Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Numa

Playing Conqueror's Blade - gave me an idea

Recommended Posts

Hello Crowfall Community,

tl;dr's - could a que up for arena fight mode for those seeking immediate combat gratification be a fun option?

It is likely this idea has already been discussed - but for full disclosure - I didn't do a full "forum review" (is this a new term for literature review?)

Recently I have been playing Conqueror's Blade - very fun and simple combat action type MMO - (think Mount & Blade's single player mode turned into an MMORPG) or for those of you who enjoyed the wonderful cRPG mod for Mount & Blade: Warband - think an upgraded version of that.

Crowfall's throne wars idea is great. But generally I have 1 to 2 hours to game. (I am a dad gamer with a full-time job, kids, and limited time) Sometimes I want an easily accessible and really fun combat experience. But I also like the level up, gather resources, craft gear, build a city, etc...piece of MMO's. It makes me feel like everything is just a bit more meaningful.

Can Crowfall be a 2-in-1er? I am sure there are technological hurdles, likely insurmountable, but would like a simple arena deathmatch type game be an option players would like?

Let me know what you think and have a wonderful week!

Best,

Numa

 

Edited by Numa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Numa said:

Hello Crowfall Community,

tl;dr's - could a que up for arena fight mode for those seeking immediate combat gratification be a fun option?

It is likely this idea has already been discussed - but for full disclosure - I didn't do a full "forum review" (is this a new term for literature review?)

Recently I have been playing Conqueror's Blade - very fun and simple combat action type MMO - (think Mount & Blade's single player mode turned into an MMORPG) or for those of you who enjoyed the wonderful cRPG mod for Mount & Blade: Warband - think an upgraded version of that.

Crowfall's throne wars idea is great. But generally I have 1 to 2 hours to game. (I am a dad gamer with a full-time job, kids, and limited time) Sometimes I want an easily accessible and really fun combat experience. But I also like the level up, gather resources, craft gear, build a city, etc...piece of MMO's. It makes me feel like everything is just a big more meaningful.

Can Crowfall be a 2-in-1er? I am sure their are technological hurdles, likely insurmountable, but I would like a simple arena deathmatch type game be an option players would like?

Let me know what you think and have a wonderful week!

Best,

Numa

 

I'm in the same boat (gamer dad). Long time Crowfall backer. I also currently play Conqueror's Blade.

I wouldn't expect any type of instanced or queued PVP From Crowfall.

That said, once you are leveled up and geared up, if you show up for the prime time fort/siege fights you can get 1-2 hours of PVP in much like you would in CB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Numa said:

could a que up for arena fight mode for those seeking immediate combat gratification be a fun option?

Can Crowfall be a 2-in-1er? I am sure there are technological hurdles, likely insurmountable, but would like a simple arena deathmatch type game be an option players would like?

Crowfall testing started with the Hunger Dome. Plenty of videos on youtube. Basically was a battle royale. Drop into the world with a group, find gear in chests or from mobs, kill other teams until the last team/player was a live. Had a red light shoot into the sky when someone died and the usual wall of death closing in so many fights took place in a very cramped space with players knocking each out to be killed by the hunger.

For the most part it seemed like people enjoyed it. Which isn't surprising with how popular such formats are in comparison to MMOs where even when there is a population, running to the action can take up a good chunk of time.

No idea if they could/would ever bring such a thing back, but clearly ACE is capable of doing it already.

I could easily see myself hopping into it when I had limited time, no guildies online, nothing happening in general, etc which might be more frequent then not if there isn't more meaningful things to do in Campaigns all the time.

With the stronghold timer system, it shouldn't be too tricky to hit a siege or find some action come launch, I hope. If CF is popular enough, shouldn't "need" an instanced or side mode to keep the action going.

Ashes of Creation is in the works and they have several PVP modes planned beyond open world. They are doing a more traditional approach to a MMO. Might be worth a look eventually. They have a full functioning battle royale that they've been using to test systems for the MMO side of things.

Edited by APE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly do not think this idea of queued matches fits well with the overall design Crowfall has. And this is coming from someone who enjoys Conqueror's Blade a LOT, that has been my main game for a couple months now, I think their game design is brilliant.  But the issue is that CF's entire goal is to provoke organic random PVP situations in resource hotspots across the map (POIs, caravans, refineries, etc). The population splitting into queued matches would draw players away from the map. CB has random fights breaking out on the map over resources as well, but that's not the main draw of the game. Maybe queued matches could work if there's ever a downtime between campaigns or something of the sort for people who are not in any CW atm. Maybe even as a function of EKs. 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Battle Royal is a pretty full space full of land mines. 

  • If ACE tries to support it, it could dilute the amount of time they have for the core MMO project. 
  • If ACE does support it, they will be compared to games that are fully dedicated to that model.
  • If ACE does support it, the MMO/Group/Guild centric character classes will be less viable in that sort of model, and could skew the population, OR create a lower number of options.

Now, the above said, a similar MMO style of short term raid, or other type of sub world game that has a bit more group dynamic focused could be interesting. For example a way to do a fast raid to gather starting gear against other players doing the same.  (1 hr CW, with camps, zero imports, unlimited exports (or zero with a "must carry everything out a gate), no re-spawn statues and short entry window.

  But that would a post launch, when they have time to mess with it, sort of thing, and I'm not sure that would be at all better than the current camps provided that ACE uses population metrics to drive people towards them through scarcity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warhammer online had this and it was great. Basically Q-up until you get 5, the other side gets 5 and go. Took 2 min. to get in a battle, so you could be harvesting or farming and a quick break.


Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would queue/play hunger dome non stop out of siege time if it was available.  Think of all the combat data they could record!

but tbh, things seem to be going the opposite way of logic and fun.  They’re too busy thinking up more place holders and needless tedium, and if they get caught up on that I suspect the first thing they’d do is hold a round table on making things more grindy and how they could better ignore broken abilities.

Bad Chaos will continue hiding in safe zones and sneaking around capping while cowardly avoiding fights.  That’s the future of Crowfall.

 

Edited by Ble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ble said:

I would queue/play hunger dome non stop out of siege time if it was available.

Myself, I'd never be in hunger dome, not my playstyle at all. For that matter, if a mosh pit was the 1st thing I saw of Crowfall I would have walked away.

To each their own, but I want open world GvG where winning the fights that matter and avoiding the fights that don't is a shorter road to victory than simply fighting the fights because you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 6:53 AM, Ble said:

Think of all the combat data they could record!

Not like they will fix/balance anything from what they gather :rolleyes:

On 9/4/2019 at 6:53 AM, Ble said:

Bad Chaos will continue hiding in safe zones and sneaking around capping while cowardly avoiding fights.  That’s the future of Crowfall.

MMO's aren't where I go looking for actual competitive gameplay. Cowardliness er 200 IQ Strategy is why we play these right? Not like most guilds take a risk and leave the winning faction to challenge themselves. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotate the pvp stuff in the new Infected to always have a window open. That's Crowfall's casual PvP space. We should put the casual PvP there right? We don't need some que or whatever to provide quick drop-in pvp when we have a map that is now dedicated to casual pvp.


PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 7:10 AM, Numa said:

Sometimes I want an easily accessible and really fun combat experience. But I also like the level up, gather resources, craft gear, build a city, etc...piece of MMO's. It makes me feel like everything is just a bit more meaningful.

I don't like the idea of queued, instanced BGs for Crowfall because I've seen that kill open-world pvp in other MMOs. I do think the Infected world ruleset could be evolved to fit that role in the CF universe with some additional changes. Keep it open-world, and focus the siege play and map design around more fast-paced, short duration, accessible pvp.

Anyone that played DAOC at launch might remember Thidranki zone. It was a persistent zone with a small map, and one center Keep - it was intended to be the tutorial for mid level players on siege mechanics. It was so fun though that many players (including myself) kept a character at that level range just to play it if there was no action in the frontiers. 

 


tiPrpwh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, miraluna said:

I don't like the idea of queued, instanced BGs for Crowfall because I've seen that kill open-world pvp in other MMOs. I do think the Infected world ruleset could be evolved to fit that role in the CF universe with some additional changes. Keep it open-world, and focus the siege play and map design around more fast-paced, short duration, accessible pvp.

Anyone that played DAOC at launch might remember Thidranki zone. It was a persistent zone with a small map, and one center Keep - it was intended to be the tutorial for mid level players on siege mechanics. It was so fun though that many players (including myself) kept a character at that level range just to play it if there was no action in the frontiers. 

DAOC lower level BGs were some great times for me. Leveled up multiple characters to play them. Delete, repeat.

Would like to see GR/Infected or whatever long term to permanent Campaigns offer a similar experience.

I can't think of one MMO that had "good" open-world PVP that suffered due to the addition of instanced PVP. Good as in, frequent, semi balanced fights, some meaning to them, etc. Random ganking isn't what I consider "good" PVP. I'd much prefer options to actually PVP and have fun doing it. If a game's open world suffers but instanced grows, something was wrong with open world system or lack of. Like Crowfall being more of a running simulator then PVP game... Could see an instanced option being more popular and that is a problem with the game's lack of meaningful PVP focus currently.

5 hours ago, McTan said:

The problem with arena PvP is that so many other games do it. If CF wants to grab its niche, it should keep from being a casual-friendly PvP game, in my opinion.

So many other games also do boring mob grinding and eternal stat carrot chasing but ACE seems to have latched on to that pretty well. While I don't want Crowfall becoming THE casual game, it also needs to have a population and I find it hard to believe enough "hardcore" folks will show up. Just too many other games/genres that cater to real competitive play along with other similar niche MMOs coming out in the near future as well. More options can be bad or good depending on the situation. I don't believe Crowfall needs arena PVP, but some form of junk food style availability be it Infected or a stand a lone option might not be the worst idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I never liked CF's way of abandoning the idea of Hunger Dome and already knew the game would get worse if it persisted in the idea of a giant world without enough players to even fill a test zone. In my opinion, it was their biggest mistake. Wanting to create a persistent  world without a large and growing player base is simply suicidal. For me, they would put an immediate PVP  map  with an MM system to stimulate competition and testing, where the character would fight for resources against other players on a giant Deathmatch World and every minute a random area would be consumed by Hunger, gradually reducing the chance of survival as resources would become extinct.

Edited by hamon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a parcel in the world with no B for bank function, old corruption ruleset so anyone not in 5 man group is red, no matter the faction. High rank mats, with a center area of a keep and three forts. 

Any loot on your body ups the value of enemy skulls that you take from enemy players. So bring in loot to constantly up the rewards,  End of your play time, you try and get out with whatever loot and whatever bonus skulls you carry.  Sacrifice the skulls to the different gods for rewards like gear or mats depending on the value of the skulls sacced. 

I dub this area Myrkul's Pit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, APE said:

I can't think of one MMO that had "good" open-world PVP that suffered due to the addition of instanced PVP. Good as in, frequent, semi balanced fights, some meaning to them, etc.

Warhammer Online is the one I was thinking of as an example of this issue. The open world pvp was fun and it had a territory system with capture objectives, but it was way more efficient for XP/char progression to just grind instanced BGs - so that is what players did instead. Ultimately having BGs is not a solution to a poor end-game design in a sandbox style game. It works better in themeparks because it's an additional ride to keep players busy, and it doesn't compete with the main endgame (pve gear progression).


tiPrpwh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, srathor said:

End of your play time, you try and get out with whatever loot and whatever bonus skulls you carry.  Sacrifice the skulls to the different gods for rewards like gear or mats depending on the value of the skulls sacced. 

I think there are fun possibilities like this example the devs could do with the Infected persistent world. Making it focused on more fast-paced, short duration pvp objectives in an open-world setting (as an alternative to the Campaigns). 


tiPrpwh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, miraluna said:

Warhammer Online is the one I was thinking of as an example of this issue. The open world pvp was fun and it had a territory system with capture objectives, but it was way more efficient for XP/char progression to just grind instanced BGs - so that is what players did instead. Ultimately having BGs is not a solution to a poor end-game design in a sandbox style game. It works better in themeparks because it's an additional ride to keep players busy, and it doesn't compete with the main endgame (pve gear progression).

BDO added instanced shadow arena to main game and had to remove it due to competing with gear progression(and cash shop)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, miraluna said:

Warhammer Online is the one I was thinking of as an example of this issue. The open world pvp was fun and it had a territory system with capture objectives, but it was way more efficient for XP/char progression to just grind instanced BGs - so that is what players did instead. Ultimately having BGs is not a solution to a poor end-game design in a sandbox style game. It works better in themeparks because it's an additional ride to keep players busy, and it doesn't compete with the main endgame (pve gear progression).

Ya WAR was sort of in a weird place trying to take the joy of DAoC RVR and mix it with WoW like instanced PVP. Open world still happened but when populations drop, instanced becomes an easier option. If done right, a proper mix of the two could work but WAR had several high end issues unfortunately which saw it come down faster then it should have. Wish some of the more interesting ideas from games like it would find their way into other games. ESO is somewhat similar with the instanced and open world mix.

Could easily see a lot of what was fun in open world WAR become part of Crowfall. Make Campaigns have more active change beyond capture a stronghold, gain points. Locking zones and funneling players made it easy to know where the fight was and what to focus on. Also could see the different instanced rulesets become types of victory conditions or mini games within longer campaigns to get people doing different activities.

With so many other games and great ideas out there, rather sad that Crowfall so far is a watered down version of Shadowbane in several areas. I can see it being hard to think up new ideas, but come on, how hard is it to copy and or improve on what's been before?

Edited by APE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...