Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Imppen

Wishlist: Rare spawns/Rare loot!

One of my favourite things to do in MMORPG's since i started playing MMORPGs in 2003 is camping rare spawns in FFXI (not FFXIV). I know this is a PvP oriented game, but it wouldn't be a hard thing to implement.

There could be rare spawns spawning once every hour/2nd hour, Maybe some spawning only once/twice each day, maybe some spawning once each week, maybe some spawning only during some seasons etc etc. Maybe have them spawn in PvP areas, easier soloable ones and maybe some that actually requires a small group to kill. People would have to fight each other in order to claim the spawn. Maybe some more relaxed too, spawning in safe areas? Possibilities are endless. With the fun aspect of camping rare spawns that's actually worth camping, or having the luck of stumbling upon.

Then they could have a chance to drop some kind of rare loot that you could either sell or use yourself. This i enjoyed _Very_ much back in the days i played FFXI. I could go out myself and camp some spawns, or maybe with some friends/guildies to try and find some tougher ones... It's a little bit like hunting :)

Edit: (I wanna add this to the main post too) I also want to add that if each zone has 1-2 rares even travelling will become more interesting. Since you can keep an eye open for these while traveling. Obviously spawn timers will need to be adjusted accordingly, if there are more rares the spawn timers should be longer so they don't become too common. They'd invite to world PvP etc. etc. I think in the end it'd just add another fun factor to the game.

Edited by Imppen

Pro crow in the makings 😉. Extreme newbie for the time being ❤️. MMORPGamer since 2003.

dropped gear being better then crafted has 0 chance of happening, now a rare mob that drops some rare ingredient for an item that is above legendary tier would be in the realm of possibility, and if you want to farm for rare drops you can go farm a king or chief for treated steel hammers

hoayaga2.jpg

It doesn't have to be gear, it can be whatever, obviously it'd have to be within the realm of relative to balance. Maybe ingredients for +1 crafts? Even gear? Disciplines? It can be whatever. The droprate wouldn't have to be high either, this could also vary. It's the hunt that's fun! And there wouldn't be no hunt if it isn't something worth hunting for. If there were some out in the world it'd also attract for world PvP.

Edit: I also want to add that if each zone has 1-2 rares even travelling will become more interesting. Since you can keep an eye open for these while traveling. Obviously spawn timers will need to be adjusted accordingly, if there are more rares the spawn timers should be longer so they don't become too common.

Edited by Imppen

Pro crow in the makings 😉. Extreme newbie for the time being ❤️. MMORPGamer since 2003.

Rare mobs?  Well you already got that, Chiefs and Kings.

As for them dropping finished gear.  IMO through be limited to dropping ressources, rather than items.  

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

13 hours ago, Staff said:

dropped gear being better then crafted has 0 chance of happening

Where were you when they added rng dropped gear that is comparable or better to early/mid game crafted gear? The majority of focus has been on PvE this past year, I would not expect that trend to suddenly reverse course.

31 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Where were you when they added rng dropped gear that is comparable or better to early/mid game crafted gear? The majority of focus has been on PvE this past year, I would not expect that trend to suddenly reverse course.

mid tier gear is blue which is 100% better then dropped gear, epic gear and legendary gear are miles above any dropped gear and it will always be that way, dropped gear will never surpass crafted gear

hoayaga2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Staff said:

mid tier gear is blue which is 100% better then dropped gear, epic gear and legendary gear are miles above any dropped gear and it will always be that way, dropped gear will never surpass crafted gear

Doesn't that really depend upon the crafters passive skills? I never tried to imply that top crafted gear was inferior to rng drop, I should have said white/green gear, since as you say, blue crafted is currently better. It might not always be that way, it used to be that all crafted gear was better, then they added rng dropped loot. 

You are describing discipline droppers, and hopefully CF copies SB with this mechanic. They seem to be resistant, but I don't see why they can't make a good subset of the disciplines dropped from specific mobs.

I would freaking love to see battles over the Foreman disc.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

17 hours ago, McTan said:

You are describing discipline droppers, and hopefully CF copies SB with this mechanic. They seem to be resistant, but I don't see why they can't make a good subset of the disciplines dropped from specific mobs.

I would freaking love to see battles over the Foreman disc.

Not resistant. Just low priority currently. Thralls are planned from my understanding. Some of the current features are for QoL (discipline combined for example). 

22 hours ago, mystafyi said:

Doesn't that really depend upon the crafters passive skills? I never tried to imply that top crafted gear was inferior to rng drop, I should have said white/green gear, since as you say, blue crafted is currently better. It might not always be that way, it used to be that all crafted gear was better, then they added rng dropped loot. 

Before dropped gear there was only crafted gear. Personally would still prefer no dropped gear. Rare items to put into crafted gear is 👍🏼

19 hours ago, oneply said:

Before dropped gear there was only crafted gear. Personally would still prefer no dropped gear. Rare items to put into crafted gear is 👍🏼

I like the idea of droped gear. But id like it to change to only that low tier stuff that drops in god reach rank 3 and 5 areas...cloth or whatever armor and the green/white versions of the starter weapons.

Just stuff that feels good enough u to hold new ppl over until crafters start selling gear. 

I think this would also help make green crafted gear (possibly whites for the REALLY REALLY new) worth using until new crafters get passives up for blues.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:52 AM, Imppen said:

One of my favourite things to do in MMORPG's since i started playing MMORPGs in 2003 is camping rare spawns [...]

I would aggree to the "rare loot from rare spawns" principle. I see opportunities for this in the game, I see the existing demand, and i see some solutions already existing, kind of. I also see issues.

The basic principle I see for the demand is the natural tendency towards bargain hunting: If I am clever/fast enough, I should be able to get an advantage. Nothing wrong with that. Some are stronger, some are more clever, some are more reckless, whatever ... let the game allow different people to find something they like especially. The more a game manages to do this, the more it will appeal to a bigger audience. Especially for a PvP MMORPG, that's something that allows for more opportunities ... more people.

What I, personally, don't like too much, is the "camping" aspect, though. I don't care if someone found a great place and decides to focus on it and use it once in a while. That's cool. Knowledge should pay out.
But I care about exploitation opportunities. There will always be exploitable content and people who exploit it. No question.  It just shouldn't be too easy.
We don't need another asia grinder. Companies make a lot money out of that, hiring cheap employees, doing nothing but log-in/loot/log-out/next -- and then selling to people who want to take the short road ... with only needing to take it, because most of their own opportunities have been blocked right by those grinders.
Things that may look like a good idea for us players, may turn around to something negative for us. All I am saying is ... we should be careful what we wish for.

Other legit principles I see are "get something special, by doing something special" and "providing the small people a chance to get something big". For both we already see basic approaches in the current playtest environment. Quite good ones, in my opinion.
The different NPC locations (even boar brushes) can, though not alway do, include a boss NPC. Those are meant to provide especially rare loot and can usually only be killed by a group. They also spawn much slower, as far as I have seen. So, if someone wants something special, just gather a hunting party and find a place where chief or ancient animal spawns from time to time. Won't be enough to just camp the position on your own, there will have work to be done. I am absolutely fine with that.

As for the other principle, slag ore, the lowest-level ore in game, is on itself only attractive to new players. Nearly nobody else uses it. But still, it can drop gutting grit and chaos embers -- very rare materials high-end crafters pay a lot for. Sell a few of them and all your new-player problems are past.
Looking at these last two points, I'd dare to argue that our developers are not only aware of these needs, but are also already working towards finding solutions. And, since there are already some solutions in game, not only since yesterday.

This said, one of the basic principles of crowfall is "risk vs. reward". You not only need to do something to earn something ... you better take some risk, if you really want to achieve something extraordinary. You may loose more. But you also may get more. Dare or die. ;)
I like this principle. It's the opposite of the exploitation principle (Which I would define as "Lower the risk while increasing the possible reward". That's a mindest that may help individuals to grow ... but not a society).

What I could imagine for Crowfall, though, regarding rare solo camp loot, would be things that are basically irrelevant regarding success in the game, but may have a special value for a specific clientele within the overall audience.

• A special flower that only grows at certain places and would be needed to craft a rare dye.
  • A rare crystal that can only be found in the ore of especially high mountains, needed as ingredients to craft crystal towers.
  • A lost tribe that will drop a specific head with a unique appearance you otherwise wouldnt be able to choose during character creation.

You get the idea. ;)

THIS I would LOVE to see ... next to improvements about the "get something special, by doing something special" and "providing the small people a chance to get something big" solutions. 

It would also be great to have special loot bosses (or even tribes) roving the country ... meaning: not being bound to a certain land parcel, but being able to pass them. So their positions wouldn't be definite.

I think it is important to make those suggestions, in case they need some work on the core system (which best should be done now rather than later - even if it pushes the launch away even more), but it's also something I don't really expect (and don't even want to have (because, even later launch)) on a short-term.

2W1ZHpA.jpg

6 hours ago, Kraahk said:

Text... ^

Hm. These rare spawns i'm thinking of from my experience from before wasn't a problem with "goldsellers" or "asia grinders". These goldsellers did things more profitable (like grinding). Simply because:

1. The spawn rate was too rare
2. And/Or The drop rate was too low

If there's a problem there's a solution, they can't be too valuable/common. Make the droprate for example 10% on a mob that spawns in 2h windows, that's an average of 1 drop in 20h, just as an example, simply not too common/valuable that it'd be a "shortcut" through your progress or economically too profitable (other than at most like a lottery win). I'm no expert in how you develop/make these MMORPG's but in this previous MMORPG there wasn't no problem with this, and they we're relatively popular. When players had nothing to do they could go out and look for these, instead of idling in a town. Or if you just wanna have some fun with a friend, go do some world pvp and maybe win on the lottery if you keep an eye out for these. IMO it'd just add more elements to the game. Also, it's not actually "rarer" than stumbling upon a random high quality item in any other RPG, it's just the actual mobs that are rare instead of the item, and depending on how common/rare the mob is, the item(s) droprate should be adjusted not to be too  common.

Here's some examples: https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Notorious_Monsters:_Level_Guide

(Ps. I'm too tired while writing this. Hope it's understandable. I'll read this post again tomorrow and maybe edit if needed within 24h. It's hard enough to express myself in english to explain what i actually want to say even when i'm 100% awake 😅)

Edited by Imppen