Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hitsaus

Geography and history

Recommended Posts

I have some questions, it would be cool if someone from the staff could answer as well. Unfortunately the only StaffMember I know the name of is @Pann, may the Gods watch over her.

We currently have a few hints from the lore on what is the name people use to refer to the world, you see: In The Elder Scrolls the Mortal Plane is called Mundus, the planet is called Nirn, The Planets surrounding Nirn also have names, Nirn has continents, provinces, cities, regions, history. In Crowfall all I saw was that the serpents are now the moon and sun with their respective names and that the ´´Islands`` of land sometimes will have names as well, but the whole world is broken into pieces? Could someone clarify that please?

What is the world's name? Do different races call them by different names, as Sons of Arkon call Stoneborn ´´Dwarves`` and elder races call them ´´Stoneborn``, that also goes to countries, regions, languages... what is the name of the common language? That concept will appear someday in the lore? How is the current status of the old countries before the hunger took over?

 

Any information is welcome, even if it is ´´We have no idea what we will do about this right now``.

 

The Lore Dwarf is waiting:

 

1096452e6fdd5b04d61e6e21ecaac320.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The regional bands have names, but each campaign takes place on one of the dying worlds within that realm.

While each campaign world does have a name, there is no real backstory to any of them; there's nothing remarkable about any of them until the Hunger takes root. When the world dies (ending the campaign) the only history it will have is what we did there.

The regions are Eternal Kingdoms, God's Reach, The Infected, The Shadow, & Dregs. Dregs is nearest to the Hunger, while God's Reach and the Eternal Kingdoms are beyond the reach of the Hunger's influence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VaMei has the right of it: within the world bands there are an unlimited number of planets. These worlds are broken into islands that can be traveled between via Runegates. The individual worlds are where you'll play Campaigns, set up Eternal Kingdoms, etc. They have as much backstory as we can implant via environmental storytelling and the like, and there are some worlds that have been named in the lore (like the Centaur home world: Pelion).

As to countries, cultures, languages, etc: being that there are a plethora of different worlds inhabited by a number Races that have variations in their own cultures, I'm sure these are as diverse as you can imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the answers @ACE_JackalBark and @VaMei.

2 hours ago, VaMei said:

The regional bands have names, but each campaign takes place on one of the dying worlds within that realm.

While each campaign world does have a name, there is no real backstory to any of them; there's nothing remarkable about any of them until the Hunger takes root. When the world dies (ending the campaign) the only history it will have is what we did there.

54 minutes ago, ACE_JackalBark said:

VaMei has the right of it: within the world bands there are an unlimited number of planets. These worlds are broken into islands that can be traveled between via Runegates. The individual worlds are where you'll play Campaigns, set up Eternal Kingdoms, etc.

Oh, nice! So the worlds are like many pieces of planets, it is like the concept of a globe isn't very common if it is not a Sun or a Moon, for what I could see, that, I would think, is because of the way things are generated through the ´´Parcels``, right?

I must also say that i absolutely love the concepts of this game, the style is so cute and pleasant, even if it is a minotaur slashing through someone i find it amusing and nice. This, for example:

Env_Stoneborn_F_01.jpg

I remember seeing this in a video ACE did some time ago, I think it was Jon's ´´World Building``, and he showed all this arts about the Stoneborn structures, the sense of gigantic scale, it was awesome! The environment does tell us stories, at least in this arts so far, and the link Kackal left says that ´´ We have a lot of art that hasn’t been implemented yet into the game. ``, hehehe exciting!

 

I think this answers the questions very well, thanks for your patience. Oh, and the dwarf is pleased.

smiling-dwarf-statue-under-block-stone-l

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hitsaus , ty for this thread!

I hope u will write us nice stories about diying worlds with ur dwarf ! The geography of crowfall is for me a big free place to the imagination of crows

and  ur post remind me something, one question i have always asked myself, is why the gods chose us, why we are their crow? for the history side of cf and our personal caracter, i wonder if any living people become a crow? or are we choosen ppl because we did something or maybe god's choose randomly... 

Are we like hero but just as crow ???

Many others questions  are turning in my head but i stop here ^^

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can expand a bit on what Jackalbark said. When I first came to ArtCraft, I asked Todd what the world should be called. As you mentioned, most MMOs do have a name for the game universe. (For EVE, it's New Eden, UO was Sosaria, WoW is Azeroth, etc.) Todd gave me an answer, but that name hasn't stuck so we never use it. Since then, there have been a couple of others that haven't stuck. 

I had a quick chat with him this morning to ask for an update. He said he thinks about it from time to time, but is still coming up blank. I imagine this is one of those things where he'll suddenly have a Eureka! moment that will hit him out of the blue, as often happens with creative geniuses. 

Wouldn't hurt to bring this up again in a few months to see if he's had an epiphany. 


Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pann said:

I can expand a bit on what Jackalbark said. When I first came to ArtCraft, I asked Todd what the world should be called. As you mentioned, most MMOs do have a name for the game universe. (For EVE, it's New Eden, UO was Sosaria, WoW is Azeroth, etc.) Todd gave me an answer, but that name hasn't stuck so we never use it. Since then, there have been a couple of others that haven't stuck. 

I had a quick chat with him this morning to ask for an update. He said he thinks about it from time to time, but is still coming up blank. I imagine this is one of those things where he'll suddenly have a Eureka! moment that will hit him out of the blue, as often happens with creative geniuses. 

Wouldn't hurt to bring this up again in a few months to see if he's had an epiphany. 

Thanks for the info, so you guys ARE thinking about it!

Since the game hasn't even started yet, I understand that it ain't finalized and definitive yet, but it is good to know that you guys take it into consideration, I noticed that you didn't mentioned TES in your examples as I did, it is... kinda of my game, I have all the books and etc. They have the imperial library, where they keep all the lore, and i know a lot of it, I love to talk about it. I really wish that someday we will have the crowfall version of it, with all the speculations of players who have played in many campaigns and seen many things. For now, lets wait for the epiphanies!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...