Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ble

Targeted Healing Breaks with New Targeting System

Posted (edited)

@thomasblair  @jtoddcoleman  Recent changes to your targeting system have been great for offensive ability targeting, but they have also largely eroded the integrity behind landing heal spells.  Please help:

unknown.png

Used to, in Scenario 1, you could land that heal with a left shoulder target easy peasy. You could even land the rescue when the enemy between healer and friendly was almost FULLY eclipsing the healer. Now, with the new targeting, that heal will not miss, but will auto target one of the nearest enemies even though you are clearly targeting a friendly.  You'll see whatever target-side animation your heal does happen on an enemy.  They do not gain health or benefit from any buffs or hots given by the heal.

It gets worse. You'd think Scenario 2 is certain to land. Actually, even at greater Friendly to Enemy distances, that heal will go through the friendly and auto-target the enemy directly behind him with the new targeting system.

As shown in Scenario 3a, in order to land that rescue, the friendly must find a path out of the enemies so that 1) there are no enemy within 3 meters and 2) there is no enemy directly behind them.

The healer still needs to make a left shoulder heal.  If the healer tried to heal the inside shoulder, shown in Scenario 3b, it would instead auto-target to the enemy accordingly.  The enemy "snap-to" of heals is quite expansive.  It feels to me that every enemy is running around with a 3-4 meter wide hitbox and the spells are auto-targeting to the enemy to whose center your target is closest.  This is fine for pew pew.  But you need to give your healer spells that same level of intended-target snap-to.  They cannot be expected to try and navigate a system like whats currently out there and still be dependably effective.

I know that @Hungry has already put up videos showing this, but if necessary, I can make videos to go along with each of these scenarios.

Edited by Ble

Posted (edited)

Additional observations:

1. Spells now all have collision based on their line of targeting.  Druid balls will stop if they hit an enemy or friendly non-group member and appear at that location. 
  2. Druid balls (and other spells such as  Fountain of Life) will not land (anchor and fall to the ground) and instead stay anywhere in the air that you target.
  3. If a friendly is directly behind you, yes BEHIND YOU, and they are in your field of vision, an AOE healing circle can actually go behind you instead of 30 meters away where you're targeting. As though the line of targeting is the FoV of the window instead of the line of site of the character models first person trajectory.
  4. You're targeting an area 30 meters away and an enemy runs through your field of vision at the 15 meter mark?  That's where the healing circle lands.
  5. Some heals, such as Soothing Winds, seem to work as they used to, or close to it.   It might have to do with multi-targeting/chain-targeting, not sure.
  6. Archdruids, after putting down a bunch of balls for a bomb, cannot Blight an area because the Blight collides with enemies/friendlies in front of the area and lands out of place.  (placing the balls is also a problem, for the same collision-based and z-axis issues described above).

If people have more observations I'll add them to this list so the front of the thread stays  current and can be used as a summary.

Edited by Ble

1 minute ago, Yumx said:

All enemy bodies apparently have priority over your aim/powers, even as a healer.

This sentence is particularly well-worded.  Thanks Yumx

I’ll link this in dev partner.

@vkromas @ACE_FancyHats @Stumpstuff Is this all related to a bug or is it intentional? 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Yumx said:

@Ble all that work for them just to say that they were already fixing it.. How you feeling? 😁

Submitting feedback and bug reports feels about the same as hitting a fort wall, ToL, or bane tree, no feedback whatsoever until it's dead.

edit: this is obviously an exaggeration but it does get frustrating not knowing what is seen or not. TY @ACE_FancyHats for adding reactions in the bug threads, it makes a huge difference just knowing that someone read the submissions.

Edited by KatzeWeiss

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Yumx said:

@Ble all that work for them just to say that they were already fixing it.. How you feeling? 😁

I feel nothing.  ACE track record does not allow me to take "we are fixing it" as anything of substance.

Should we discuss WILL-O-WISP  we are fixing it May 2019

Edited by Pann
Reduced font size

2 hours ago, KatzeWeiss said:

Submitting feedback and bug reports feels about the same as hitting a fort wall, ToL, or bane tree, no feedback whatsoever until it's dead.

edit: this is obviously an exaggeration but it does get frustrating not knowing what is seen or not. TY @ACE_FancyHats for adding reactions in the bug threads, it makes a huge difference just knowing that someone read the submissions.

You're welcome! I'm always reading and tracking things. While I wish that meant they were fixed instantly, the best I can do is try to keep ya'll informed. At the same time, people here at ACE are working really hard to get fixes and and at the same time continue development. ❤️

4 minutes ago, ACE_FancyHats said:

You're welcome! I'm always reading and tracking things. While I wish that meant they were fixed instantly, the best I can do is try to keep ya'll informed. At the same time, people here at ACE are working really hard to get fixes and and at the same time continue development. ❤️

and this is why you are my favorite dev ;D + plus the cool name.

Just now, ACE_FancyHats said:

Can you give us an idea of whats wrong? 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

@ACE_FancyHats 

Just an idea, which will assist in fixing Druid Classes over Cleric (sorry clerics). You can assign priority auto targeting to allies over enemies when swapped to the Life Tray and back to Enemy when in the Death Tray.

Clerics are a bit more complicated. You would need to make sure to have two auto acquisition points, and the system will need to prioritize friendly vs enemy per ability being used. (Sorry Devs its gonna be a few long work weeks for you).

One of the biggest complaints is about Field Surgeon Rescue. Quick fix for that would be to reset cool down if no healing is received. That way we can try the heal again if it snaps to an enemy. (Temporary Solution)

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, C.R.E.A.M said:

@ACE_FancyHats 

Just an idea, which will assist in fixing Druid Classes over Cleric (sorry clerics). You can assign priority auto targeting to allies over enemies when swapped to the Life Tray and back to Enemy when in the Death Tray.

Clerics are a bit more complicated. You would need to make sure to have two auto acquisition points, and the system will need to prioritize friendly vs enemy per ability being used. (Sorry Devs its gonna be a few long work weeks for you).

One of the biggest complaints is about Field Surgeon Rescue. Quick fix for that would be to reset cool down if no healing is received. That way we can try the heal again if it snaps to an enemy. (Temporary Solution)

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop. Good luck!

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Please, why autotargeting, its a gamebreaker for me!😥

Tabtargeting / autotargeting is no skill an so early 2k in development

Im waiting for Alpha before testing again to avoid being burned out, see you soon.

"Nemo Saltat Sobrius"

Veteran member of Aesir, visit us at aoc-gaming.se