Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bignick22000

Access to EK's from campaigns?

I love the Idea of EK's but with the heavy import export limits my small group of friends have found our-self's spending less time in this place we created to meet, duel, craft, and prepare for PvP. Not to mention people are less likely to visit our shops now. 

I feel like their needs to be a way to connect your EK with the current campaign that can be accessed through a portal at the faction temple. The EK could start dry at the same time as the campaign and allow only goods that have been harvested or looted from that campaign to go back and fourth.  Maybe the portal can give access to a window with a list of other players EK's that are open to the public allowing players to explore other EK's and shop at their leisure.

What do all you guys think? Personally I would love this.

The EK will probably be used as a guild hub. Vendors, castles etc and wouldn't start over. The EK will probably be the place everyone goes right before the campaign to gear up. 

I'm against it. I think we could probably get rid of EQ's and add housing in gods reach, in the back area with the level 1 mobs running around.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

EKs took a couple hits when they added vendors to campaigns and added the AFK logout timer. There were a number of players who ran successful EK markets in prior builds, myself included. We do need something to make them more useful, but connecting them to campaigns isn't the answer. Neither is getting rid of them and placing housing in God's Reach. ACE has sold not just housing, but parcels as well, and given out some parcels as rewards. If you remove EKs, then you remove the ability to place parcels, so that isn't happening.

Linking EKs to God's Reach might work. It could be a single portal that enables players to select an EK and travel to it. Basically, just a short cut to logging out and then connecting to an EK.

That alone probably wouldn't be enough to make EKs relevant. One of the original ideas for EKs was that it would be a place to house relics and artifacts, which would provide players with buffs. What if they provided crafting buffs to everyone in the EK? That would certainly entice people to craft in EKs rather than in God's Reach. And if people are crafting there, then it stands to reason that they will shop there as well.

2 hours ago, bignick22000 said:

I love the Idea of EK's but with the heavy import export limits my small group of friends have found our-self's spending less time in this place we created to meet, duel, craft, and prepare for PvP. Not to mention people are less likely to visit our shops now. 

I feel like their needs to be a way to connect your EK with the current campaign that can be accessed through a portal at the faction temple. The EK could start dry at the same time as the campaign and allow only goods that have been harvested or looted from that campaign to go back and fourth.  Maybe the portal can give access to a window with a list of other players EK's that are open to the public allowing players to explore other EK's and shop at their leisure.

I see a logical problem in connecting EK's to CW's.

EK assets can be bought with real money. If we would be able to connect them to CW's without restrictions, there would be a pay2win poorly made socksstorm. So this definitely won't happen.
Unless any possible advantages provided by houses and land get neutralized.
But then, if there are no advantages at all, why should anybody bring their EK's to the CW's?

There are ways that may make sense, though.

Here are two of things that have been discussed with/mentioned by Todd throughout the years.

First, with the new island-maps system it would be technically and theoretically possible to build EK's into campaigns. They would just be another island. Imagine monarchs providing their EK to serve as the "Free City" island on a world map. Or a guild vs. guild map, existing solely out of guild EK's who fight against each other. Of course this leads to a lot of questions about how this could be handled and it's a nice-to-have thing, not something lethal to the game. So we won't get there tomorrow. But there is a chance that we may get there one day.

Second, the portal and embargo systems could be able to allow to do without the lobby. There would just be portals in the EK's, leading to the campaigns, and vice versa. Of course the export/import restrictions would apply, so it wouldn't really change anything. Items on the vessel would just be transfered to the world bank, when the vessel leaves a world. There are several pro and contra arguments, and it surely is no priority. But it was discussed and again, maybe one day we will get there.

So, there are possible options. If we come up with more of them, the devs will surely listen (though they most likely won't consider any new idea to become something else but an after-launch feature - already enough on the plate ;) ).

2W1ZHpA.jpg

2 hours ago, Silverback said:

The EK will probably be used as a guild hub. Vendors, castles etc and wouldn't start over. The EK will probably be the place everyone goes right before the campaign to gear up. 

I'm against it. I think we could probably get rid of EQ's and add housing in gods reach, in the back area with the level 1 mobs running around.

so how would you get rid of eks and provide compensation to the original backers who spent hundreds to thousands of dollars each on em. 

I think connect some ek to god's reach can be a good idea if it's a reward from GvG campaign for exemple, it will give more sense to the vassal/nobles system. We can imagine small guild pledge allegiance to bigger to get a parcel in their ek to get some vendors. But if they do things like that vendor need to disappear from earth temple. 

Ek needs an update but i dont think it's their priority currently.

5 minutes ago, royo said:

I think connect some ek to god's reach can be a good idea if it's a reward from GvG campaign for exemple, it will give more sense to the vassal/nobles system. We can imagine small guild pledge allegiance to bigger to get a parcel in their ek to get some vendors. But if they do things like that vendor need to disappear from earth temple. 

Ek needs an update but i dont think it's their priority currently.

I mean everything you just said can be done without gr.

2 minutes ago, Marth said:

I mean everything you just said can be done without gr.

sure but it's more immersive to go in an ek from a portal in game than from the lobby, just my opinion .

Just now, royo said:

sure but it's more immersive to go in an ek from a portal in game than from the lobby, just my opinion .

gr is only ment for new people  eks are supposed to be the hub for in between campaigns. 

On 8/30/2019 at 9:04 AM, Silverback said:

To be honest I like that idea as well or better. I would just like a spot or an area to in the campaign to call mine where friends and guild mates can craft and gear up.

Persistent player housing in open world games always ends up in vacant ghost towns of players long gone.

If player housing is in player run realms, the broader game (and the open world database) isn't haunted by the ghosts of the past.

In the dying worlds, there's no reason not to allow free building, but buildings not collected before the death of the world might well go with it.

Edited by VaMei

3 minutes ago, VaMei said:

Persistent player housing in open world games always ends up in vacant ghost towns of players long gone.

If player housing is in player run realms, the broader game (and the open world database) isn't haunted by the ghosts of the past.

That does happen over time, along with the issue of lack of area's in game world for new players. Instanced housing by its very nature is a vacant ghost town for the vast majority of time. Wildstar had a housing system similar to Crowfalls. Outside of some early skateparks built by players, housing there ended up ghost towns. Since in my experience, both persistant and instance housing tend to end up as ghost towns, I think the real issue is twofold; one is the clutter left behind from players long gone, the other is lack of space late game for new players. Both can be addressed with some sort of upkeep or other game design. 

On 8/30/2019 at 11:22 AM, bignick22000 said:

I like the idea except in no way should it bypass the import and export rules of the campaigns. I actually think that they should have player crafted ruin gates that we can put into our EK so we can jump from one EK to another and into/out of the campaigns without logging in and out the lobby. It will help the immersion of the game and kinda make custom maps. But as said, this should never be a way  bypass the import/export rules.

Edited by Kcing