Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
copperfield

Wildstar Action Combat?

are you guys serieus with this i mean?

Free fps aiming or burst..

its just prealpha basic examples i wouldnt judge the combat just yet, theres tons more work to do lets hope they will learn from wildstars and GW2 epic fail

I'm going to pull this from the Combat FAQ which we updated this morning. 

"In deciding what we want combat to “look and feel like,” we are drawing a lot of our inspiration from other recent MMOs. We love the idea of action-combat – but we have to make sure the game doesn’t get too “twitchy” (i.e. require lightning fast reflexes or too much button-mashing).

Combat has certain elements that are similar to Wildstar (our movement includes things sprints, dashes, and double jumps) and other elements that are similar to TERA (combo attacks that have short “locked” animation sequences – chains which you can opt to continue or break, for a cost.)

The result – when combined with our voxel terrain and physics based movement systems – is combat sequences that looks more fluid, feel more visceral and require more tactical thinking."

That all sounds fine. But telegraphs...not so much. People just wind up staring at the ground rather than the actual combat. It becomes an 'avoid the red flashy stuff' gameplay experience. You take telegraphs out and you have to actually learn and inherently understand different spell and ability distance and how to best avoid them. It adds another layer to the combat. Players shouldn't have to weaken themselves by disabling them. They should just be removed altogether.

PRE ALPHA GAME FOOTAGE

How is anything supposed to improve or switch towards a different direction if people can't raise their concerns? You can keep shouting "PRE ALPHA/PRE BETA/BETA FOOTAGE" all year long until release day. But if you do that not much is going to change and we're going to be left disappointed realizing how blind fanboyism made this game turn into a inferior product.

He raises a valid point as it showed us what general direction they want to head with the combat though, which to me is worrisome.

I liked Wildstar combat. That's one thing that game had going for it really well. what seems to be the problem, gentlemen?

Greatswords for Frostweavers 2015! For great justice! And swords.

P.S. I like swords.

Following up from what Blair said; 

Everything you are seeing today is Pre-Alpha. That means everything you see will see a substantial upgrade before alpha and especially launch, in some areas (like combat) big, BIG improvements and changes. 

You're seeing the very early prototype work right now, typically at this point in the AAA world you wouldn't know of a games existence.

We want to be as transparent with our thinking and progress as possible as we develop Crowfall :-)

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I agree with the idea someone posted before (or was on the suggestion thread, I am not sure), If you will keep the telegraphs, make them only so you can see your own telegraphs and not the enemy/friend ones.

If you make the animation match the telegraphs, you won't need telegraphs at all, all I saw in the pre-alpha footage was a really poor made animations, the sword movements didn't match at all the telegraphs size and shape.

Telegraphs also end up making people fighting vs telegraphs instead of fighting vs characters.

If you took inspiration from TERA, just take their example and make animations good enough so you don't need telegraphs.

How is anything supposed to improve or switch towards a different direction if people can't raise their concerns? You can keep shouting "PRE ALPHA/PRE BETA/BETA FOOTAGE" all year long until release day. But if you do that not much is going to change and we're going to be left disappointed realizing how blind fanboyism made this game turn into a inferior product.

He raises a valid point as it showed us what general direction they want to head with the combat though, which to me is worrisome.

What Mcwhiskey is saying is give it some time.  Relax a bit.  I believe AC is fully aware that the majority of the community does not want this.  Just check the poll.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/2667-telegraphs-need-to-go-new-gameplay-trailer/

I agree with the idea someone posted before (or was on the suggestion thread, I am not sure), If you will keep the telegraphs, make them only so you can see your own telegraphs and not the enemy/friend ones.

If you make the animation match the telegraphs, you won't need telegraphs at all, all I saw in the pre-alpha footage was a really poor made animations, the sword movements didn't match at all the telegraphs size and shape.

Telegraphs also end up making people fighting vs telegraphs instead of fighting vs characters.

If you took inspiration from TERA, just take their example and make animations good enough so you don't need telegraphs.

This is exactly what we will find out as we do internal testing! We are on the same page. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I would hate to release pre-alpha footage as a developer knowing how self-assured and arrogant the general gaming community seems to be.

Which is why you see very little camelot unchained footage... everything changes month to month in development, and yet people complain there is no constant CU footage offered

This is exactly what we will find out as we do internal testing! We are on the same page. 

Wow, I didn't expect a dev answer, I feel important now, you just make me want to support the game, I was thinking on doing it, but with the gameplay footage I was kinda turn off.

With that answer you just won 30 box man. Thank you.

We want to be as transparent with our thinking and progress as possible as we develop Crowfall :-)

When are we gonna know more about spells(types of spells, number of spells, interactions, etc)? It's one of the most important things to me at this point, but there's 0 info, so I don't feel like backing until I know more.

7ug90hM.png

The problem isn't just the telegraphs, it's whether there is any verticality to aiming.  I can't say i'm surprised that they adopted this combat system though.  It's pretty much a progressive step for shadowbane/wiz101 players without making it too hard on them. 

It sucks for us die hard pvpers who want really skill-based combat but life isn't perfect.

Cool, I like telegraphs for range finding since the animation happens AFTER you hit the button and it's a nice aid for those who aren't on 24/7 and know every pixel of depth to every move. Optionally let a person turn off the telegraphs, but default with them on.

Edited by mcfear