from the recent Q&A:

5.100 Update: We had an update which we can read about in an email, news post, 2 gaming site articles, patch notes, and now a stream. QOL improvements, changes to make the game less difficult and social dependent.

Dregs: Next high target priority.

Alpha: On course and will be here when it is (lets forget last years estimation).

Caravans: In the works.

Crafting UI Update: Get to it eventually.

Passive Catch Up: Get to it before launch.

Combat/Balance Pass: WIP, don't expect obvious sweeping changes.

Not too tricky to type that up and have it as a sticky "What We're Working On" "State of Development" or whatever.

Beyond new features being added or finished, the list would remain the same with all the status/progress being updated if anything was done. Considering they spend resources on War Stories and other less then essential fluff, I don't believe this is a crazy request.

There are several features we've heard little to nothing about that they could add to the list.

Frostweaver, refineries, caravan, mounts, relics/artifacts, thralls, advantages & disadvantages, creation customization, ruins/world visual updates, VIP, etc.

Could be listed as Get to it eventually, pre-launch, post-launch, WIP, 50% done, expected during Alpha 2.0, etc. Or they could actually shed some light on things like they mentioned a while back Frostweaver animations/tech were done and it was expected with Alpha, but are they going to hold out if it is done prior to Alpha and Alpha gets pushed back even further? We've seen some Adv n Disadv screens, what happened to the system?

Keeping things secret is fine, but there is a huge gap between full reveal and a simple status update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...