Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
manusdei

Feedback after a couple test sessions

Hello, a small feedback after a couple test sessions in the past days.

I played the game already at least a year ago.

I am aware this is still pre Alpha, so my criticism of mechanics and the like is to be taken with a (big) grain of salt 😀

I reached about level5 (or 6?) so did not see much yet, and I only played in God's Reach.

Now the game is much prettier, and the experience is much smoother.

I think we had the opportunity before to test random recipes to see if something happens, I couldn't find it again but I liked it at the time. It feels weird to have to use wood to craft a pickaxe, even a level3 one. Having to equip the right gathering tool each time I wish to gather something else is a bother, I hope we will be able to equip all gathering tools later on and just use the right one when prompted (like Guild Wars 2 does for example). 

I had trouble making the difference between things to gather with the pickaxe and the hammer, they all look like big lumps of stone, I can't understand why one would be gathered with a pickaxe and one with a hammer.

I found different stones (level1 and 3), they looked different enough that I know that I will differentiate them with time.

I found different trees, but even the level1 looked different from one another. By itself it's not a problem, what bothers me is that different kind of trees gave me different woods. Fir and oak are different kind of trees that should give different woods, I know it's a game but it bothered me enough that I write about it.

Combat does not give many options yet (remember, I'm not very high level) but feels ok.

The leveling once logged off is pretty cool, I barely used the skill trees yet but they look intelligently made (going from one skill to another made sense).

Still, despite all the bad points I wrote about I had fun and I'll keep playing 😁

The UI is mostly clear, but I have a bunch of things to sacrifice to the gods and I have no idea where, and couldn't find how to do it ingame.

8Xk1ctm.png

Replies in bold blue

On 12/8/2019 at 3:17 AM, manusdei said:

Hello, a small feedback after a couple test sessions in the past days.

I played the game already at least a year ago.

I am aware this is still pre Alpha, so my criticism of mechanics and the like is to be taken with a (big) grain of salt 😀

I reached about level5 (or 6?) so did not see much yet, and I only played in God's Reach.

Definitely need a lot more experience, Level 5 or 6 takes about 10 minutes if that. 

Now the game is much prettier, and the experience is much smoother.

Still a lot more optimization incoming. It should get even smoother from here on. 

I think we had the opportunity before to test random recipes to see if something happens, I couldn't find it again but I liked it at the time. It feels weird to have to use wood to craft a pickaxe, even a level3 one. Having to equip the right gathering tool each time I wish to gather something else is a bother, I hope we will be able to equip all gathering tools later on and just use the right one when prompted (like Guild Wars 2 does for example). 

We had potions that allowed us to hit experimentation/assembly caps on the different crafts. Don't expect these to make a return because ArtCraft wants to see how the full training/craft interaction works with the upcoming patch. 

Don't expect to ever be able to equip all your harvesting tools. Having to run out onto a campaign with multiple tools in your backpack and run the risk of losing those tools to another player is part of what Crowfall is. Things equipped are safe from being looted. 

I had trouble making the difference between things to gather with the pickaxe and the hammer, they all look like big lumps of stone, I can't understand why one would be gathered with a pickaxe and one with a hammer.I found different stones (level1 and 3), they looked different enough that I know that I will differentiate them with time.

Definitely learned in time, they are pretty easy to distinguish once you know that Stone (hammer) are square looking nodes and Ore (pickaxe) are less symmetrical. Though uncommon ore and stone does look very similar. Slag is pickaxe it will look like a white rock with black lines running through it. Cobblestone is a hammer, its pretty much every rock on the ground that isn't slag or an uncommon node. 

I found different trees, but even the level1 looked different from one another. By itself it's not a problem, what bothers me is that different kind of trees gave me different woods. Fir and oak are different kind of trees that should give different woods, I know it's a game but it bothered me enough that I write about it.

The different types of trees can be a bit deceptive especially since so many Knotwood trees have different appearance types. Just remember that actual uncommon tree's have a small glow around them. 

Combat does not give many options yet (remember, I'm not very high level) but feels ok.

You will gain a lot more diversity in your class and build as you gain more levels like any game. Crowfall also has major and minor disciplines and a talent system to further diversify and make your class feel unique. In the upcoming patch we will have more build diversity because of changes coming to the talent and passive systems. 

The leveling once logged off is pretty cool, I barely used the skill trees yet but they look intelligently made (going from one skill to another made sense).

While at first the passive training system does look enticing. You will soon come to realize that it is very time gated and won't allow you to accomplish certain things you might want to for a few months. Luckily ArtCraft has noticed the disparity between new and veteran players in terms of the passive training system and a revamp is coming in with the next patch. 

Still, despite all the bad points I wrote about I had fun and I'll keep playing 😁

Welcome to Crowfall, enjoy the game. It is definitely a great game with a ton of potential. The next patch should really bring in a lot of new and returning players to game. 

The UI is mostly clear, but I have a bunch of things to sacrifice to the gods and I have no idea where, and couldn't find how to do it ingame.

UI is being worked on quite a bit, they have shown off some new elements of the UI in recent live streams. The Sacrifice Fire is in the center of the Temple area, you have to run past the spiders on the God Reach initial area and through the first portal. Just be aware that the sacrifice fire doesn't take into account over sacrificing items. So if you are 500 EXP to the next level and you sacrifice 700EXP worth of items the extra 200 does not get applied to the next level. 

Edited by Vunak

It needs 10 minutes to reach level 5-6 if you know what you are doing and you powerlevel (of sorts), if you don't know and just try stuff and wander it takes a couple hours :)

8Xk1ctm.png

On 12/12/2019 at 4:06 AM, manusdei said:

It needs 10 minutes to reach level 5-6 if you know what you are doing.

True. If you spawn a white vessel in the cave, grab an axe from the chests, harvest some trees, make a hammer, harvest some stone, make a real weapon & then go slaughter spiders, you'll be lv5 with an inventory full of sac items that'll get you to around lv8 10-15 minutes from when you 1st spawned.

If you spend time figuring it all out, harvesting, crafting, talents, attributes, abilities, & realizing what that bright light in the sky is, you could be on noobie island for a good long while.

Ace is not focused on the new player experience yet. They've given us the tools to get through it, but a tutorial to carry you through the process won't come until after the core game design is complete.

No point creating a tutorial for something that is not finished, when you know you'll just have to redo it later, or worse, continuously sink time into keeping it from becoming obsolete.

Edited by VaMei

Loving this game so far. super excited to see this come together and develop. A few things worth noting; tanky or sustain characters could really benefit from a taunt whether passive or active. I'm playing a confessor and my fiancé is a cleric but we have also tried a few other classes between us both. The issue we are finding is that even if he initiates combat the second I deal any sort of non basic damage I am immediately hard targeted. We have watched many early game play throughs and commentaries on the game before investing, one mentioned a problem with characters having too many activated buffs and not enough true activated spells. I find this to be both true and also false at the same time. the character you choose absolutely affects this though a lot of them do have a disproportionate buff to spell ratio in my opinion. this being said let me just say the mfing CRAFTING! can we all please just stop to praise the amazing execution of the entire crafting system to this point. im sure I will have hard opposition some where on this but jeeez do I LOVE it! skyrim and eso are some of my all time favorite games and I believe this system for crafting blows those out of the water. the availability of materials is even and doesn't lean on too easy or too hard to find or gather. the fact that the crafting talents are immediately available with out combat opens the game up to an entire group of gamers who many times go overlooked. the idea of needing recipes or talent points to craft is not new but the implementation itself is really great especially at this stage of the game.

I'm bouncing around a bit but the enemies right now do have a lot of bugs and they do seem to be able to engage from an incredible distance which is mildly annoying but nothing that cant be adjusted to. a tutorial will really help since some of the system styles are very different from other games. the skill leveling and basic character leveling really light a fire for me though. the ability to use skill points to customize you abilities while also being able to use attributes leaves so much room for customization and character building its hard for me to imagine any one out there not being able to play in a way they can enjoy and that works for them.

things im looking forward to seeing: MOUNTS- we invested in one of the larger game packages and I can not wait to see all the items that come with it in game. I'm unsure if this is the final art style that is planned or if its just the rough draft but I'm super excited to see what the mounts and future characters come together regardless. im also looking forward to trying out the pvp which we still haven't quite made it to.

with all that in mind and fully understanding that this is a pvp based thrown war game it would seem that a pve focused threat mechanic would work in favor of the player.

thanks so much to all the creative minds behind this game and the players who started and have continued the community and best wishes and continued support to the game as it grows.