Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
m4ma

Solo players?

Hey all!

I've yet to join a guild in Crowfall, but understand that the game is heavily focused on community, and as a result, rewards group play. Does anyone else play solo given the low player population currently? I'm curious as to what a solo player can really accomplish, if anything major at all.

For example, I'm currently attempting to craft an epic human vessel, but need to first craft several counts of ambrosia. To get ambrosia, I believe I need to harvest stone from motherlodes and grind it down. Only.... motherlodes require 2x people to harvest.

Therein lies my problem. Is this game actually playable as a solo individual, and if so, how are people playing it at the highest level?

Cheers!

I'm in a small guild and the others are rarely on, so I play solo a lot. I've crafted and leveled 5 blue vessels, though I have 4 accounts, which helps with being able to train a lot of different crafting professions. If you only have 1 account, then you'll need to engage in the economy more.

You probably don't have the skills/gear to make a high end vessel, so instead of making an epic one, I would recommend you make a rare vessel and save your CE for trading for the stuff you need. You can occasionally find other people willing to help you harvest motherlodes if you have the appropriate tools/training/discs. The quality of the halite and cinnabar doesn't matter when making ambrosia, so you can harvest the lowest rank motherlodes, though of course you'll want higher quality minerals for the philo stone.

You have no choice but to wait on skills, but you can increase your crafting in other ways. Get yourself some necromancy armor and jewelry. If you can't make it, find someone who can. Your best bet is to get all of the resources you need and then find a maxed out crafter who will make what you want. You can also work on getting the goggles, which enables you to include additives when crafting the body parts. You can farm for the additives and/or buy them from other players.

It's totally possible to be a solo player, but at times you'll have to connect with other players who can help you get the things you can't get for yourself.

2 hours ago, m4ma said:

I'm curious as to what a solo player can really accomplish, if anything major at all.

When you say solo, do you mean playing without a guild (entirely possible in the Faction ruleset), or do you mean 100% self sufficient? 100% self-sufficient will be difficult in CF, but if you are willing to at least trade with other players you can get gems and minerals that way. 

tiPrpwh.png

17 hours ago, m4ma said:

Hey all!

I've yet to join a guild in Crowfall, but understand that the game is heavily focused on community, and as a result, rewards group play. Does anyone else play solo given the low player population currently? I'm curious as to what a solo player can really accomplish, if anything major at all.

For example, I'm currently attempting to craft an epic human vessel, but need to first craft several counts of ambrosia. To get ambrosia, I believe I need to harvest stone from motherlodes and grind it down. Only.... motherlodes require 2x people to harvest.

Therein lies my problem. Is this game actually playable as a solo individual, and if so, how are people playing it at the highest level?

Cheers!

You can accomplish a lot of goals solo, but you will never be able to provide crafted equipment for everything you need solo.The training and harvesting systems are deliberately deigned to prevent it.

You're going to need either a guild or strong trading partners just to keep upgrading your equipment, and your access to high end crafting buffs depends on your access to keeps, and it is highly unlikely you're going to attack or defend a keep alone.

That said don't think this means you're stuck if you aren't constantly playing with a group. I've got members of my guild that are almost always playing alone due to time schedule requirements, but they're integrated in to the crafting workflow is such a way that they can get everything they need.

You won't necessarily need boots-on-the-ground allies to have a good time in Crowfall, but you will most certainly need to either, join, recruit, or pay a support system of other players to accomplish whatever your personal goals are.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

4 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

You can accomplish a lot of goals solo, but you will never be able to provide crafted equipment for everything you need solo.The training and harvesting systems are deliberately deigned to prevent it.

I think that will be true initially, but with alt accounts and some time this will change. RNG loot drops from mobs are good enough to bypass some of the crafting loop early game. Didn't Ace just say in the last stream that they have some more stuff in the works for solo and small groups. I imagine that upon release solo play will be hard, but nowhere near as hard as it is currently.

6 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

I think that will be true initially, but with alt accounts and some time this will change. RNG loot drops from mobs are good enough to bypass some of the crafting loop early game. Didn't Ace just say in the last stream that they have some more stuff in the works for solo and small groups. I imagine that upon release solo play will be hard, but nowhere near as hard as it is currently.

Sure but I think there's a difference between "hard" and "necessary" and when I see a question like this I generally assume people are asking about the game in the long rather  than short term.

I can't see a version of crowfall in the long term where you're not gradually pushed to more interdependence (or yeah, waiting years for training or buying a poorly made socksload of alt accounts) to continue to progress that power curve for whatever it is you're trying to do ya know? I can see one where that curve is more gradual though.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Just curious.  I recall from early development that they wanted the gear curve to be flatter than it usually is in games.  In other words, the top line gear will be desirable and provide a definite edge, but not so much that it cannot be overcome by a more skilled opponent (or by being outnumbered).  And a well-coordinated group of ten will still beat a better-geared group of ten.  Is that still the case?

17 hours ago, cemya said:

Just curious.  I recall from early development that they wanted the gear curve to be flatter than it usually is in games.  In other words, the top line gear will be desirable and provide a definite edge, but not so much that it cannot be overcome by a more skilled opponent (or by being outnumbered).  And a well-coordinated group of ten will still beat a better-geared group of ten.  Is that still the case?

Yes. People will constantly complain that it isn't flat ENOUGH but in the current state of the game the dropped gear is VERY competitive. I'd bet on CF's best players in dropped greens against a same sized group of total noobs in specced out purples in a group fight any day of the week.

PopeSigGIF.gif

I'd bet on CF's best players in dropped greens against a same sized group of total noobs in specced out purples in a group fight any day of the week.

It would be fun if someone did a video to test this theory.  You'd just need to get a group of people willing to self-identify as "total n00bs" for your test group.  But it would all be in the service of advancing science and human understanding.

Yes. People will constantly complain that it isn't flat ENOUGH but in the current state of the game the dropped gear is VERY competitive. I'd bet on CF's best players in dropped greens against a same sized group of total noobs in specced out purples in a group fight any day of the week.

If it was just gear, I would be forced to agree as things are currently, but once you add in vessels and account skills that changes the equation. RNG dropped gear that invalidates much of early/mid game crafting loop was a horrible solution. ACe did shallow out the gear curve, but it still needs more work. What they also did was gate class combat skills behind leveling, that counteracted some of the effects of them shallowing the gear curve. So many systems and design goals have radically changed that now nothing is working properly.  

13 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

Curious if anyone has done a recent stat comparisons between a free vessel + dropped gear vs a high quality vessel and gear as this is a more likely situation.

"Best" players will always have the knowledge skill advantage and likely always have the better gear where newer or less good players are always fighting uphill. Compared to other genres where there is no stat difference and it is just skill. You are either good or not, not extra benefits magically making someone seem better then they are.

7 hours ago, APE said:

Curious if anyone has done a recent stat comparisons between a free vessel + dropped gear vs a high quality vessel and gear as this is a more likely situation.

Just made my friend a rare vessel, as they are easier to equip disciplines to, last night.  At level 1 the rare had 188 more raw stats than the common he had at lvl 30.  I'm not fully optimized as a necromancer, but you can kind of extrapolate that a legendary vessel gets 150 choice stats from it's leveling and let's be incredibly over cautious and say it got another 12 base when crafted.  That's a base +350 raw stats over a common vessel.   Then you put additives in or a philo stone which I did not.   The Vessel curve didn't appear to be very flat to me, that's why I switched to necromancy.  

I remember Blair saying they were approximately aiming for roughly a 25% power level difference between a common and legendary.  I know that raw stats aren't as good as say the anti crit you put on gear, and you might have 70 more spirit in a vessel that you will never use so it's not just raw output.  Plus no green vessels drop so it's from starter to crafted that adds some of the distance it feels is being covered.

I'd love to hear from a veteran player on their feelings of the vessel disparity. 

-The Legion shall forever be reborn

qliewl5.png