Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fahennel

Smaller maps for campaigns

I guess it has already been said before but I feel like we are many who think the maps are too big, the zones too numerous at this stage of testing. The population is too low for maps this large and running through empy zones is fun to nobody. I wish there was less running and more encounters.

More than a year ago we had a map occasionally called "Abattoir" which was essentially a one zone map with tons of resources everywhere. It was kind of fun because it was mostly a large arena and people did lots of dueling and stuff.

The current population could probably do decently in the main campaign right now, but seems like at least half the people just stay in the Gods Reach and Infected maps.

The main problem as I see it is ACE has fundamentally failed to attract enough of the *kinds of players* it needs for this game to be vibrant at this stage. I suspect they are not concerned with that as they are trying to grind out to the next phase of Alpha and soft launch.

Shrinking the map will just decrease the number of people playing the campaigns. Force projection is real. I still think they should go back to six keeps to make things interesting.

lPoLZtm.png

On 9/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, Duffy said:

Shrinking the map will just decrease the number of people playing the campaigns. Force projection is real. I still think they should go back to six keeps to make things interesting.

Why would more pvp decrease the number?

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

19 minutes ago, PaleOne said:

Why would more pvp decrease the number?

I think Duffy is referring to the ability of groups to rapidly redeploy forces across the map in response to enemy actions.

Larger maps force guilds to commit their forces to a single action with little opportunity for reinforcement, while smaller maps mean that more agile teams can redeploy forces in response to enemy actions on the other side of the campaign world.

Edit: trying to keep this politicaly neutral.

Edited by VaMei

What VaMei said. The smaller the map the easier it is to use a numbers advantage if you have it. Focusing all the activity into a smaller area increases the likelihood of whoever has the numbers just dominating. Since it’s boring and unproductive getting beat often and in a small limited area that can be easily traversed there’s unlikely to be any sort of strategic variety to make things interesting, people will either stop playing the capture game or find away to entirely avoid the conflict that’s disrupting their gathering/leveling. Which then starves the side with the advantage of content too.

The game and interactions between players and their motivations are more complex than an infinite Battlfield style setup. You want things to get interesting and fun you need enough locations and distance to make committing and maneuvering an interesting decision. Right now the world is just a tad too small for our numbers when things get revved up, and it looks like folks are building activity back up so it’s likely to start feeling a little claustrophobic strategically again.

Edited by Duffy

lPoLZtm.png

We had Maps where we had much more Worlds, that was to big. Right now i think the Maps has a really good size. 

One the most important Points is how fast can you be at a specific Point. In sieges this is so important for bigger guilds, so Need to decide where they use witch force. when you have smaller Maps, the biggest/strongest Guild will just everytime overrun you and you have no Chance. Right now you have the Chance to outmanuver them or just try to be faster at some Points. the size is Pretty on Point Right now

Edited by Zirone
missspelled