Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tinnis

ACE's August QA communication failure

16 hours ago, Arkade said:

I would imagine there will be a lot of marketing stuff associated with 5.110. Unfortunately, for marketing purposes, the information comes out at the same time as the update, while we are all sitting here jonesing for any tidbit about what's coming. I miss stuff like patch notes from the future. Big picture, we know what's next, but a couple details would be appreciated. The Dregs is the big thing, but there will be plenty of small things too, I'm sure, that they can give us to nibble on while we wait.

I can't imagine what sort of "lot of marketing" they will do. They would still be promoting a pre-alpha (maybe alpha) with unknown development still to come and many issues that will keep players away just as they are now. 

Maybe it was you but I read someone else mention that ACE is saving up for the next update. I don't get who they are saving it up for? The people that care are asking for them to communicate and those checking in once a while and maybe not ignoring email updates aren't likely to care if it is a big update or not.

13 hours ago, Arkade said:

I wouldn't say it failed. Low population with no real incentive to win is why it hasn't worked. Faction-based PvP has worked to varying degrees in other games. I'm sure it will work in CF once they add campaign rewards and we have a higher population.

Faction based PVP or any feature working in another game has no value here. DAoC faction play which basically started RvR doesn't work the same for example. I can't foresee any reward making the current experience worth it for me (ignoring future development). To get a higher population the experience needs to be something that more people want. Even within this small community I see many say they are waiting for the Dregs to even log in. ACE's version of faction gameplay is a watered down version of Shadowbane with neither bringing anything new/better that others haven't already done and likely more successfully.

12 hours ago, Zatch said:

Patch 5.10 is not intended to have a large population or be the final iteration of the game.  It's an incremental push towards the final game finished game.

Not sure I've ever been part of an EA/Alpha/Beta or launched product that suffered from too large a community.

Hell I can't even think of a snide remark. 

No wait I got a couple. but damn took me much longer than normal. 

I am more excited to hear about and pay and play a release of a 15 year old rehash than Crowfall. 
I am even more excited to pay and play a rehash of a 5 year old game as well, that I had to quit originally because it turned into a pay to win nightmare, than to listen to more crickets about Crowfall. 

They are not dropping the ball, the ball got dropped about 21ish months ago. They dribbled it a bit, and now it sits in a forgotten corner, as they try and think up something to explain why they have turned into just another Meh MMO company. 

They have burned through any hope, hype, or faith I had, and I was a skeptical/grumpy bastard from the beginning. 

Now I am just waiting for the bad news, and the rest of the disappointment to come home to roost, so to speak, in the crows nest. 

16 hours ago, srathor said:

They are not dropping the ball, the ball got dropped about 21ish months ago. They dribbled it a bit, and now it sits in a forgotten corner, as they try and think up something to explain why they have turned into just another Meh MMO company. 

Round about the time they spun off a new division to develop and market their engine to competitors. Sure seems they are now just adding half finished systems willy nilly and don't care much whats broken or meshes with existing, just as long as they can have more systems to promote their artisan engine. Kinda depressing thinking money given to develop crowfall actually being used to fund other projects. 

Edited by mystafyi

55 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Round about the time they spun off a new division to develop and market their engine to competitors. Sure seems they are now just adding half finished systems willy nilly and don't care much whats broken or meshes with existing, just as long as they can have more systems to promote their artisan engine. Kinda depressing thinking money given to develop crowfall actually being used to fund other projects. 

All work on the artisan engine is on hold until CF launches.

Ordinarily, when I see a thread that has a title and first post this one does, I won't dignify the nastiness with a response. Being rude and accusatory simply isn't polite and doesn't inspire me to engage; however, since it has been some time since I posted, I'll overlook that silliness and reply. 

ACE Q&A live streams and video: We have been looking for a new video producer/media content creator since the last one departed a couple of months ago. Susi, one of our software engineers, has experience doing occasional Twitch streams on her own channel (https://www.twitch.tv/susifaye), so she was kind enough to help with the last stream. Emely, our social media manager, has been doing video capture sessions for us, and also helps with live streams. DebySue (aka "CC", VP of Marketing) wants to wait until the new media content creator is on board so that the video of the August live stream will be top-notch. (We have the file saved, just waiting for that perfect someone to join the team.) 

We have a tentative date penciled in for the next live stream and will announce when we can fully commit to the date and time. 

War Stories: These are on hold while the War Stories page redesign is underway. I'm hoping that will be completed in a few weeks. 

News: When we have had something newsworthy, it's shared with a media outlet in order to raise awareness about the game. The team is cranking out design documents that are undergoing internal review and the roadmap is getting tightened up; neither of these are in a place where we are ready to share them publicly. All of that said, we are finalizing a schedule for news articles and blogs that you'll begin seeing soon. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

53 minutes ago, Pann said:

Ordinarily, when I see a thread that has a title and first post this one does, I won't dignify the nastiness with a response. Being rude and accusatory simply isn't polite and doesn't inspire me to engage; however, since it has been some time since I posted, I'll overlook that silliness and reply.

what is factually incorrect or mistoned about the title or the opening post? the lack of an upload or literally no communication on the matter for such a time is professionally poor in my view and frankly inexcusable for such a basic task.

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

@Pann

the reason you are seeing more and more desperate posts from some of Crowfall’s Biggest Supporters is when you don’t respond- Our minds begin to wonder if there is a future at all for the game.

I could care less about videos and news with high production values — just forum posts about the state of the game are enough to help us keep the faith.

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

23 hours ago, Arkade said:

All work on the artisan engine is on hold until CF launches.

I am afraid that is not believable. I mean seriously, as far as I know you don't work for ACE and could very well be incorrect. Perhaps if there was major progress on the game... but they pretty much put everything on hold recently, even web based activities are being neglected now.  Well not all.... they are working on silencing negative comments.

2 hours ago, Pann said:

Based on some recent player feedback, Gordon, Jack and I sat down and reviewed our warnings/suspension process for infractions of the in-game rules. Since we three are the ones who handle disciplinary actions, we wanted to be sure that we were totally aligned in order to deliver fair and consistent punishment.

@Tinnis giving constructive criticism that most of the community agrees with shouldn’t be viewed as silly or nasty.  I don’t know how he could have said that in a more professional manner and still managed to capture the passion and outrage that most of the community feels.  

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Additionally, I don't think any of the information provided has been conveyed other than this post.

ACE seems to be encouraging community DISengagement.

No testers and no posts means no problems, right?

I haven't been around testing much since about March simply because it seems like it is in the middle of a development grind where there is little to show month to month. I know some stuff is progressing, but I'll check back when there is something more substantial. I know we all hope that the game lives up to the expectations.

I wish you all the best in your efforts but concerns others expressed about communication and lack of substantial updates are an issue. It seems this happens every summer when people are out on vacation or taking advantage of the good weather.

15 hours ago, Pann said:

since it has been some time since I posted

38 days since we had last heard anything (with no details) about this from ACE on this matter via the official site.

Being radio silent simply isn't polite and doesn't inspire the community to engage.

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

20 hours ago, Pann said:

Actually confused by this. 

ACE Q&A live streams and video: We have been looking for a new video producer/media content creator since the last one departed a couple of months ago. Susi, one of our software engineers, has experience doing occasional Twitch streams on her own channel (https://www.twitch.tv/susifaye), so she was kind enough to help with the last stream. Emely, our social media manager, has been doing video capture sessions for us, and also helps with live streams. DebySue (aka "CC", VP of Marketing) wants to wait until the new media content creator is on board so that the video of the August live stream will be top-notch. (We have the file saved, just waiting for that perfect someone to join the team.) 

We have a tentative date penciled in for the next live stream and will announce when we can fully commit to the date and time.

Same as above. You shouldn't need a bells and whistles to get these done.

Between live streaming on Twitch or recording and uploading to Youtube, this has become literal child's play today.

Adding in flashy text, green screens, and whatever else is not necessary.

CSE videos/streams are very low budget and get the job done. https://www.youtube.com/user/CityStateGames/videos

War Stories: These are on hold while the War Stories page redesign is underway. I'm hoping that will be completed in a few weeks. 

Spend resources elsewhere. Look at the number of views/comments on those. Doesn't seem to be worth the cost currently if folks working on these could be doing something else.

News: When we have had something newsworthy, it's shared with a media outlet in order to raise awareness about the game. The team is cranking out design documents that are undergoing internal review and the roadmap is getting tightened up; neither of these are in a place where we are ready to share them publicly. All of that said, we are finalizing a schedule for news articles and blogs that you'll begin seeing soon. 

At this point pretty much anything would be "newsworthy." I don't understand the internal view that we the community that is active or the greater gamer community that may or may not care needs everything wrapped up with a bow.

The communities of the two media outlets you use are not fans going by the almost not existent comments and those that do are generally much more "nasty" then we ever have been.

Once upon a time it was said that marketing would be a thing for post-soft launch or at least when this was more of a game and not pre-alpha.

Looking at the community dwindling, I don't believe you are hyping up or growing things with the current marketing. Attempting to go after new or absent fans while basically ignoring those still around doesn't seem productive. Hopefully the marketing strategy isn't to follow SOE/EA/Bioware in leaving fans with a nasty view of the company, products, and decisions.

Edited by APE

23 hours ago, APE said:

Looking at the community dwindling, I don't believe you are hyping up or growing things with the current marketing. Attempting to go after new or absent fans while basically ignoring those still around doesn't seem productive. Hopefully the marketing strategy isn't to follow SOE/EA/Bioware in leaving fans with a nasty view of the company, products, and decisions.

The Cf community is so disenfranchised with the game right now it will be a hard sell to get enough people to come back for any real content. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png