Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Suspension actions revisited

Recommended Posts

The Rules of Conduct have three parts: General, Forum and In-Game. The In-Game rules are intentionally lenient in comparison with the forum rules, allowing for players to be more aggressive. Still, there are some actions that simply won’t be tolerated, chief among those the use of hate speech threats of real-life violence.

Based on some recent player feedback, Gordon, Jack and I sat down and reviewed our warnings/suspension process for infractions of the in-game rules. Since we three are the ones who handle disciplinary actions, we wanted to be sure that we were totally aligned in order to deliver fair and consistent punishment.

Here is the system we have in place for forum warnings and will continue to follow:

WARNING POINTS – ACTION

1 – No action (“verbal” warning)
2 – 24-hour forum suspension
3 – One-week forum suspension
4 – Permanent suspension from the forums and the game

The reason why game accounts are also affected by permanent suspensions is from Gordon’s expansive experience in the video game industry that’s shown him that players who can’t behave on the forums don’t make for good “MMO citizens” in general and should be removed from the community all-together.

After a 90-day cool-down period, players under permanent suspension may contact support@crowfall.com to request an appeal. When an appeal is granted, it is under the condition that any further infractions of the rules by the user (either forum or in-game related) will immediately result in a final, irrevocable suspension of the forum and game accounts.

Furthermore, since trouble is caused by a user, not an account, all accounts linked to that user will be affected by the suspension.

Since the in-game rules are more lenient, the penalty for crossing the line is more severe.

  • No elements of speech related to race, ethnicity, religion, country of origin and/or lifestyle preference are allowed in-game. If any of these behaviors/actions can be reasonably seen to be directed or intended outside of the in-game role playing context, the Rules of Conduct will apply.
  • All other prohibited behaviors, such as using exploits or making real world threats (as noted in the General Rules of Conduct) are still considered actionable offenses and may result in disciplinary action against your game account.

We make a distinction between “general” and “targeted” behavior. “General” is when a statement is not directed at a specific person or group while “targeted” comments are clearly directed toward a specific person or group.

Note that these are the minimum penalties; the severity of the situation may result in more harsh punishment.

GENERAL HATE SPEECH – ACTION

First-time offender – 7-day suspension
Second-time offender – 30-day suspension
Third-time offender – Permanent suspension

TARGETED HATE SPEECH – ACTION

First-time offender – 30-day suspension
Second-time offender – Permanent suspension

The offense count is comprehensive, meaning that a user who has been suspended for seven days is a “first time offender” and will receive the “second time offender” punishment for any subsequent infractions of the rules.

REAL-WORLD THREATS (INCLUDING DOXING)
- Permanent suspension

Holler if you have questions. I'll do my best to answer them. 


Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pann said:

The reason why game accounts are also affected by permanent suspensions is from Gordon’s expansive experience in the video game industry that’s shown him that players who can’t behave on the forums don’t make for good “MMO citizens” in general and should be removed from the community all-together.

As long as all monies spent towards the game and not the forum are refunded you have that right. Those pesky laws and all....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pann how long do points stay on an account?  Is it 4 points and done over a period of 6 months or 4 points ever and gone?  The current system has a shelf life for points.  


40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah do I ever get the points removed for being quiet for long periods of time or something? I have always been an opinionated unpleasant person, but I did try to be helpful in short bursts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pann said:

 

  • All other prohibited behaviors, such as using EXPLOITS

@Pann Is this going into effect from the day of the post? Cause people are pretty used to exploiting. If you could also clarify what an exploit is it would be appreciated. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mystafyi said:

As long as all monies spent towards the game and not the forum are refunded you have that right. Those pesky laws and all....

From the Terms and Conditions

24.4. IN ADDITION TO THE FOREGOING, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT, EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE SET FORTH UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, YOU WILL NOT BE REFUNDED, RECEIVE MONEY, OR BE OTHERWISE COMPENSATED FOR UNUSED VIRTUAL CURRENCY OR VIRTUAL GOODS WHEN AN ACCOUNT IS CLOSED, WHETHER SUCH CLOSURE WAS VOLUNTARY OR INVOLUNTARY.

16 hours ago, srathor said:

Yeah do I ever get the points removed for being quiet for long periods of time or something? I have always been an opinionated unpleasant person, but I did try to be helpful in short bursts. 

A forum warning point goes away after 30 days. If you receive multiple warnings in close succession, those points can accrue to the level that you will be suspended. We always let people know when they are close to the danger zone. 

Warnings for in-game actions do not go away. As stated, it takes something drastic to get a warning for something in-game, so the punishment is severe. 

11 hours ago, pamintandrei said:

@Pann Is this going into effect from the day of the post? Cause people are pretty used to exploiting. If you could also clarify what an exploit is it would be appreciated. Thanks

An exploit is using the game in a way that's not intended and/or gives the user an unfair advantage. 


Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pann said:

From the Terms and Conditions

24.4. IN ADDITION TO THE FOREGOING, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT, EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE SET FORTH UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, YOU WILL NOT BE REFUNDED, RECEIVE MONEY, OR BE OTHERWISE COMPENSATED FOR UNUSED VIRTUAL CURRENCY OR VIRTUAL GOODS 

ToS does not supercede laws as the sentence you bolded and capitalized says. Anyway, silly to go down this tangent since I have this feeling you are really speaking of those folks that stalk, doxx or show extreme vitriol and hate speech ect. For those situations, you should remove those folks and I am pretty sure no laws will save them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Pann said:

An exploit is using the game in a way that's not intended and/or gives the user an unfair advantage. 

You're going to have to be very light handed when you deal with people and exploits.  There's next to little explained by the dev team about how to play the game or whats intended or whats a bug.  It's never as easy as common sense in a game with as many issues as CF or a game that's supposed to be as complex as CF is. 


40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...