Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
copperfield

Wildstar Action Combat?

They did mention it before on one of the pages but I do have to agree. Not a fan of telegraphs. Hope they remove them in the future or at least eliminate them early on in the game. They're fine as a crutch for new players but anything beyond that and I start to worry how it impacts play at a competitive level.

Edited by sado

The more I think about this, the more it irritates me. I hated telegraphs in WildStar...much more than I thought I would. I know you can disable them here, but you're gimping yourself doing so. Plus it's just the image it creates. You'll see streams and videos of the game with telegraphs everywhere. It looks gimmicky and amateurish. Honestly, this is something that would keep me from funding. Just remove them entirely, please. The magic word has been used.

Anyone else feeling this way? I was honestly hoping for something unique (maybe in the direction of Darkfall Online,Asherons Call or even Planetside).

From what we've seen today the combat looks to be very similar to that of Wildstar which was, ugh... not that great  :(

Does character movement and combat look rather floaty to anyone else? That centaur certainly didn't look like it had any weight to it at all. 

That's the big issue. I'm not sure why people were expecting "FPS" combat here, clearly the game is in third person with an action element to it, but that's fine.

The problem is that action combat needs to have weight and impact behind hits, something that wasn't there in the footage at all.

With Voxel farm you already have a huge server load having to manage those physics. With friendly fire they implemented the best system they could that allows the player to know if they are going to mess up there buddies. 

They have announced that the marked aerias for the skill targets can be turned on and off in the settings.
I'm pretty busy right now, so anyone with the time to actually find the dev-post and post a link below would be "so keeewl".

From what we've seen today the combat looks to be very similar to that of Wildstar which was, ugh... not that great  :(

Never played Wildstar. It reminded me of Guild Wars 2, with fun little extras (like voxel farm, friendly fire). Devs, take this as a compliment.

That's the big issue. I'm not sure why people were expecting "FPS" combat here, clearly the game is in third person with an action element to it, but that's fine.

The problem is that action combat needs to have weight and impact behind hits, something that wasn't there in the footage at all.

Yeah, I would like to think that they simply haven't implemented weight and impact into the game yet, but it would be stupid to leave things to assumption., I'd very rather ask the devs on what the state of combat is.

I'm going to pull this from the Combat FAQ which we updated this morning. 

"In deciding what we want combat to “look and feel like,” we are drawing a lot of our inspiration from other recent MMOs. We love the idea of action-combat – but we have to make sure the game doesn’t get too “twitchy” (i.e. require lightning fast reflexes or too much button-mashing).

Combat has certain elements that are similar to Wildstar (our movement includes things sprints, dashes, and double jumps) and other elements that are similar to TERA (combo attacks that have short “locked” animation sequences – chains which you can opt to continue or break, for a cost.)

The result – when combined with our voxel terrain and physics based movement systems – is combat sequences that looks more fluid, feel more visceral and require more tactical thinking."

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

"In deciding what we want combat to “look and feel like,” we are drawing a lot of our inspiration from other recent MMOs. We love the idea of action-combat – but we have to make sure the game doesn’t get too “twitchy” (i.e. require lightning fast reflexes or too much button-mashing).

Combat has certain elements that are similar to Wildstar (our movement includes things sprints, dashes, and double jumps) and other elements that are similar to TERA (combo attacks that have short “locked” animation sequences – chains which you can opt to continue or break, for a cost.)

The result – when combined with our voxel terrain and physics based movement systems – is combat sequences that looks more fluid, feel more visceral and require more tactical thinking."

Why are you drawing inspiration from other recent MMO's when the majority of them ended up being failures?

Edited by macavity

7ug90hM.png

I appreciate the link. I'd like to ask whether there is an intention to tie weight and impact into the animations themselves. Will a player with 200 strength and a player with 50 strength have the exact same animation when they use shield bash? Or will the player will 200 strength actually look like his shield bash had more strength put into it? Not just talking about how far a person was knocked back as a result, but the animation quality in particular.

Also since it's relevant, can we have any information on whether the game uses hold right mouse look or FPS style mouse look?