Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PaleOne

News cycle— disappointing —

Hey guys—

Just wanted to let the dev team know that the one thing that keeps this game alive is hope for an amazing future—

Without  your energy and vision enthusiasm wanes.

Got a notice from twitch today about the channel being live and got excited— only to see another guest streamer—

We are seeing guild participation drop lower and lower—— people are leaving in droves —

You need to feed this fire before it goes out.

Even if you at least give us an outline of your intentions — we at least won’t be disappointed 

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

The news feed stopped because they are planning marketing stuff for the dregs. There will be a huge news/hype/marketing push in the next 60 days with the dregs patch.

TLDR Blame marketing

34 minutes ago, Zatch said:

The news feed stopped because they are planning marketing stuff for the dregs. There will be a huge news/hype/marketing push in the next 60 days with the dregs patch.

TLDR Blame marketing

I’ve seen one reference to the dregs is the last 45 days...

and just like everything else in the pipeline the only reference was

”soon”

I don’t care if it’s a live stream or just a forum post but we need SOMETHING a little more concrete..

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

1 hour ago, Zatch said:

LOL you don't really believe the stuff that comes out of your mouth do you?

51 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

LOL you don't really believe the stuff that comes out of your mouth do you?

It isn't a coincidence that as soon as they hired a marketing person the news feed dried up. The dregs is planned for by the end of the year. Id be willing to bet they have a marketing/hype plan for the next major patch. 

17 minutes ago, Zatch said:

It isn't a coincidence that as soon as they hired a marketing person the news feed dried up. 

I wasn't aware they hired someone for marketing recently, I am curious as to which division the marketing hire went to. I can not think of a reason why anyone would hire a marketing person to shut down news. Its not like the game is getting ready to launch soon and want to build hype, that I could understand. They have been screwing up their Q&A's of late, is this part of that marketing strategy?

21 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

I wasn't aware they hired someone for marketing recently, I am curious as to which division the marketing hire went to. I can not think of a reason why anyone would hire a marketing person to shut down news. Its not like the game is getting ready to launch soon and want to build hype, that I could understand. They have been screwing up their Q&A's of late, is this part of that marketing strategy?

They've explained this stuff.

IhhQKY6.gif

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

The VP of marketing is named Debbie Sue. ACE-more than likely-has a set schedule of updates planned for x number of weeks before they intend to launch the next major patch which will be a significant factor in revitalizing Crowfalls population.

This time table is created based on market research analyzing the attention span of potential customers and maximizing that information to create sales. 

Julys QA was delayed because Todd wasn't in Austin. September seems like the month to begin their push with the guild videos maybe they are delaying August for that or to wait for enough questions to arise from the p2w forums. 

We are entering the marketing phase of Crowfall where every public thing ACE does is to maximize PR and the number of sales that comes with it. 

Edited by Zatch

38 minutes ago, Zatch said:

The VP of marketing is named Debbie Sue. ACE-more than likely-has a set schedule of updates planned for x number of weeks before they intend to launch the next major patch which will be a significant factor in revitalizing Crowfalls population.

This time table is created based on market research analyzing the attention span of potential customers and maximizing that information to create sales. 

Julys QA was delayed because Todd wasn't in Austin. September seems like the month to begin their push with the guild videos maybe they are delaying August for that or to wait for enough questions to arise from the p2w forums. 

We are entering the marketing phase of Crowfall where every public thing ACE does is to maximize PR and the number of sales that comes with it. 

hopefully we see an increase in players then

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Zatch said:

On June 20th Pann said we'd start seeing one news story a week and occasional blogs. News sounding like fluff for the general public and Blogs being more of what I assume most of us expect "News" to be.

Been about 10 weeks since then and we've had 1 Q&A (2nd canceled), 1 "News" fluff piece, and 5.100 update info. Unless War Stories are considered News, they seem to have changed their plans without saying anything.

Curious what you mean by "huge" as a post on ~2 game sites and an email blast is the typical milestone "big news" format.

While companies are obviously always marketing, actual throw money at it seemed to be on hold until post soft-launch, at least that is what they've said.

We aren't even in "alpha" yet so spending resources marketing to a likely minuscule group doesn't seem useful.

Not sure how ignoring current population in hopes to make a big push to bring in a smaller group and then continue to repeat the cycle is smart business. Maybe it is just semi cash grab in some regards to get that initial $50 before people get bored and leave? Again this doesn't seem wise with the ripple it causes.

Hyping up the Dregs prior to actually testing it at all or seeing feedback from the dwindling active fans seems like a poor move as well.

Inviting in a fresh group or bringing back folks that have left to have them leave disgruntled after being exposed to yet another bug filled and broken update doesn't sound like good marketing.

For a company that some claim "is the most transparent ever!!!!" I have to ask what they believe transparent means.

Edited by APE

1 hour ago, APE said:

On June 20th Pann said we'd start seeing one news story a week and occasional blogs. News sounding like fluff for the general public and Blogs being more of what I assume most of us expect "News" to be.

Been about 10 weeks since then and we've had 1 Q&A (2nd canceled), 1 "News" fluff piece, and 5.100 update info. Unless War Stories are considered News, they seem to have changed their plans without saying anything.

Curious what you mean by "huge" as a post on ~2 game sites and an email blast is the typical milestone "big news" format.

While companies are obviously always marketing, actual throw money at it seemed to be on hold until post soft-launch, at least that is what they've said.

We aren't even in "alpha" yet so spending resources marketing to a likely minuscule group doesn't seem useful.

Not sure how ignoring current population in hopes to make a big push to bring in a smaller group and then continue to repeat the cycle is smart business. Maybe it is just semi cash grab in some regards to get that initial $50 before people get bored and leave? Again this doesn't seem wise with the ripple it causes.

Hyping up the Dregs prior to actually testing it at all or seeing feedback from the dwindling active fans seems like a poor move as well.

Inviting in a fresh group or bringing back folks that have left to have them leave disgruntled after being exposed to yet another bug filled and broken update doesn't sound like good marketing.

For a company that some claim "is the most transparent ever!!!!" I have to ask what they believe transparent means.

agreed. 

If you watched ACE streams, Debbie was always against giving out details of incoming features. JTodd normally does not listen to her, but I guess giving away too many details and not meeting expactations hurt more than not announcing anything and then hitting with sudden news bomb.

To be honest people are not playing, because there is no reason to, besides learning the game. Rewards do not matter (they are bad), winning does not matter (noone tryhards, expect people who get fun from any win), grinding does not matter (wipe is coming). Engamenents are rare and rarely fun (especially on EU, maps are too big, population is too low, gear difference is usually massive). There is nothing wrong with it. You can't expect game to be fun until release. If you don't enjoy it, just take a break.

Posted (edited)

Blaming marketing is quite harsh since Debby Sue is allready a year there and most QA / Streams were way better before Quality and Question wise. We had awesome streams with @vkromas , @ShadowLion, @Melissa which prepared them self before and after a Stream. What (most of us) just want is interaction with the Developers. But most of the content feels like 0815 auto generated reused content most of the time.  I played multiple games for a long time even if i hadn't fun with the game it self. Alot of players feel aboned which is their right, because a community isnt really existing only some "players" that want to shine through.

I hope that ACE will  realise that we dont need a Q&A everytime with Todd or Blair, with the right setup everybody(even @ACE_JackalBark NO PERSONAL ATTACK just picked a person) of the ACE team could make a wonderful interaction with the community.

Edited by DravoiX

rUQlYHs.png

Getting updates two and sometimes three times a week definitely spoiled us, but the recent trend has left us starved for information. We rarely even get patch notes any more, which really kills my motivation to test things.

Scheduling the Q&A, canceling it at the last minute, and then not giving us any kind of update going on 2 weeks is disappointing. We're quickly running out of time in August for the August Q&A. I understand the need/desire to market the game, but when everything is geared toward attracting new players, it leaves existing players feeling forgotten. 

45 minutes ago, Arkade said:

I understand the need/desire to market the game, but when everything is geared toward attracting new players, it leaves existing players feeling forgotten. 

There already have been several generations of crows. Each tide leaves only a few crows at the beach. New tides roll in new generations. That's just how it works.

I don't see how a small company like ACE should be able to keep up the level of communication and community support they provided within the first year, and even the following two years ... and obviously not even as in the last year. With each generation, the intensity decreased ... and had to.

As one of the first crows I don't like it either. I loved "the old days". A lot. It was magic what they did. But I also don't see an alternative. They need to move towards what they can provide for tenthousands of active players after launch. I think the old crows need to understand that they are old crows, that surviving is a hell of an achievement, and that a new tide is coming.

I think the only thing to really decide is wether to grab some roots of a nearby Tree of Life ... or to let go and be washed away into the nothingness behind the hunger.

2W1ZHpA.jpg