Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Phr00t

Faction-hostile zone/city

Posted (edited)

To facilitate player-driven content, and help people learn PvP concepts, it would be very useful if there was the opposite of a free city in the campaign. A place where by default, everyone is hostile to each other, unless grouped. The same as a PvP enabled EK, this would allow guilds to fight each other, or spar against guilds of the other faction.

Reasons for this over an EK

1) Campaign world characters are now locked and would need to burn imports and exports to join an EK
2) EKs are set to 12 player limits, which wouldn't allow for larger scale battles
3) We're in pre-alpha still, so having fewer barriers to test mechanics and gameplay of PVP is beneficial to the health and balance of the game.
4) Test is not always up so we cannot always rely on that server to perform PVP drills.

Bonus points if loot is disabled in this zone and durability doesn't drop from time in combat or deaths, and dragon-statue resurrection timer doesn't apply. 

Edited by Phr00t

On 8/7/2019 at 11:23 AM, C.R.E.A.M said:

This is a good idea. Make the zone have timed bosses (PvE driven PvP) so we can fight each other for them.

Also, just make campaign toons access to EKs without embargo.

The 12 player Ek limit is temporary because they haven't worked out the scaling and don't want to invest server resources on empty servers at this point. EK issues are rather backburner right now but they have a host of problems regarding access and player limits. People have asked ACE to raise those limits if they have a good reason and ACE has manually done so in the past.

Honestly all we need is for the embargo and banking systems to intelligently store our loot so people can move characters between campaigns or eks without losing their storage. The system shouldn't lock me in to a campaign but in stead just treat my loot and embargo as locked, and make sure to strip my equips and inventory to the worl'ds bank when I leave to go scrim in an EK.

Show up at the Ek with the same character, grab my scrim gear out of the bank, and when I'm done gead back to the campaign and grab my gear out of that bank.

Bonus points if it can just remember the inventory and equips in stead of banking them.

We don't need distraction zones in campaigns. Campaigns are a game with specific goals, and if you're present in a campaign world you should be doing stuff that's relevant to said campaign like gathering, crafting, or fighting actual enemies, not screwing around in a subzone having mock battles with your friends or engaging in duels or whatever. That's literally what EKs are for.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

On 8/7/2019 at 8:15 AM, Phr00t said:

To facilitate player-driven content, and help people learn PvP concepts, it would be very useful if there was the opposite of a free city in the campaign. A place where by default, everyone is hostile to each other, unless grouped. The same as a PvP enabled EK, this would allow guilds to fight each other, or spar against guilds of the other faction.

Reasons for this over an EK

1) Campaign world characters are now locked and would need to burn imports and exports to join an EK
2) EKs are set to 12 player limits, which wouldn't allow for larger scale battles
3) We're in pre-alpha still, so having fewer barriers to test mechanics and gameplay of PVP is beneficial to the health and balance of the game.
4) Test is not always up so we cannot always rely on that server to perform PVP drills.

Bonus points if loot is disabled in this zone and durability doesn't drop from time in combat or deaths, and dragon-statue resurrection timer doesn't apply. 

This is actually a really good idea. Nice work Phr00t

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

Campaigns are a game with specific goals

And that is why pre-alpha will continue for quite a while most likely. If campaigns were treated like a test of a far from finished product instead of pretending to be a game, things might be easier to experience, test, report, fix.

This is actually a great suggestion and if people did spend more time dueling in "distraction" zones then that says something about the "game" and content available.

I've played several games where open world pvp dried up once arenas/bgs or "distraction" options became available. Typically because playing running simulator and hide n seek or playing tag/koth gets old on a larger scale. This is especially true when the population to world size is not proportioned correctly.

PVP content in Crowfall: Siege on timers, ganking PVE folks, random fights that are essentially dueling but likely require a lot of wasted time. None of which are very good for testing specifics for a game in development.

Adding a combat test zone/map, with or w/o test friendly options (no loot/decay/fast respawn), would likely be a good addition.

Easing players into PVP, learning how to play for both PVP and PVE, and better testing data as an added bonus. Win/win/win. It would likely ruin the heated competition of 3 factions neck to neck until the very end...

Edited by APE

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, APE said:

PVP content in Crowfall: Siege on timers, ganking PVE folks, random fights that are essentially dueling but likely require a lot of wasted time. None of which are very good for testing specifics for a game in development.

Adding a combat test zone/map, with or w/o test friendly options (no loot/decay/fast respawn), would likely be a good addition.

No. They already wasted enough time by starting out with faction system before a basic ffa, Luckily dregs shouldn't be hard(relatively) to implement other then guild mechanics and applying faction mechanics to a guild structure. In any event, they are now focused on dregs and its release will imho spur quite a lot of activity and will alleviate many of the issues revolving around testing and pvp in faction system.

Edited by mystafyi

2 hours ago, mystafyi said:

No. They already wasted enough time by starting out with faction system before a basic ffa, Luckily dregs shouldn't be hard(relatively) to implement other then guild mechanics and applying faction mechanics to a guild structure. In any event, they are now focused on dregs and its release will imho spur quite a lot of activity and will alleviate many of the issues revolving around testing and pvp in faction system.

How would it be a waste of time? Be it making it FFA or just a another faction map that happens to have different dials turned, seems like a relatively straight forward thing to add to the existing campaign model.

If Dregs is coming soon, sure no biggie, but if it is months off then this wouldn't hurt. Could still have this idea be applied to GR and Factions anyway as it would help players and devs either way.

I really hope Dregs isn't just a copy/paste of the Faction point model with guilds instead of factions controlling strongholds they build or not. Such a lackluster design. If that is all it is, very confused why it took 4+ years to add it.

1 hour ago, APE said:

I really hope Dregs isn't just a copy/paste of the Faction point model with guilds instead of factions controlling strongholds they build or not. Such a lackluster design. If that is all it is, very confused why it took 4+ years to add it.

im willing to bet theyll use those same silly point systems. theyve made no attempt to address it in factions i doubt they are willing to admit its flawed.

if play to crush is the idea, then territory control and destroying the bases of your enemy should already be integral parts of the game. there really is no "crushing" aspect to this game. you take my fort/keep, oh well, get it back in 'x' hours. how is that play to crush?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, oneply said:

im willing to bet theyll use those same silly point systems. theyve made no attempt to address it in factions i doubt they are willing to admit its flawed.

if play to crush is the idea, then territory control and destroying the bases of your enemy should already be integral parts of the game. there really is no "crushing" aspect to this game. you take my fort/keep, oh well, get it back in 'x' hours. how is that play to crush?

It is based on Shadowbane and in that, like the dregs, when you take another guilds city/castle/fort whatever level of base they have built you will raze it to the ground forcing them out of the campaign and/or to start over (ideally with more friends and allies to avoid a repeat.)   The hard part in this is getting crushed (wiped off a server) is often a death call to a small guild where its players then look to join the crushers.   Still, it is the full model, there is no taking back a fort/keep when it is reduced to zero, gone, kaput.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

2 hours ago, Frykka said:

It is based on Shadowbane and in that, like the dregs, when you take another guilds city/castle/fort whatever level of base they have built you will raze it to the ground forcing them out of the campaign and/or to start over (ideally with more friends and allies to avoid a repeat.)   The hard part in this is getting crushed (wiped off a server) is often a death call to a small guild where its players then look to join the crushers.   Still, it is the full model, there is no taking back a fort/keep when it is reduced to zero, gone, kaput.

I don’t think you understand my point. The main draw of their game doesn’t even exist yet in the game. I’ve heard all about how it worked and how it’s supposed to. Dregs is not going to be that tasty carrot you fantasize about.