Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darksun_

3m melee, why not skill shot ranged

Posted (edited)

3m melee is taking some adjusting. I can work on it. Am I the only one to notice you can miss at 1m?

So you can be 4m off and hit someone with range, but melee would miss a basic attack at 4m.

Can we make ranged more of a skill shot?

Sorry for the edit, I need to clarify this a bit.

At work and shouldn't be posting 😋

Edited by Darksun_

3m range isn't ideal to begin with, I get that the animations look weird when you can melee things from farther off but the hit detection is way too glitchy on moving targets. Call it desync, call it lag, whatever, it just feels bad when you are literally running against a target's hit box and missing swings because the server says you are out of range.

I agree the 3m range doesn't feel good. I wanted to give the new change some time before I made a post about it, but I can't see my opinion changing on the topic. I find that I need to sprint during mutli action combos to try and get them to land despite starting the combo pressed against the target. Open field engagements are far more frustrating as targets are falling back or fleeing, because if the target goes into survival tray and runs it makes landing attacks nearly impossible.

1 hour ago, KatzeWeiss said:

3m range isn't ideal to begin with, I get that the animations look weird when you can melee things from farther off but the hit detection is way too glitchy on moving targets. Call it desync, call it lag, whatever, it just feels bad when you are literally running against a target's hit box and missing swings because the server says you are out of range.

Its way better when you're 1m on the targets back and still cant land anything as their running away . 3m range / netcode needs to be addressed if they want to go forward with it being the new norm.

3 minutes ago, Darksun_ said:

So no one wants to talk about how ranged accuracy is a joke? Perhaps this discussion already happened?

Its been discussed many, many times over the years.

IhhQKY6.gif

Posted (edited)

So is it broken or working as intended?

@Jah

If we are adjusting melee to not be like polearms or whatever. Shouldn't we adjust ranges to not be rockets?

Edited by Darksun_

Nothing I've seen so far points to this game being able to properly handle projectiles well enough to make ranged attacks work any differently than they do now. If anything the 3m change needs to be reverted, the lag and desync has been exposed.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Darksun_ said:

So is it broken or working as intended?

Yes? It's most definitely broken, but it's not a bug.

Until they get into a proper Alpha, Ace is more concerned about getting all the pieces of the game in place than they are with balancing the elements they already have 'working'.

For us, that means if it's not so broken that it's breaking the rest of the game, it'll probably go untouched for a good while. Once Ace decides that an imbalance is harming their test environment, they balance it with a sledge hammer and go back to development.

Edited by VaMei

Posted (edited)

@VaMei

Then why change Melee????

So 5m Melee was breaking the game. You can't adjust one without even looking at the other if you ask me. Or perhaps they don't know how bad ranged is. 

Edited by Darksun_

Melee range was increased to 5m to cover up desync and latency issues. I seem to recall hearing that it was 7m at one point.

Now that the character controller has been replaced and many of the latency issues have been resolved, they wanted to test it with 3m to see where they really stand.

Now they know.😭

5 minutes ago, VaMei said:

Yes? It's most definitely broken, but it's not a bug.

Until they get into a proper Alpha, Ace is more concerned about getting all the pieces of the game in place than they are with balancing the elements they already have 'working'.

For us, that means if it's not so broken that it's breaking the rest of the game, it'll probably go untouched for a good while. Once Ace decides that an imbalance is harming their test environment, they balance it with a sledge hammer and go back to development.

Actually that makes no sense. I'm assuming they didnt want melee having 5m range not sure where that came about from since I've been following the forums even with the break I took from CF.   Its already shown that the desync "lag" is already a big problem but if its for "balance" purposes then its no more acceptable than this.

This must be the 6th or 7th post about this over the years.  It’s been raised many times and we’ve yet to get a real answer about ray cast ranged attacks and the absurdity of how easy it is to hit with ranged attacks. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

1 hour ago, Darksun_ said:

I guess we should ask in the next Q&A.

@thomasblair

I’ll link this to the dev partner boards, give it some more visibility to them. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Posted (edited)

So that is helpful, but I can't read that board.

So wait, is this "dev partner board" were all the real questions and choices are made and these boards are well... kind of a waste of time? (I didn't invest enough money to take my opinions seriously.) 

Edited by Darksun_

That's where the 1st investors that made the game possible go to carry on and complain. From what I've gathered, the senior devs have more direct debate with them, but often the answer is still either no or not now.

Our posts here are read by the top devs, but they generally don't engage us directly except to tell us how something is currently working.

Anytime a dev chimes in on a topic, it skews the debate as dozens of others chime in with off the wall or unrelated ideas. If a debate does peak their interest, they'll take it up in the less public space.

Posted (edited)

The dev board should be visible to all, but only those 1st investors get to post with the devs. CWDS_zpsfnoy5v3j.png

Edited by Myra