Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ZYBAK

Crowfall State of the Game: August 2019 (Commentary)

This is a fantastic patch for new and returning players. I highly recommend everyone brush up on the game if you're planning on returning for the "DREGS" like many people are planning on doing.

There's some annoying stuff but overall it's pretty good. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, smoot said:

Thanks for actually getting a clip of invisible druid bombs one shotting. Where is the counter play here? I swear that's 90% of my deaths...

@

https://youtu.be/sWvBrAYKPag?t=541

The bomb does show up before it kills him. In theory he could have moved away from it. But he was rooted, and there is a current bug that makes it so you can't break out of a root most of the time.

qbQVXjs.png

And in the second one, he actually walks right into the visible bombs because he's got his camera turned around, not watching where he is going.

JgmYKa6.png

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jah said:

The bomb does show up before it kills him. In theory he could have moved away from it. But he was rooted, and there is a current bug that makes it so you can't break out of a root most of the time.

qbQVXjs.png

So it's intentional to not see the bombs until triggered? I was under the impression you could see the stacks of balls and they turned angry when triggered.

Edited by smoot

1 minute ago, smoot said:

So it's intentional to not see the bombs until triggered? I was under the impression you could see the stacks of balls and they turned angry when triggered.

Yes, that is intentional. There is a short window of time where you can react. The problem is mostly that Retaliating out of Roots is broken.

IhhQKY6.gif

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jah said:

Yes, that is intentional. There is a short window of time where you can react. The problem is mostly that Retaliating out of Roots is broken.

Looking at the video it's about 1 to 1.5 seconds to react. That's a pretty tight window for getting one shot considering FPS and lag issues. Add in that you are going to need to retaliate as well and it seems like something may need to be retuned there

edit: went frame by frame, he had less than one second from it showing up to dying. Honestly without the ability to remove enemy balls it feels like they would be just as strong if visible to enemies with much less hogwash factor

Edited by smoot

9 minutes ago, smoot said:

Thanks for actually getting a clip of invisible druid bombs one shotting. Where is the counter play here? I swear that's 90% of my deaths...

@

https://youtu.be/sWvBrAYKPag?t=541

The bomb was not totally invis, but only one orb-bomb showed up and only when it was about ready to detonate. You can see the one bomb there for about a full second, maybe two (unless all bombs were stacked on top of each other? dunno). I haven't played in a long time, not sure how long the bombs stay around once triggered before they explode. As someone who always enjoyed vanilla druid / current archdruid gameplay and considers it one of the scarce few classes that still have any interesting flavor to it, I'd hate to see this nerfed into oblivion. The game sorely needs good AoE and this is one of the few left. Plus the explosion radius used to be 4m range, pretty hard to hit consistently and very easy to dodge if you exclude things like root bugs, terrible performance, etc. It also takes a long time to set up these bombs at the right place. Honestly would hate to see this nerfed.

3 minutes ago, smoot said:

Looking at the video it's about 1 to 1.5 seconds to react. That's a pretty tight window for getting one shot considering FPS and lag issues. Add in that you are going to need to retaliate as well and it seems like something may need to be retuned there

You can also hit your ultimate so you are invulnerable when it goes off.

IhhQKY6.gif

Posted (edited)

I'd still prefer blight to be pulsing damage field (similar to ballista fire arrows) that does more damage per tick the more orbs it impacts than direct damage that can one shot people. They could also lower the number of orbs you can detonate at once and lower the cooldown on blight. 

The last time I suggested one shot abilities were bad for the game the Druid Union tried to lynch me so I'll leave it at that :P 

2 minutes ago, Jah said:

I thought ultimates are just a barrier now equal to ~ 1/3 of your HP and no longer an invuln. Better chance to live with the barrier absorbing the damage though. 

Edited by blazzen

2 minutes ago, Jah said:

A single player causing 5-10+ other players to lose their ultimate before the fight even starts seems rough, even if it takes 30 seconds to set up the trap

15 minutes ago, smoot said:

A single player causing 5-10+ other players to lose their ultimate before the fight even starts seems rough, even if it takes 30 seconds to set up the trap

If Retaliate worked properly against Roots it wouldn't be an issue, imo.

IhhQKY6.gif

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Jah said:

If Retaliate worked properly against Roots it wouldn't be an issue, imo.

Doesn't retaliate have a bit of animation lock? Even if it works it's approaching the minimum human reaction time. What happens when you get someone to play an archdruid besides Xarrayne? One you can retaliate, one you can ult. Now you can't push until your CDs are up? Seems like it would be just as useful a tool if enemies could see them. You are forced to break down more walls, take different paths through the forts and keeps, and choose how to engage a small fort circle filled with bombs. Right now it's push a button in 1.5s in the middle of a fight or die.

Edited by smoot

13 minutes ago, KatzeWeiss said:

Zybak: goes on a minute and a half tirade about how OP Archer Rangers are.

Also Zybak: "I'm playing really bad here" 1 v 2 vs the guy he used as an example how OP rangers are and wins.

sounds legit.

the hamster seem to kill geared hoa and w people pretty well. 

Also seemed like balathan was attacking undergeared people with top of the line gear. 

2 hours ago, smoot said:

Doesn't retaliate have a bit of animation lock? Even if it works it's approaching the minimum human reaction time. What happens when you get someone to play an archdruid besides Xarrayne? One you can retaliate, one you can ult. Now you can't push until your CDs are up? Seems like it would be just as useful a tool if enemies could see them. You are forced to break down more walls, take different paths through the forts and keeps, and choose how to engage a small fort circle filled with bombs. Right now it's push a button in 1.5s in the middle of a fight or die.

use escape artist if you dont like being rooted

hoayaga2.jpg

Posted (edited)

TBH I've always been critical of the invisible orbs. Pro Druids have always told me I'm stupid.

I've always felt that bombs would be more interesting if the orbs remained visible (enemy orbs colored yellow or something) to use as a zoning threat, and had their explosion radius increased to about double what it is now with clear ground marks for mazimum explosion radius. This seems much more appropriate for druid orbs as they're dual purpose devices. If you successfully zone people with your orb trap it isn't wasted resources as they can still be used as a fallback position for heals. Even fully visible no matter what you do with a druid orb its useful.

Then you'd have affirmative counters to breach that area like:

• Pummeling the people standing behind it with ranged attacks so they panic-eat the orbs for HP
  • Walk around
  • Make a coordinated tank rush to eat the damage with ults

It would also help to differentiate them from traps, because traps are a thing now, and there's an entire promotion class built around traps that's worse at functional traps than a druid. Currently those traps are visible to all but we were told that eventually they should obey the same stealth and perception rules as players, which is a much more reasonable counter (get a perception scout) than "dodge out of the way in 1.5 seconds even though retaliate takes like .6 seconds to animate and you're in combat tray and blocked in by who knows how many allies and you had no idea this was going to be an issue unless you've been staring at the floor for 30 seconds in stead of fighting and meticulously memorized the tiny green farts where each orb was placed"

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"