Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blazzen

Poll: Full Wipe

Full Wipe Poll  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a full wipe (passive training, items and vessels) in October 2019?

31 minutes ago, Vicid said:

New Players will be left behind because of the badge gap.  

New Players will be left behind because of *insert excuse of the week here*

Honestly until there's an actual "New Player Experience" built into the game no amount of wiping is going to make anyone want to stick around unless they have some vested interest in the game. It doesn't level the playing field, it doesn't provide any new feedback, it doesn't encourage anyone to like the passive training... all it does is waste the time of the current testing population.

7 hours ago, KatzeWeiss said:

New Players will be left behind because of *insert excuse of the week here*

Honestly until there's an actual "New Player Experience" built into the game no amount of wiping is going to make anyone want to stick around unless they have some vested interest in the game. It doesn't level the playing field, it doesn't provide any new feedback, it doesn't encourage anyone to like the passive training... all it does is waste the time of the current testing population.

The interesting thing is that not a single new player has asked for a wipe for primarily balance purposes in this thread. On the contrary, I was the only one to bring it up, and as an ancillary point (which I've now removed, so as to not distract from the conversation). However more than half of the posts by veterans are projecting that. 

There hasn't been a full wipe since war tribes were added and several other features were fleshed out. Testing the launch experience even in the existing pre-Dregs state of the game could yield insight to help to improve launch, which is what we should all care the most about. 

Edited by Earnestly

4 minutes ago, Earnestly said:

The interesting thing is that not a single new player has asked for a wipe for primarily balance purposes in this thread. On the contrary, I was the only one to bring it up, and as an ancillary point (which I've now removed, so as to not distract from the conversation). However more than half of the posts by veterans are projecting that. 

Balance between new players and vets was the reason given by ACE for considering a wipe at this time, though.

IhhQKY6.gif

Just now, Earnestly said:

There hasn't been a full wipe since war tribes were added and several other features were fleshed out. Testing the launch experience even in the existing pre-Dregs state of the game could yield insight to help to improve launch, which is what we should all care the most about. 

Except we have done that many times already before you got here. 

If they do a full wipe, prepare to see a lot of vets stop playing, and then when newbies come along with questions, they'll get nothing but crickets. You think the servers are empty now?

It's really easy to suggest a wipe when you have nothing to lose.

This thread is basically just a continuation of the thread Pann posted with a poll that represents what players actually want vs what ACE precieved we wanted. In that thread there were more than a few people commeting on how a wipe will encourage new players.

So while my response may have been more appropriate over there, this is where the original conversation continued.

5 minutes ago, Arkade said:

If they do a full wipe, prepare to see a lot of vets stop playing, and then when newbies come along with questions, they'll get nothing but crickets. You think the servers are empty now?

Fair point I did not consider this.

-Draconic Warlords, Usual Suspects, Freaks of Nature, Disturbed Forces, The Hate Crew, TSCCC-

When people here say they think the game at a zero start state needs to be tested, what many are actually saying is they want other people to log in and test it for them because many of the folks in this and the other thread don't really play the game anymore to the degree that is required to actually test this stuff.

1 hour ago, Vicid said:

New Players will be left behind because of the badge gap.  

true every time i pvp i feel the badge difference. Its almost impossible to pvp without the gold badge. People laugh at my silver 😕

7 hours ago, Arkade said:

It's really easy to suggest a wipe when you have nothing to lose.

None of us have anything to lose because we're discussing pixels that will definitely be wiped regardless. We do, however, have a lot to gain by testing this cycle thoroughly. 

7 hours ago, Arkade said:

Except we have done that many times already before you got here. 

Are you sure there has been a wipe since war tribes were added? What else has changed in the many months since then?

7 hours ago, DocHollidaze said:

When people here say they think the game at a zero start state needs to be tested, what many are actually saying is they want other people to log in and test it for them because many of the folks in this and the other thread don't really play the game anymore to the degree that is required to actually test this stuff.

I just started playing again casually a few weeks ago, and the game is in a much better state than when I left. However, I already had training accrued to some extent, and some help from people that are fully trained and geared out. I'm very interested in what the experience will be like after a full wipe considering the changes to the game since the last one. 

We have potentially five months before the next major piece of content. Shouldn't we focus on testing what we can? 

8 hours ago, KatzeWeiss said:

This thread is basically just a continuation of the thread Pann posted with a poll that represents what players actually want vs what ACE precieved we wanted. In that thread there were more than a few people commeting on how a wipe will encourage new players.

So while my response may have been more appropriate over there, this is where the original conversation continued.

Truth, my bad! 

12 minutes ago, Earnestly said:

None of us have anything to lose because we're discussing pixels that will definitely be wiped regardless.

You are discounting people's time and effort. More wipes means more time and effort needs to be spent farming and crafting to equip characters. Equipping a guild to a competitive level takes a considerable amount of time and effort.

People who have not invested much time into equipping since the last wipe have less to lose. People who will not invest much time into equipping in the next few months if there is an October wipe have less to lose.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Honestly, a wipe seems like it would not attract new players. I know nobody new from MWH will play until the patch, so it seems like people who have been invested since the last wipe should be able to play out their time and energy until then.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

It's looking Brexit close.

The Euros ( @Yumx @Tinnis) should consult on how many years we will need to make a decision.

Blazzen is taking up the vaunted mantle of Boris Johnson.

ACE going to piss off approx. half the population regardless.

Edited by Angelmar

5 hours ago, Angelmar said:

We are 60d out from an the last full item/vessel wipe demanded by people that mostly don't play.  That wipe led to guilds like UxA quitting.

So full wipe in October and then 60-120 days later do it again?  

The pre-alpha population has essentially been stable and stagnant from bigworld to 5.8 (50-75).  The news of 5.8 brought a huge boom up to 200 concurrent and then declined back to 100 concurrent the last 5 months.

Wipe without new content will not bring in new blood and may drive away current players that don't want to rebuild every 60-90 days.

Calling it now two weeks post wipe, the siege concurrent pop will at best be the same approx 100 players there currently are.

excellent points

ShadowBane - Former IC of Societas Daemonica (2005 -2014)

ShadowBane - Former IC Nordic Chapter SB (2004)

ShadowBane -  Former IC / NL of House of Atreides, Damnation (2003-2004)

People who rarely play or have not been playing long don't feel like they have much to lose. That is not surprising to me. Time and energy spent trying to be successful in this game is certainly something that is expended, ergo lost. That wiping of effort is keenly felt by folks who log 20+ hours a week in this game every week for the last 9 months (beginning of big content release of 2019)

Some people like to snicker at WB for "tryharding" but honestly - for the folks saying this phase of the game needs to be tested to be prepared well for launch and live, well there you go, WB has been testing and showing what effort might look like to try and win/succeed in this game. Your welcome? lol ok, sorry :D

I'm not sure what valuable test info will be gained by having people who log in maybe 3 times and quit as the body of testers for this so-called essential testing operation.

A full wipe is likely to cause the people actually doing the bulk of playing and testing, to not want to do much playing and testing. In my mind it is a catch22. The catch22 is primarily a result of many people being tired of playing Crowfall 5.X

So, TLDR - a full wipe is not likely to cause the kind of testing that people think a wipe will enable.

1 minute ago, DocHollidaze said:

So, TLDR - a full wipe is not likely to cause the kind of testing that people think a wipe will enable.

To be fair, ACE indicated they are not even going to touch the live version. Since there isn't testing going on and certainly no fixes, I am unsure why folks are using testing as a reason for anything revolving this wipe. ACE just wanted to know if it would be a QOL improvement for new players by just doing a skill wipe since everything else is off the table. I think you are correct in that many older vets will just quit till alpha.  I feel this will negatively effect new players worse then crafting/resource skill imbalances.

People who rarely play or have not been playing long don't feel like they have much to lose. That is not surprising to me. Time and energy spent trying to be successful in this game is certainly something that is expended, ergo lost. That wiping of effort is keenly felt by folks who log 20+ hours a week in this game every week for the last 9 months (beginning of big content release of 2019)

There are people who have invested this time and still voted yes, as I would in their shoes. I suspect it has to do with valuing the end state of the game more than "winning" in pre-alpha. 

Some people like to snicker at WB for "tryharding" but honestly - for the folks saying this phase of the game needs to be tested to be prepared well for launch and live, well there you go, WB has been testing and showing what effort might look like to try and win/succeed in this game. Your welcome? lol ok, sorry :D

[..]

Literally no one has tested the current state of the game after a full-wipe, because the last one was many months ago before numerous additions (for example, God's Reach and Wartribes). 

7 hours ago, mystafyi said:

To be fair, ACE indicated they are not even going to touch the live version. Since there isn't testing going on and certainly no fixes, I am unsure why folks are using testing as a reason for anything revolving this wipe.

Because it's a major aspect of launch that hasn't been tested yet, and it's the most worthwhile testing we can do on Live over the next five months.

Edited by Earnestly

7 minutes ago, Earnestly said:

Literally no one has tested the current state of the game after a full-wipe, because the last one was many months ago before numerous additions (for example, God's Reach and Wartribes). 

Because it's a major aspect of launch that hasn't been tested yet, and it's the only worthwhile testing we can do on Live over the next five months.

At launch from zero will occur one time and never be relevant again. What’s to test there? 

And it has been tested. Last December i believe. There is far more value in testing imbalance in current environment then there is in a fresh one. Since 99.99999% of the game will be played with such “imbalance”. You really feel that 0.00001% is worth testing for the falsely perceived notion it will make things fair? What happens 2 months after this wipe and the next round of new people cry again? Another wipe? A loop that solves nothing. 

Buy me an account, I won’t start any passives, and I guarantee you I’ll be able to go out there and kill people with older accounts. I’ll just use dropped gear and hit knot wood for dust with basic tools to get whatever else I need. 

Really? Can we stop wasting the Development time with requests to get a 'fair' playing environment? It's in ALPHA, no balance passes have been made, and they're already planning a wipe in Jan-Feb for 5.11.... Let the team focus on what needs to be done to get mechanics in, a solid test environment, bug fixing and balance passes. These types of requests I'd expect from playing the game, not play-testing the alpha....

I want to make an addendum. 

I've been playing Crowfall for about 2 months. I don't care if players who have been around longer have an advantage. The last stream Todd said they're working on a catch up system for the live service to prevent the need for wipes post launch. Players who have invested more time, have more experience, farmed more items, have earned that advantage. As a new player, I don't see that as "unfair". I see it as an aspiration, and I see it as a challenge. They worked for it, so should I. And frankly I have been busting my ass to get an Epic vessel, recently acquired. I've spent loads of hours on TEST, finding out what works and what doesn't. And never once have I thought "I'm never going to catch up to the older players, this sucks, they should wipe everyones progress so I can win petty duels". 
You know what actually bothers me? Incomplete tracks I can't test yet. Bugs like Spellbound Longbows w/ Frost Quivers not firing properly. An upoptimized client, while I'm sure they'll get to polishing it, massive frame drops and stuttering when spinning the camera sucks. Not being able to test things like Caravans, Frostweaver, or Salvaging. I want to see what the game is going to be, and couldn't give a damn if veteran players beat me in a fight. They'll eventually hardcap tracks, and I'll catch up. Balancing will eventually happen. 
So as an actual new player, if I'm allowed to still call myself that, I see these older players trying to speak for the new people condescending and patronizing. I am a new player, and I don't give a flying rats ass about your ego's. I wonna see where my money and time is going. 

Edited by BaronLovat