Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yianni

My 10 year old nephew played CF and CB

Guess in which game he got farther in and in which one he didn't need any help...

He had no idea what to do at the character screen. And you can imagine the rest.

I never thought I'd say this, but I actually got frustrated just watching him try and play. The game needs more hand holding it seems like, all the way from character creation.

4 minutes ago, yianni said:

Guess in which game he got farther in and in which one he didn't need any help...

He had no idea what to do at the character screen. And you can imagine the rest.

I never thought I'd say this, but I actually got frustrated just watching him try and play. The game needs more hand holding it seems like, all the way from character creation.

CB is in open beta, which means the game is more or less done, except of some finetuning.

CF is in pre-alpha, which means that even some fundamental systems of the later game are not in the testing environment yet. Not to speak of the game loop and player experience.

So, sorry, but I don't get your point. If your ten year old would have been more comfortable with CF then with CB - then it would have been a very bad sign for CB. But this way, it's nothing else but just normal. Even without taking into accounts that both games are quite different in general.

2W1ZHpA.jpg

Yep, no big surprise that the pre-alpha is not as accessible yet.

It has always been ACE's plan to wait until the game is mostly finished before they put a lot of work into tutorial type content. Otherwise that work ends up getting redone repeatedly as they redesign systems.

IhhQKY6.gif

Posted (edited)

I can understand that, I was just frustrated haha, I dont have a problem playing. 

There nees more tutorials and a little more descriptive

and @Kraahk CB is free

Edited by yianni

What's interesting to me is how 20 years ago, teenagers were playing Ultima Online (no quests, no tutorial, no tooltips, nothing but a sandbox) and having a great time but in the post-WoW era people respond so differently to exploring and figuring things out.

tiPrpwh.png

13 minutes ago, miraluna said:

What's interesting to me is how 20 years ago, teenagers were playing Ultima Online (no quests, no tutorial, no tooltips, nothing but a sandbox) and having a great time but in the post-WoW era people respond so differently to exploring and figuring things out.

Same reason 20 years ago people actually could function without cell phones. Population has just grown very dumb the past few decades is all.

Well no it was casuals being added to video games. There is a very accurate image that sums it up but ill earn myself a warning for it.

Posted (edited)
On 2/2/2018 at 9:48 AM, jtoddcoleman said:

This is not surprising, given that we haven't built a new player experience yet.

new player experience is typically the LAST thing that you work on, because it's heavily scripted and (as a result) incredibly fragile.  whenever you make a change to any system, any balance table, any user interface -- even moving a button -- the damn thing breaks.  because it's so custom crafted.

Doing it early in the development process, when everything is in flux, means that you spend an inordinate of time fixing it every. single. time. you put up a new version.

Better to just put it off until things are settled (i.e. do it last.)  It does mean that many (most?) incoming players have no clue how systems work, but that's the lesser of the two evils. Development velocity is paramount.

Todd

On 2/2/2018 at 3:14 PM, KrakkenSmacken said:

I would love to quote this answer to the plethora of players that complain about the new player experience. 

Lord knows I've bitched enough about it, and it's importance, along the way.  I sometimes lose sight of the fact that there must be a time budget built in for systems needed to support that experience, and keep mentally trying to imagine how the current model can be adjusted to accommodate a more entertaining start.

So just how LAST is it?  Is it LAST right before Beta, or LAST right before initial launch?

On 2/5/2018 at 8:30 AM, jtoddcoleman said:

yes, you can quote it.

Last meaning "I will put it off as long as we can, to give the systems under it the maximum amount of time to solidify".  I wouldn't even be shocked if we put a draft version in at soft launch, then change it completely in the period between soft launch and hard launch (i.e. once we run enough players through it to get a statistical bead on how effective it is.)  

Todd

Edited by KrakkenSmacken