Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ConstantineX

Great cosmetic way to monetize?

Was having an in guild discussion about the future of the game in it's pay structure and concerns that it might be "pay to win".  In explaining the VIP to a new player he was utterly convinced that the extra passive training slot was an in game advantage that constituted pay to win.  Not saying this sentiment reflects my beliefs just thought it useful to share what fresh eyes thought of the idea incoming to the game.  We then talked about other ways to monetize the game as everyone agrees that the devs deserve to get paid for their work and we want more content and speedy servers and those things cost money.  I think the model that everyone unanimously loves is cosmetics.  I heard mention of other games where the "VIP" or battle pass offered lootbox cosmetics.  I can think of a 1000 ways you can offer lootbox cosmetic upgrades for equipment, armor, etc.  I thought adding character customization behind a pay wall would be nifty as well.  Maybe just recolors even, I think a lot of gain can be found in offering recolors as they are simple to produce and effective.  Maybe VIP could include an expanded color selection for your character.  Another Idea I thought was brilliant for something to sell in the in the store would be reskins or paints for your EK buildings.  I cannot be sure what it is I'm suggesting in the development side of things.  I do believe that the players who want to invest in their EK buildings would be the same players who would be likely to ante up for cosmetic overhauls of their structures.  

Any thoughts on this form of monetization?

-The Legion shall forever be reborn

qliewl5.png

Not that I think the VIP model was ever Pay to Win, but if it was P2W at all it was only P2W sooner.

In any case, Ace dropped the second training track from VIP back in Nov of 18. 

Edited by VaMei

11 hours ago, VaMei said:

In any case, Ace dropped the second training track from VIP back in Nov of 18

Thank you for information!!  Any idea what the planned implementation of VIP is at this time?

qliewl5.png

2 minutes ago, ConstantineX said:

Thank you for information!!  Any idea what the planned implementation of VIP is at this time?

For now, we have no idea what benefits VIP will offer, or how Ace will monetize the game beyond the one-time purchase of the game and the items currently for sale in the store.

@Pann

Nearly 10 months ago Ace broke the connection between VIP & the second training track, but that news has obviously not outpaced the P2W stigma, even among old crows like ConstantineX.

Marketing has its work cut out for them.

1 hour ago, VaMei said:

@Pann

Nearly 10 months ago Ace broke the connection between VIP & the second training track, but that news has obviously not outpaced the P2W stigma, even among old crows like ConstantineX.

Not to mention people still have no idea what eks do. P2P trading hasnt been addressed yet either. I find it more p2w if i can just paypal someone 200$ for a full reroll yellow vessel and gear. 

We get questions now and then about this stuff. As far as VIP goes, what all it will entail is still being discussed internally. Obviously, that's something that will have to be lined out carefully so that it gives real value to those who have it, but doesn't go against our pledge to avoid P2W conditions. We are still committed to only offering cosmetic and service-related items in the Crowfall Store. 

Adding additional items to the store will require work from all the teams (Art, Design, Engineering and Marketing). For now, we are squarely focused on developing the game itself. There will be time to increase the store inventory in the future once the game is in alpha/beta. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

6 hours ago, VaMei said:

@Pann

I have to own my own failures here.  When I opened the video you linked I realized I had at some point when binge watching dev Q&A's had watched that very video.  I am at least now slightly less ignorant and will do my best to not spread more misinformation.  

I understand why implementation of the pay structure is not of high importance to the development team at this time. I have to say that speaks alot to the teams motivations in my eyes in a positive fashion.  I do however see some extreme utility in the marketing side of having a "cemented" pay structure. With MMO players today that is one of their foremost concerns.  People have been disenchanted in the past, falling in love with a game in it's development cycle to later detest the way it funds itself.     

I think I can concretely take away that the team looks at the pay to win model in a non pragmatic or even detestable light. That may be concrete enough if players like me can avoid sabotaging the game with misinformation.😂

qliewl5.png