Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1500 Powers?

APE

The recent TTH article had this:

we have about 1500 unique powers spread across thousands of unique race/class/sub-class combinations

They've created a lot but that number seems a bit high unless I'm missing something. Blair math can only explain so much.

Also, there is no doubt a lot of possible combos when factoring in disciplines (assume this means sub-class), but realistically viable options aren't that high. Marketing hype is what it is though.

I'll give them the combos potential but not sure where 1500 powers comes from.

10 minutes ago, blazzen said:

They count every step within a combo as a "power". 

For example - the confessor LMB is Fireball 1, 2 and 3. That alone counts as 3 powers. 

This was my assumption. Which is a bit redonk. 

50 minutes ago, blazzen said:

They count every step within a combo as a "power". 

For example - the confessor LMB is Fireball 1, 2 and 3. That alone counts as 3 powers. 

I assumed this, but there aren't that many powers, combos, or even passives across all races, classes, disciplines. At least things that you can actively use or just slot for whatever benefit.

Maybe they count the modified version of powers from talents or something but even then they seem to get several hundred more then what I see.

Did a rough count being very generous and ended up with 1200. More accurate would likely be a few hundred less.

No biggie, but when actual numbers are stated and being used to sell something, I like to know where they pulled the number from. One thing to say they have "thousands" of combinations and another to say they have ~1500 powers.

3 hours ago, APE said:

Blair math can only explain so much.

My PhD thesis was on Blair Math and I happen to be one of the worlds experts in Blair Math (see my most recent book: Blair Math and understanding the secrets of the universe).  I fundamentally disagree with you.  Blair Math, if used correctly, can solve all equations.   

Also, 1500 does seem high. 

Edited by mandalore
40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

1 hour ago, coolster50 said:

They prolly also include mob powers, considering most mobs have 4 different charges, I can see it adding up

The comment seemed to be specific to players and the numerous options we have. Even with mobs, there isn't 100 mobs with 4 unique powers or anything crazy. Most seem to be using player powers.

the incredibly deep character advancement system (we have about 1500 unique powers spread across thousands of unique race/class/sub-class combinations).

I suspect the number comes from one of two places-- either a design spreadsheet, or their content management system. It almost certainly includes powers that are not currently available in game. Old powers from deprecated Disciplines and Archetypes, and new powers that have not yet been added. I could see that getting them up to 1500.

IhhQKY6.gif

4 minutes ago, Jah said:

I suspect the number comes from one of two places-- either a design spreadsheet, or their content management system. It almost certainly includes powers that are not currently available in game. Old powers from deprecated Disciplines and Archetypes, and new powers that have not yet been added. I could see that getting them up to 1500.

That would make more sense as we've seen plenty come and go over the years and they might just use a running total which is a bit misleading to use as marketing. Is what it is, but can't help being irked when companies use buzzwords and inflated numbers that tend to be thrown back at them negatively. 

Every classes left click combo is a 3 part combo.  ACE considers that 3 different powers.  Every part of every combo power is considered a power.  Dodge is a power, retaliate, etc. are all individual powers.

Edited by Angelmar

1 hour ago, Angelmar said:

Every classes left click combo is a 3 part combo.  ACE considers that 3 different powers.  Every part of every combo power is considered a power.  Dodge is a power, retaliate, etc. are all individual powers.

That's understood.

Maybe I'll waste a few more mins and do a better count, but even counting every combo step, passive, and double counting powers altered by talents the result will still likely be far from 1500.

12 minutes ago, APE said:

That's understood.

Maybe I'll waste a few more mins and do a better count, but even counting every combo step, passive, and double counting powers altered by talents the result will still likely be far from 1500.

And don't forget every racial dodge is a different power, and every class retaliate, a few different blocks, etc.

IhhQKY6.gif

22 minutes ago, Jah said:

And don't forget every racial dodge is a different power, and every class retaliate, a few different blocks, etc.

When I did my estimate I gave every class 75 powers to account for them double dipping powers modified by talents. Believe Champ Base + Promos is <30 powers/passives and they are one of the more combo heavy classes.

I'll maybe hop on tomorrow and check, but highly doubtful there is close to 1500 without ACE being generous as to what is considered a power, at least what we have access to.

it can be even more than 1500 if they count every single relation as separated mechanic

you can watch how skills are development by clicking on several mechanics

anyway quality > quantity. most of the skills are poor copy-paste of several mechanics. but they are required to build unique icon, animation and FX effect most of the time. Dunno is it worth or not.

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: rangefall

Discord makkon#8550

the (somewhat ancient) press kit has ~431 icons for class/disc powers (188 class / 243 disc) which are broken into multi for combos. some of those likely removed too e.g. weapon discs.

there are ~44 race powers/passives.

= 475

@Scree / malekai data?

personally i assume they counted skill training nodes into this...even if most of those are gone now too.

Edited by Tinnis

I'd suppose that from a dev point of view, when talking about character advancement, the word "powers" might feel appropriate as a general term for all the stat providing things that get applied to a character. There are many hundreds of them listed under the details tab in the character/inventory window. Plus fighting abilities, plus, plus, plus. So I don't see 1.500 being a big problem.

It surely would be interesting to get more details, yeah. But I don't think that starting that off like this thread did would be the best possible way to get there. Just out of logical reasons: If I tell something, another one doubts it and demands that I tell more ... why should I do it? The person already proved not to believe me, so why should I waste any time just to get the next wave of disbelieve? Just saying.

2W1ZHpA.jpg
EU-Support-Guild
Join - Discord Channel 

Heh, he might have just said it. Everyone exaggerates when talking about their job. If you ask me about my job I write tons of emails each day and answer hundreds of phone calls. If anyone were to actually look into it, I'm not sure how many pounds of emails I send but it's probably not even a ton let alone multiple tons

-Draconic Warlords, Usual Suspects, Freaks of Nature, Disturbed Forces, The Hate Crew, TSCCC-

2 hours ago, hurt said:

If anyone were to actually look into it, I'm not sure how many pounds of emails I send but it's probably not even a ton let alone multiple tons

How much does your typical E-mail weigh?? 

50 minutes ago, ShadowwBoi13 said:

How much does your typical E-mail weigh?? 

Less than 20 parsecs?

😁

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai