Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
copperfield

Wildstar Action Combat?

The problem I have with the twitchy fps style some of you all want here is I just see it being a pain in the arse in large battles. I feel it's play style holds best in small groups and 1 on 1 scenerio's.(Ganker's dream style ) I think the more GW2 style fits better in a siege game like this, especially when you start tossing in  physics in the mix as well.  That's my perception on it though.

Except that Darkfall definitely had the best large-scale combat ever seen by a huge margin so your argument holds no water at all...

Member of The BlackHand Order

@Oberon the colours thing on the ground need to go - u reveal your attack moves to the entire world

Just so you know the pro-telegraph group are actually pretty split about whether or not you should be able to see telegraphs other than your own. Personally I would prefer Tera style combat but if ACE choose to stick with the telegraph system I would prefer it if you could only see your own telegraphs. Either way it's not a game-breaker for me.

or maybe its because developers have brains.

FPS in an MMO makes ZERO sense. You work for months to build and tweak and perfect your character. It is a fine tuned creation of your imagination coupled with the hundreds of hours of work you put into game time. FPS's genre rely on twitch. For twitch to be meaningful, you must necessarily reduce pvp encounters to no more than a few seconds, otherwise twitch FPS would have no bearing if it took 2 minutes of "TWITCH FPS" to kill a guy. The genre's dont play well together, since after inputting so much time, we dont want our roleplay creation to get blown up in a headshot from a guy with 30 less ping than you.  There are plenty of FPS games out there. There have also been plenty of MMO's that have tried to mix the two and failed. Crowfall has openly stated what they are, and what they wish to become. They have also had the balls to tell people like you that Crowfall might not be for "you". They appear to be very adamant about maintaining their original vision, and as such, you should probably stop wasting your time trying to mold this game into something you want, and instead, go find something else.

Tom Clancy's The Division might be more up your alley.

Sigh.. the amount of ignorance no these boards, losing all faith in humanity.

Member of The BlackHand Order

I was really hoping for some king of [DOTA 2 / Shadowbane] Hybrid of combat, they have been hands down the best combat I've had playing online, mixing skill and deliberation.

I've not played wildstar but hated the combat in WoW/Rift.. Aion did a good job, mainly from the animations being so highly polished and gave great feedback but the combat in the KS video looks very floaty :S

I'm a little worried about the direction the combat is going in and was hoping that your "build" plays as much of a part of the outcome of combat as "skill" (twitch), but backed with $250 and looking forward to trying it out.

I think it's worth noting that between now and the forecast release date in 2 years time, we can have something that everyone is happy with.  

I liked everything you said in the post, but this line stuck out to me.

Where are you getting 2 years time?  The only date I've seen so far is Winter 2016, which should be Jan-March of next year.  That's how I would interpret it based on other seasonal game releases.

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

I just watched the mmorpg video and interview, which features some gameplay footage. I have to say...I really dislike the ground telegraphs. It looks ugly and silly. It simplifies combat for the dummies. But there's also gameplay footage with the telegraphs turned off, and it looks SO much better. Lightyears improvement. That footage has been linked here a few times. I really hope they're open to just getting rid of telegraphs. Also..animation locking: please no.

I liked everything you said in the post, but this line stuck out to me.

Where are you getting 2 years time?  The only date I've seen so far is Winter 2016, which should be Jan-March of next year.  That's how I would interpret it based on other seasonal game releases.

I am pretty sure winter means Q4. If you add some months of delay (typical of modern games), it adds up to 2 years.

y9tj8G5.png

I am pretty sure winter means Q4. If you add some months of delay (typical of modern games), it adds up to 2 years.

Labeling it Q4 is much better.  The winter months are generally Jan-March.

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

Except that Darkfall definitely had the best large-scale combat ever seen by a huge margin so your argument holds no water at all...

Says you and three other people.  The rest of the world disagrees, that spammy crap combat wasn't "best" by any serious meaning of the word.

I just watched the mmorpg video and interview, which features some gameplay footage. I have to say...I really dislike the ground telegraphs. It looks ugly and silly. It simplifies combat for the dummies. But there's also gameplay footage with the telegraphs turned off, and it looks SO much better. Lightyears improvement. That footage has been linked here a few times. I really hope they're open to just getting rid of telegraphs. Also..animation locking: please no.

They already stated you will be able to turn them off if you want, so don't worry.

Please no Darkfall.. It felt wrong, I didn't really like it. I think Tera is the perfect middleground. GW2-combat is also amazing. But please no Wildstar or Darkfall :(

They already stated you will be able to turn them off if you want, so don't worry.

That's a good thing, but doing so shoots yourself in the foot a bit. I think I said this earlier, but it's the image that telegraphs create. Since this thread is about WildStar...whenever I showed people WildStar combat (especially pvp with lots of players) every response was that it looks like a chaotic mess, because of the telegraphs. Not even that it promotes awareness or skill to avoid telegraphs, because it doesn't. Having to just learn each ability and spell's range and how to best avoid requires way more tactics. Really it just looks like nonsense.

So I'm envisioning streams and videos featuring the game and people really being turned off in a similar way. But that's just my experience.

Telegraphs tended to homogenize the game for me in Wildstar.  I didn't feel like I was actually doing anything (maybe because I was spellslinger), just throwing different telegraphs at people.  Wasn't really fun.

That's all your opinion and perception. Everyone has a different idea of best as we can obviously see in this damn thread ... so your argument holds no water as well.

To me DF combat was slow and boring as all get out. That's my perception of it. I prefer "fun" fluid game play over realism, all this talk about weight and skating etc is what I am talking about. I really play these to enjoy it not feel like I am running around in real life shooting a freaking bow at  a person in real life and want the game to reflect that. 

Edited by sarin