Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movement

I'll be honest, moving around in Crowfall feels terrible. Your movement speed is slow and some areas feel really big making them a slog to get through. It's a common issue in MMOs IMO, but I think this game has the base to fix it. So I suggest adding a "Movement Mode" that can be activated by pressing Shift while in your harvesting tray. Each race could have it's own mode of travel to give them more unique gameplay feel while also making moving from place to place fun. Think sprinting in combat, but more free form.

Some Possible Examples:

Fae - Upon pressing shift, your can fly (simirarily to crow flight because it's actually pretty fun and feels good) at a high cost of stamina.

Guinecean - Dig underground, stamina can be spent to move faster/dig a few feet forward.

Centaur - Sprint, but can be mounted by humanoid races

Stoneborn - Costing stamina, can boost it self with a rock to travel a set distance

Human - fast sprint

So this came to me while playing Fae and thinking "yeah, no this glide is kinda pathetic" and it got me thinking of how could the different races move around the world. I think making movement feel good and fun is very important as it is the main thing you will be doing in the game. Going from node to node, monster to monster, travelling from town to town. It should feel good to go places, but now I almost feel like dying and flying back as a crow is more fun than walking back.

Adding these sort of movement options though would also give gatherers and crafters more interesting means of avoiding combat, which IMO is also an important thing for this kind of game.

Yeah, it's kinda all over the place. Sorry about that, but I do think it's important and wanted to share the idea.

There are mounts, and epic mounts which increase speed by 25% and 50% respectively (these numbers have been tweaked in the past, no reason they can't be tweaked in the future)

Are you taking those into account?

11 hours ago, Phr00t said:

There are mounts, and epic mounts which increase speed by 25% and 50% respectively (these numbers have been tweaked in the past, no reason they can't be tweaked in the future)

Are you taking those into account?

Yes, and basic mounts that act as not much more than a glorified sprint are part of the issue IMO.

Black Desert Online, which is my favourite game to travel in, does mounts in a much more interesting way where mounts can level, get skills and exist in the world making taking them places a risk as you have to think of where to leave them if you go to gather or kill enemies. It's not perfect but it is my favourite mount system.

Another example of a more involved system is Albion Online, where mounts act not just as a way of moving around quicker, but also as means of carrying more inventory and escape. Where the mount has an AoE within which you can freely move to gather without it despwaning (while still receiving the weight buff).

The issue isn't just the speed, as much as it's the fact that these implementations give you nothing to really think about while you travel. You don't have skills to use in the right moment, or interestin things you can do to players using them.

19 hours ago, Zastier said:

Black Desert Online, which is my favourite game to travel in, does mounts in a much more interesting way where mounts can level, get skills and exist in the world

OH god no. BDO mounts required months of afk leveling of ponies, then you mixed in a metric sh!t ton of RNG to get skills and a couple hundred USD worth of skill exchange coupons from the cash shop....While you are correct in that BDO mounts puts this and many games to shame, the player has to pay quite a bit for that to pan out. 

1 hour ago, mystafyi said:

OH god no. BDO mounts required months of afk leveling of ponies, then you mixed in a metric sh!t ton of RNG to get skills and a couple hundred USD worth of skill exchange coupons from the cash shop....While you are correct in that BDO mounts puts this and many games to shame, the player has to pay quite a bit for that to pan out. 

I entirely agree with you! The mount system in BDO is great though, and pretty much the only bad thing about it is the RNG grind.

I think I recall in Shadowbane long distance travel usually really sucking, and summons/runegates/etc being the only effective form of getting long distances. Buffs / Race / Etc could make it a fair bit faster, but it always sucked having to traverse the map. As frustrating as it could be, it would have forced a lot more strategy in protracted combat since you'd need to actually get people and stuff to a target.

That was a different age of MMOs though, and the speed of player movement through the world was usually a lot slower. Most games nowadays have flight or at least 2-3x base movement fast travel of some kind.

Maybe future discs or gear or other abilities will allow more significant disparity in player speeds. (Legendary Centaur Horseshoes of Gofast?)

Edited by Hi.