Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Heartsteel

Dizzy Distortion needs to go.

The dizzy distortion really needs to go. I get the idea behind the effect, but it really triggers bad motion sickness for me and I've never been bothered by visual effects before, and I'm sure it bothers other people too, considering the feedback on it during testing. I think it needs to either go, have a toggle setting, or be replaced with something like stars floating around your head or something like that.

If you guys choose not to change it, then there needs to be some sort of heads up for players to understand this game has visual effects that might bother people.

Could just have an option to turn it into a full black screen so you're still having vision obstructed. I doubt anyone would choose to have their vision obstructed by getting dizzied.

That is if they want to keep that as a mechanic. I'm fine with them removing it again. Never was a huge fan of it back in HD or SP.

C4sIZDW.gif

1 hour ago, Phylor.the.Jester said:

Could just have an option to turn it into a full black screen so you're still having vision obstructed. I doubt anyone would choose to have their vision obstructed by getting dizzied.

That is if they want to keep that as a mechanic. I'm fine with them removing it again. Never was a huge fan of it back in HD or SP.

It’s a relic of a system long gone and needs revision. 

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

1 hour ago, coolster50 said:

It’s a relic of a system long gone and needs revision. 

More or less. My first part was really just in response in terms of having the option to turn it off. If you could just disable it, anyone who didn't would be dumb even if the distortion didn't bother their head.

C4sIZDW.gif

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Phylor.the.Jester said:

Kinda would be the same as blind though...

Really for me, I hate that there was no warning or anything about visual effects in this game, so re-implementing it without any sort of heads up kinda seemed like a hooligan move. There really needs to be some sort of heads up or warning if they choose to keep these kinds of effects. Me and another were discussing how this could end up triggering something like epilepsy, which is why videos and movies are required to have warnings for graphical effects like this.

Fortunately I just get a little nauseated, nothing serious.

Edited by Heartsteel

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Heartsteel said:

Kinda would be the same as blind though...

It would. The whole reason that the dizzy animation was put in back in HD was to to disorient when you got attacked while out of combat(survival tray didn't exist). While out of combat at this point, you ran faster and could regen health much like now except when you were hit you would just get pulled back into combat.

The result was that people would just spam the combat mode key to run away faster or kinda kite. Combined with the rooted combat we had at that point, it was very irritating to kill people. The dizzy into dizzy down effect was introduced to punish those who took the risk of being out of combat at the wrong time. I actually think that the dizzy down didn't exist initially and you were just snared and repeatedly getting that dizzy effect until you got into combat(which didn't happen automatically with that).

Fast forward to now, dizzy really hasn't even been a thing but the dizzy down was still punishment for being in survival.

I don't  think that the dizzy screen effect is a good thing but you can't just give someone the option to turn it off without giving those players who turn it off some sort of visual obstruction that at least will match what players who may not know that you can turn off what is effectively a CC effect. I just presented having the screen go black(like blind) as an option of what you could do to help those with motion sickness as I generally suffer from it pretty badly. Oddly the dizzy effect does not really negatively impact me but maybe I just got used to it back in HD/SP.

So to make it clear, I support having the dizzy screen effect removed and really it should just be removed for all rather than some half measure that starts to bring in the possibility of the issues I mentioned above.

Edited by Phylor.the.Jester

C4sIZDW.gif

Why does it have to be a visual screen effect? Make my toon lose balance and/or have trouble aiming. 

The real question, are more of these visuals in the works?

I might be a weird one here, but I get dizzy from the dizzy effect and I like it. I would not mind if it would stay. Same goes for the blind. It's perfect.

Posted (edited)

I may be one of the few I guess, but I like the dizzy and blind effects. I don't get physically sick from either though... I'd prefer they NOT just make dizzy a "loss of control" effect, we already have plenty of those and they've honestly been overdone for decades already. 

Edit: Plus dizzy leads to a knockdown anyway, really wouldn't need two in a row. 

Edited by Samulus

The old dizzy graphic didn't bother me, but this new one definitely does cause a motion sickness reaction (I think camera shake was added to it?).

If anyone has video of the old dizzy would be interesting to compare.

tiPrpwh.png

They could do something similar to Wildstar and remove the screen effect, but swap the movement keys around. So S is W and D is A or A is S etc.

We don't actually need dizzy. Just have the first hit down people. Anyone specced for harvesting already has a built in passive defense against getting downed while staring at a rock. Dizzy is a relic of a different combat system.

Also blind is terrible. The team is super averse to stuns being too powerful. Blind is hands down more powerful than every other CC effect in the game.

Anything that puts big dumb filters on me screen in a third person game fills me with anger. Its like a bizarre 4th wall break and I feel personally attacked by the FX designer every time it happens. Make me miss attacks or screw up my controls or literally stop rendering the people around me or something but stop vomiting this nonsense on my monitor please.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

We don't actually need dizzy. Just have the first hit down people. Anyone specced for harvesting already has a built in passive defense against getting downed while staring at a rock. Dizzy is a relic of a different combat system.

Also blind is terrible. The team is super averse to stuns being too powerful. Blind is hands down more powerful than every other CC effect in the game.

Anything that puts big dumb filters on me screen in a third person game fills me with anger. Its like a bizarre 4th wall break and I feel personally attacked by the FX designer every time it happens. Make me miss attacks or screw up my controls or literally stop rendering the people around me or something but stop vomiting this nonsense on my monitor please.

Adversely I love the blind affect. Its a strong CC for sure, but it gives real world simulation by actually blinding you fro  the action making your actions after that very detremental to the fight. Especially with retalliate being somstrong right now.

Edited by Vunak

5 hours ago, Vunak said:

Adversely I love the blind affect. Its a strong CC for sure, but it gives real world simulation by actually blinding you fro  the action making your actions after that very detremental to the fight. Especially with retalliate being somstrong right now.

I like the previous blind better. The current blind is op. There will be a meta soon of spamming dizzies and blinds. You’ll hate it. And the banner discipline is like a disco scene. Horrible