Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Oktokk

Official release date

So I have a question, mainly out of curiosity.

If Crowfall has it's official "soft" release(Big if) are there going to be character wipes, spirit bank resets, and skill tree resets?

I mainly ask this question because of how long this has been in alpha and all the poor souls that have been hundreds if not thousands of hours into a game in alpha.

I also wonder if there is no hard wipe how unappealing it would be for a new player to start on official release.

I'm curious to what the Devs are thinking about this or if they have come to a verdict yet.

3 minutes ago, McTan said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the concept of having a soft launch is being revisited

The concept is so vague, how would we even know if it was revised? It's basically a normal launch but with less fanfare. Would we just say, "that's too much fanfare for a soft launch, this is a hard launch!"

IhhQKY6.gif

On 9/25/2019 at 6:22 PM, Jah said:

The concept is so vague, how would we even know if it was revised? It's basically a normal launch but with less fanfare. Would we just say, "that's too much fanfare for a soft launch, this is a hard launch!"

I agree, we'll only know in hindsight if there is a secondary launch after it. I kind of expect there only to be a single launch, at this point, since development has been so much more open than typical games. For me, I can't see a strong argument for not having just one launch with a massive percent of the marketing budget spent. I can, however, see a strong argument against doing a soft launch where they say "no more wipes" but do not spend the marketing budget then.

--

Headline: CROWFALL RELEASE JULY 2021! Play to Crush!

"I'm excited the game is finally coming out!"

"Yeah, but a bunch of people will already have passive training ahead of you, since they started in January 2021 with soft-launch. It wasn't highly advertised."

Cut to crying on the forums that people starting now are behind, even though it is marketed as launch or release.

--

It'll be a very, very fine needle to thread (if it's even possible), and does not seem worth the risk, IMO. Even if it is a negligible advantage, or is otherwise handled by game mechanics to mitigate advantage, it won't matter since the perception of an advantage is the actual problem.

Edited by McTan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

1 minute ago, McTan said:

I agree, we'll only know in hindsight if there is a secondary launch after it. I kind of expect there only to be a single launch, at this point, since development has been so much more open than typical games. For me, I can't see a strong argument for not having just one launch with a massive percent of the marketing budget spent. I can, however, see a strong argument against doing a soft launch where they say "no more wipes" but do not spending the marketing budget then.

--

Headline: CROWFALL RELEASE JULY 2021! Play to Crush!

"I'm excited the game is finally coming out!"

"Yeah, but a bunch of people will already have passive training ahead of you, since they started in January 2021 with soft-launch. It wasn't highly advertised."

Cut to crying on the forums that people starting now are behind, even though it is marketed as launch or release.

--

It'll be a very, very fine needle to thread (if it's even possible), and does not seem worth the risk, IMO.

Yep, it is kinda funny that from the perspective of prospective players, ACE has an obligation to heavily market their launch so people don't miss out on getting started right after the final wipe. Not sure what I think about that.

IhhQKY6.gif

9 minutes ago, Jah said:

Yep, it is kinda funny that from the perspective of prospective players, ACE has an obligation to heavily market their launch so people don't miss out on getting started right after the final wipe. Not sure what I think about that.

I'm not sure either. I definitely don't think they are obligated to market launch, but if they do market something, there better not be a "no more wipes" moment before it.

I do think they are essentially obligated from a financial standpoint, since launch will be such a massive percent of their remaining revenue for the game, but that's just my perception, not based on any inside knowledge.

2 hours ago, McTan said:

It'll be a very, very fine needle to thread (if it's even possible), and does not seem worth the risk, IMO. Even if it is a negligible advantage, or is otherwise handled by game mechanics to mitigate advantage, it won't matter since the perception of an advantage is the actual problem.

People cried about 3 day headstarts in some new games without offline skills, I will have to skip the forums around release to avoid sodium overload from complaints about months of lead time in new game. 

5 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

People cried about 3 day headstarts in some new games without offline skills, I will have to skip the forums around release to avoid sodium overload from complaints about months of lead time in new game. 

If Passive Training does stay in the game and there is a soft-launch, and ACE does implement catch-up mechanics, I could see some kind of BIG post-soft-launch promotion for the real prime time that includes a bunch of catch-u-mechanic voucher/items to people purchasing the game.

Edited by DocHollidaze

52 minutes ago, DocHollidaze said:

If Passive Training does stay in the game and there is a soft-launch, and ACE does implement catch-up mechanics, I could see some kind of BIG post-soft-launch promotion for the real prime time that includes a bunch of catch-u-mechanic voucher/items to people purchasing the game.

Yeah, but people still are going to feel like they are paying extra (even if they are not) to catch up with those already playing. It's a massive headache that should be avoided, IMO. Final full wipe should be advertised as launch, nothing else should even harbor any words or concepts resembling launch.

1 hour ago, McTan said:

Final full wipe should be advertised as launch

I agree with that - the point when there are no more data wipes IS the launch and I want a clear announcement of that date.

The question of how much money do you need to spend on marketing at that point is more difficult though.  I don't think ACE has the budget for a TV ad during the Superbowl :P  

tiPrpwh.png

1 hour ago, miraluna said:

I agree with that - the point when there are no more data wipes IS the launch and I want a clear announcement of that date.

The question of how much money do you need to spend on marketing at that point is more difficult though.  I don't think ACE has the budget for a TV ad during the Superbowl :P  

Yeah, I'd never want to comment on a specific dollar amount, but if they have marketing money set aside, then make it a big percentage!