Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ahurazor

Crafting help required

Hi guys, my partner and I have just purchased crowfall,it is downloading as I type this, I was hoping to get some tips. I have been reading through the forum and just want to double check a few things in case i am misunderstanding some of the posts I have read.

1. firstly we are interested in gathering and crafting and as far as I can tell it’s best to have a fighter character that gathers, is that correct? Is gathering in this game designed where anyone can do it and building a fighting character does not mean I’m sacrificing how good a gatherer I can be? 

2.  Also it looks like having a gatherer/crafter on the one character is not the best way to go? I’m assuming u need to be a fighter when gathering to defend yourself or deter attackers. Ideal setup for us being players who are not all that interested in pvp other than self defence would still be one character with fighting and gathering capabilities and another that is just a crafter who sits in the city and receives our materials to craft with?

3. I saw someone mention you can only level one profession at a time account wide? Is gathering considered a profession? Or only crafting options considered professions? I’m hoping we can gather on one character and still level the crafter when we send stuff over.

4. Group gathering, as a duo can we gather everything in that game? Although we might lo9 to join a guild is it possible to do it together by ourselves if we want to, and I mean like higher end stuff not early game play.

5. Do you factor good anti ganker characters into your gathering character selection when creating? Or do you purely go for stats. I assume at the end of the day if u want to be the best u can be then u go str/int/dex or whatever is best for u over a character that might be better at fleeing? But I still assume some characters might naturally have best of both worlds? Perhaps a run down if not too much hassle of good race/class combos for gathering would be appreciated and maybe why certain classes or races might fit well survivability wise. Apologies for that long winded poorly constructed question.

6. I see vessel being thrown around a lot, am I to understand u start as a blank slate character u pick a race but not a class, then u eventually pick a class which is your “vessel”? This is confusing to me, if someone could explain that to me like I’m a 3 year old, I would really appreciate it.

7. When you setup a store in the city, is this something where your character goes AFK and sells or a npc that does it for you and you just top it up with goods?

8. If there are any mature aged guilds recruiting we are a 31,36 year old couple who will likely be looking for a guild in the near future.

9. I think that covers it, I’ll add more if I think of anything, any handy additional tips you might have would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1. You can harvest very well with a full combat character, depending on training and gear. Skill training is account based, so all of your characters will benefit from it, and you can train in both combat and harvesting. Disciplines are divided into majors (combat and crafting), exploration (harvesting) and minors (combat and crafting). There's 1 harvesting minor, but you don't need it depending on the exploration discs you have. Harvesting is also affected by the seasons. In spring and summer, players get a buff that helps to get more/better resources. In fall and winter, it's a debuff, so without some combination of skills, disciplines, potions and food buffs, you will have a hard time. The God's Reach worlds are eternal spring, so you get the max buff in those worlds all the time. The campaign worlds are currently in summer and have about 10 days left.

You can also improve your harvesting via armor and jewelry. Harvesting stats can be added to combat stats on armor, so you don't lose any combat effectiveness there. With jewelry, you have to choose between combat and harvesting (and crafting) stats, but that's something you can swap as needed.

2. You can go that way. It's up to you. All characters have the base combat ability for their class. It mostly comes down to your discipline and gear choices. I run around solo all the time on characters that have little to no combat training and I do okay. Often avoiding a fight is just a matter of playing a stealth class and keeping your eyes open. Again, it's important to remember that skill training is account wide, so if you want to do crafting, harvesting and combat all on the same account, you won't be able to train them all at the same time. You can do them all, but you won't have the training to make you better at all of them. You also can't double up on your training. By that I mean, you can't train both blacksmithing and leatherworking at the same time, for example. You have to choose 2 out of combat, crafting and exploration. Many people play multiple accounts and have one for combat/harvesting and others for crafting/harvesting.

3. As I said, you have to choose 2 of combat, crafting and exploration. You can only train one harvesting tree at a time, but there is some overlap in the earlier trees. For example, if you train the first skill in the Excavation tree, it increases your stats in mining, quarrying and gravedigging. As you get further into the skill trees, they get more specialized. The Ore Specialization tree, for example, only improves your mining.

4. Most stuff in the game can be harvested solo. The only harvested items that require more than 1 person are minerals and gems, which come from stone and ore motherlodes, respectively. They require at least 2 people to harvest. There are other things you will want/need that are drops rather than harvested, but you can usually find someone selling them, or you can kill mobs to try to get them yourself. The tougher mobs have a higher chance of dropping good stuff, as you would expect.

5. Anything with stealth is generally good if you are harvesting alone. You won't escape all the time, but against a single ganker, you'll have success if you are smart about it.

6. You (your account) is an immortal crow. You inhabit bodies (vessels) and play as them. When you create a character, you are given a common quality vessel of whichever race you choose, and you select which class you want to play. Better vessels can be crafted by necromancers. When you get/craft a vessel, you use it to create a new, better character. 

7. It's an npc. You have to give them gold to keep them running, but they stay up as long as the server is up. Finding open spots to place a vendor can sometimes be a challenge, though. The best spots tend to get filled quickly.

8. Check out the guild recruiting forums.

9. The game has a pretty steep learning curve, and the new player experience still needs some work. Feel free to ask questions in General chat. General is all servers and factions. Faction is only the people in your faction, on the specific server you are currently on. Zone chat is just the specific zone you are in. 

Open your character sheet (press I) and click on the details button. Familiarize yourself with the various stats used for combat, crafting and harvesting. Understanding how the stats work and how you can raise them will go a long way toward understanding the game.

Just a note - when you start your characters in God's Reach, it's a new player world without PvP.  That gives you a chance to try out some different race/class combos (leveling a basic vessel is fast in CF) and learn about how the harvesting, crafting, and combat systems work in the game without any PvP pressure.  Guinecean race might be a fun choice because of their native burrow stealth, and you can add some escape/defense type discs. 

If you and your partner know you don't want to focus on pvp, I think you would be fine using each of your 2 passive skill trains on exploration + crafting. You can each start with basics, then branch into complementary specializations (e.g. one trains ore and one trains stone) farther into the trees.

tiPrpwh.png

Thank you Arkade for the very detailed response, it has helped a lot. Miraluna thanks that also cleared some stuff for us, we might try a run without combat and go exploration/crafting. I guess now while in early access it’s the time to try these things and figure what we will do by launch.

Just a couple more things,

1.How do i improve my crafting/gathering ability outside of stacking say dexterity/int/strength.

2.is it true also my skills improve over time?? how does that work?

3. How do i learn to craft better items? is there patterns i can find or purchase? or is it skill based, as i improve skill i can just make them?

4. I am still in there pve zone, when i go to campaign mode are the resources more rare in comparison to the starting area?

11 minutes ago, Ahurazor said:

Just a couple more things,

1.How do i improve my crafting/gathering ability outside of stacking say dexterity/int/strength.

2.is it true also my skills improve over time?? how does that work?

3. How do i learn to craft better items? is there patterns i can find or purchase? or is it skill based, as i improve skill i can just make them?

4. I am still in there pve zone, when i go to campaign mode are the resources more rare in comparison to the starting area?

1. Besides passive training, acquiring better items is the best way to increase your crafting and harvesting ability.  Armor can provided harvesting and crafting stats if a Specialty Seal (from Runemaking) is applied to them.  Jewelry can also provide harvesting and crafting stats if you use the right materials.  There are also several cooking recipes that grant temporary buffs to harvesting and crafting.

2.  Your passive skill tree generates 3 points every 10 seconds to whichever tree you are currently training, even when you are offline.  You spend these points on two tracks at a time (Combat, Crafting, Exploration -- which is a fun word for Harvesting right now) but the caveat is you cannot train the same major track twice at the same time (so you can train Blacksmithing and Mining but not Mining and Logging).

3.  For the most part all recipes are unlocked for you, but you will have to be at a specific crafting bench in order to see those recipes.  For example, you cannot create plate armor without being at a Blacksmith bench.  The quality of materials you put into the recipe determines its power, so the recipe you use to make the best plate in the game is the same as the recipe you use to make a newbie set of plate.  There are a few items in the game you can find that open up new recipes (I hear Runic weapons are pretty cool) but I will leave those to you to discover how to reveal.

4.  When you go to the campaign the concentration of high ranking resources is significantly increased.  Most of the nodes in the campaign world are currently Rank 8 to Rank 10.  Note that higher ranking nodes don't give you more materials, but rather their drop tables are more concentrated on higher quality items.  A Rank 10 Common iron and a Rank 1 Common iron are the same, but the Rank 10 is more likely to drop Rare, Epic, and Legendary iron.

11 minutes ago, Hungry said:

1. Besides passive training, acquiring better items is the best way to increase your crafting and harvesting ability.  Armor can provided harvesting and crafting stats if a Specialty Seal (from Runemaking) is applied to them.  Jewelry can also provide harvesting and crafting stats if you use the right materials.  There are also several cooking recipes that grant temporary buffs to harvesting and crafting.

2.  Your passive skill tree generates 3 points every 10 seconds to whichever tree you are currently training, even when you are offline.  You spend these points on two tracks at a time (Combat, Crafting, Exploration -- which is a fun word for Harvesting right now) but the caveat is you cannot train the same major track twice at the same time (so you can train Blacksmithing and Mining but not Mining and Logging).

3.  For the most part all recipes are unlocked for you, but you will have to be at a specific crafting bench in order to see those recipes.  For example, you cannot create plate armor without being at a Blacksmith bench.  The quality of materials you put into the recipe determines its power, so the recipe you use to make the best plate in the game is the same as the recipe you use to make a newbie set of plate.  There are a few items in the game you can find that open up new recipes (I hear Runic weapons are pretty cool) but I will leave those to you to discover how to reveal.

4.  When you go to the campaign the concentration of high ranking resources is significantly increased.  Most of the nodes in the campaign world are currently Rank 8 to Rank 10.  Note that higher ranking nodes don't give you more materials, but rather their drop tables are more concentrated on higher quality items.  A Rank 10 Common iron and a Rank 1 Common iron are the same, but the Rank 10 is more likely to drop Rare, Epic, and Legendary iron.

Thanks so much for this, just to go a little further, im trying to train leatherworking and skinning i have leatherworker as my major discipline and am yet to have a 2nd. how does the game dictate what skills will passively train up, it is what major disciplines i have set? as my skinning does not seem to improve outside me using dex, and im unsure if my leatherworking is infact increasing passively either.

16 minutes ago, Ahurazor said:

Thanks so much for this, just to go a little further, im trying to train leatherworking and skinning i have leatherworker as my major discipline and am yet to have a 2nd. how does the game dictate what skills will passively train up, it is what major disciplines i have set? as my skinning does not seem to improve outside me using dex, and im unsure if my leatherworking is infact increasing passively either.

At the top of the lobby screen (when you see all your characters on the left-hand side) you will see at the top is "SKILLS".  Click this button.  You will see there is a Primary Track and a Secondary Track.  Pick one of the three major tracks (Combat, Crafting, Harvesting) then select TRAIN on one of the minor trees (Combat Basics, Exploration Basics, Crafting Basics) to begin acquiring skill points in that tree.  The passive tree is account-wide, so it affects all of your characters regardless of what you have done to them.

17 minutes ago, Hungry said:

At the top of the lobby screen (when you see all your characters on the left-hand side) you will see at the top is "SKILLS".  Click this button.  You will see there is a Primary Track and a Secondary Track.  Pick one of the three major tracks (Combat, Crafting, Harvesting) then select TRAIN on one of the minor trees (Combat Basics, Exploration Basics, Crafting Basics) to begin acquiring skill points in that tree.  The passive tree is account-wide, so it affects all of your characters regardless of what you have done to them.

Just quickly, in game where you use talent points for fighting, u have the major discipline section but it doesnt have a skill tree, is that just something in future that will display in game from where i just did what u told me in lobby? like is there any reason for me to save my talent points in game for crafting, or just spend it on fighting?

54 minutes ago, Ahurazor said:

Just quickly, in game where you use talent points for fighting, u have the major discipline section but it doesnt have a skill tree, is that just something in future that will display in game from where i just did what u told me in lobby? like is there any reason for me to save my talent points in game for crafting, or just spend it on fighting?

Discipline talent trees are not yet implemented.  Currently you are granted all of the stats and powers of disciplines you equip.  Besides discipline slots, there are no talents from any class that buff crafting or harvesting.