Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tinnis

visual noise: health bar options?

Posted (edited)

@nblottie

mass fights still result in a large degree of 'visual noise'.

a large part of this is the excessively large health bars, but there are obviously many other elements going on as well.

any possibility of a client setting option that would allow you to automatically hide a health bar when it is full?

bonus if you can set:

- separately for enemies, allies and group.

- to only display when lower than a defined %

- to only display when either damaged/healed/shielded within last ~5 (X) seconds

- controls over the maximum size/width of the bar (probably 2-3 times as wide as it should be atm...)
 or alternative shapes such as a minimalist globe [e.g. tyranny minimal 'traffic globe' example]

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Yeah, it's going to be a challenge for sure, what happens when we go into 100v100 fights sometime in the future?
Healthbars would have to be ________ thin :D 

Also hiding full healthbars would be cool as an option, as long as they keep their name visual.

pJ5xyok.png
My Twitch - My Youtube - Apply to Vanguard HERE!

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Yumx said:

Yeah, it's going to be a challenge for sure, what happens when we go into 100v100 fights sometime in the future?

Also hiding full healthbars would be cool as an option, as long as they keep their name visual.

yea - hiding full healthbars would retain their Faction/Guild shield and (white/red) coloured name.

seems like the simplest to implement optional solution as well.

Edited by Tinnis

Just now, Tinnis said:

yea - hiding full healthbars would retain their Faction/Guild shield and (white/red) coloured name

Or maybe the option to keybind, to switch between different healthbar options in fights.
Enable/Disable friendly healthbars
Enable/Disable Enemy healthbars
Enable/Disable Full health healthbars
etc.

The game does not require a lot of keybinds, so it wouldn't be a problem to adds some of those options to be used while engaging in fights.

pJ5xyok.png
My Twitch - My Youtube - Apply to Vanguard HERE!

I wouldn't mind if they had an option to remove the factions shield above their head as well and either make the players name their faction colour or change the colour of their clothes.

Posted (edited)

Like the ideas for removing the hard bar per the OP.  Just to toss out idea, another way to simplify the display of health bar when it does appear, is option for circular view (think total war 3 kingdoms) - uses less area to tell the story. 

GKy4Jp4.png

Edited by Damarus

I've been complaining about this for a while. We really need options to toggle/scale all of the UI elements is what it comes down to. The UI is a FPS hog too if you ever try turning it off and then on you'll gain significant FPS with it off. 

We need a much better HUD for what you do have targeted that shows name, hitpoints, buff/debuffs, etc. That way we don't need all of the names/hitpoint bars everywhere which clutter the screen. 

In Darkfall there were no names or hitpoint bars above peoples heads, just different colored crests (blue = alliance, green = friendly, red = enemy, etc.). What many did in big fights was leave crests on for ally/friendly and off for enemy and then it became really easy to ID friend from foe even at long range. 

unknown.png

There's a lot of good examples of visual clutter in Glavia's War Story video around the 7:00 mark.

unknown.png

27 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

example 

9AduEqS.png

cba to get a picture from a siege. they are complete cluster ****s 

I'd cut the name and hp bar and scale the crest down. Would require a better HUD though for what you are targeting. 

unknown.png

Posted (edited)

related issue:

no scaling based on distance for: shields, names and bars.

fixed sizes, whether displaying at maximum render distance or on top of you

at a distance they tower above the size of actual player models, especially in a crowd.

Edited by Tinnis

3 minutes ago, blazzen said:

Building the health bar into the shield is a cool idea. 

Could make a colored border around the shield that empties downward like this globe. The bordered HP bars we used to use to see barriers were pretty readable without being intrusive and only took a few pixels extra real estate in a practical sense.

Take that approach with color coding and some "single crest" options (e.g. "show me only guild" or "only nation/faction") etc.

For extra oomph, you could even have the option setting to dynamically adjust crest displays based on parcel state. For instance maybe I want to see guild crests and faction crests in the open world but I only want to see faction crests during a siege or fort fight. You could also dynamically adjust this just based upon players in view range. 5v5 fight? its giving me a lot of data and big HP bars so that I can more cleanly target manage. Giant siege? I don't actually need that much detailed information so shrink down the shileds, use only one, and use the mini border bar so I have a better view of the overall battlefield.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, blazzen said:

Building the health bar into the shield is a cool idea. 

1 hour ago, PopeUrban said:

Could make a colored border around the shield that empties downward like this globe.

g2NZi3P.gif

Edited by Tinnis

Like this but with a shield in stead of a circle. I'd photoshop it but I'm not in front of a PC with photoshop right now.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Yumx said:

Health as a boarder around the faction shield might work to reduce visual noise.

Heh, started this before seeing @Tinnis's and @PopeUrban's posts.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken