Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Belantis

Battlefield tactics when outnumbered

Battlefield tactics

Having participated in a number of big fights I thought about writing down some observations on battlefield tactics that might be useful for everybody to analyse and think about when fighting. This constitutes by no means an exhaustive analysis, it’s just some pointers to help people and give them insights.

When your force is outnumbered in a big fight employ cleaver tactics to alleviate this imbalance and turn the tables in your favour:

1- The salami tactic

This is the underlaying tactic when facing superior forces: pick off the weakest targets one by one to weaken the opponent. No frontal assaults just one slice of salami at a time, Take all the time you needs to achieve this.

2- Choke points

During sieges use the breach in the walls to stop an enemy attacking force or to fight defenders. This choke point will allow you to alleviate the opponents superior forces and to pick off the weakest targets by chain pulling them or simply dps-ing those own. Also use the cc and dps abilities of confessors in these situations. The goal is to kill the enemy force one by one.

3- The roundabout

When outnumbered you can in some situations use the terrain features to kite larger groups of enemies around a big rock or a friendly bane tree (in case of a bane tree this will increase the damage done to and slow his enemy). This will again allow you to weaken and pick off one target at a time and kill it.

4- Feint retreat

Try to keep the initiative by superior movement speed To reshuffle the cards in your favour during a fight you can sometimes feint a retreat to look for a choke point or a roundabout or just to escape a stalemate.

5- Maneuverability

Try to retain superior movement speed and flexibility compared to your enemies.

This will grants you the initiative. For example learn to fight on the move.

Conclusion – Train, train and train again

Please share your thoughts on this!

The most important thing is composition, having the right classes is paramount. The more disciplined your group and the more coordinated and communicated your allies, the better you’ll do.  Add on top of that better gear and vessels, per capita, and overcoming numbers starts to happen.

Then, after the above foundation is achieved, maneuvers like you described will become effective.

Mostly I see that if my opponent doesn’t have sheer numbers advantage, in an open field fight, they cave to no foundational discipline.

2 hours ago, Ble said:

The most important thing is composition, having the right classes is paramount. The more disciplined your group and the more coordinated and communicated your allies, the better you’ll do.  Add on top of that better gear and vessels, per capita, and overcoming numbers starts to happen.

Then, after the above foundation is achieved, maneuvers like you described will become effective.

Mostly I see that if my opponent doesn’t have sheer numbers advantage, in an open field fight, they cave to no foundational discipline.

Thanks for your input ! Of course group composition and other prerequisiteslike good communication  are fundamental for a succesful outcome. But so are many more things. I'm talking about military tactics specifically. Two different things.

Some good points, but many of these are negated by the 90s respawn mechanic.  

Death for a defender in a siege is pretty meaningless, unless there are sudden mass casualties (bombs, Ballistas).  

Trickle casualties just get negated by the extemely fast respawn.

On 9/10/2019 at 7:10 PM, Angelmar said:

Death for a defender in a siege is pretty meaningless, unless there are sudden mass casualties (bombs, Ballistas).  

I agree that the 90s respawn mechanic is extremely fast for the defenders in a siege and should be looked at by the devs. There are ways to circumvent this, like you said bombs and ballistas are one. Another way is to breach a wall near the respawn statue and have one or two assassins or whatever kill the respawning defenders. I've seen it happen, it's extremely efficient. Problem solved 😄

On 9/10/2019 at 10:10 AM, Angelmar said:

Perhaps adding more range to ressurect spells and increasing the respawn timer would be a better solution, so that strong defence involves a more proactive risk/reward structure.

16 hours ago, Dern said:

Perhaps adding more range to ressurect spells and increasing the respawn timer would be a better solution, so that strong defence involves a more proactive risk/reward structure.

Personally I would prefer it if a res statue was unusable while a poi is in its siege window. From a lore perspective, say the presence of a Bane Tree is suppressing the statue.

Not only would that allow the attacker to wear down the defender's forces through attrition, but it would add value to controlling other points on the map, and the time slots when those locations are vunerable.

Regarding the OP, I would add the fighting withdrawal. Less than a retreat, the goal is to prevent the larger force force from flanking or enveloping your forces, while forcing them to maintain their grouping relative to your force. Against a less skilled enemy force, you may find opportunities where a melee player over extends (especially if they think you are in retreat) or a key healer or ranged DPS drops back.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:08 AM, Ble said:

^ pretty much this IMO.

Have you guys spent a good deal of time playing on the NA servers? I know W used to make smaller forays into EU sometimes. But as someone who's played both servers, EU and NA, during 5.8,there's just such a huge difference in how the meta is played (or not) between them. 

But hey, maybe this new 5.100 or w/e patch is different and now tactics trumple composition and build.. although I somehow doubt that.