Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New player path...

Soulstitch

So what is the like basic path for new people? Like... from my very limited understanding we get to 30... then get another vessel? then gear that out, then get another vessel? Should we get to 30 on a white vessel, then work on getting runic gear, or getting a vessel then gearing that out? 

I'm very... lost at this point what I'm supposed to do to improve my character. 

The default common (white) quality vessel and God's Reach in general are there to help you decide what class is best suited for you.  By the time you've hit level 30, you should have learned enough about your class to know if it's something you want to play in the real campaigns.  If it's not, then choose another and see if you like it better.  They made common vessels easy to level and cheap to outfit with runes so you can try a lot of class, race, and rune combinations in a relatively short period of time.

Once you've settled on your main class, then move on to improving it with a rare (blue) quality vessel and better gear.  You don't really need to make and maintain any more vessels past this point unless you want to play multiple combat roles, want to specialize further in crafting or harvesting, or you've come up with an idea for a new class/race/rune combo that you'd like to try out.

I also highly recommend you find a guild to join, if you haven't already.  The active guilds have plenty of veteran players to help you acquire high quality vessels, upgrade your gear, and learn the game's more complex systems.  

1 hour ago, Soulstitch said:

So what is the like basic path for new people? Like... from my very limited understanding we get to 30... then get another vessel? then gear that out, then get another vessel? Should we get to 30 on a white vessel, then work on getting runic gear, or getting a vessel then gearing that out? 

White vessels can be your harvesting toon as well until you can upgrade.  Your passives should be combat and a harvesting type (one that fits with guild/group needs) if you are going with a single account.   It's all gear at that point (vessels are gear)…  Non harvesters crafters and single accounts just grind gold from high level mobs for days and days to pay a crafter for pre made gear (you can also get all your discs and some vessel additives grinding.)   Don't go too heavy in 5.10, most of the player base will not return until 5.110 in February and then there will be lots of people willing to trade, sell, etc.   The dregs rules will change the economy as eliminating factions will make the world a lot more dangerous but the markets a lot more profitable...    get in a good guild for that.   Expecting the 3 faction campaign in 5.110 to be pretty dead compared to the Dregs.  Like Hyriol mentioned, its a good time to kind of learn what race-class-talent scheme fits your playstyle as a base to work from.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

10 hours ago, Ble said:

The only path is to join a decent guild in your faction.

You do realize this will change and there will have to be a solo or tiny guild path. Currently I agree that without any marketplace or playerbase the only path is joining a decent guild. 5.110 will tell the tale.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:50 PM, Soulstitch said:

Start by experimenting with different classes and find one or two you really like.  Then, figure out the spec you like (the branching part of the talent tree) that fills a role you enjoy be it DPS, healing, tank, or utility/CC.  Then, experiment with different disciplines to define your build by shoring up where your class is weak or exploiting strengths, and find out how you want to specialize that character to maximize your spec's role or expand/hybridize/specialize it.  Next, you'll want to try and get a set or two of decent blue or purple wartribe gear unless you can luck out and trade for something really good with an established crafter.

Joining a guild is your best bet ultimately, this is a player driven game and likely will never be all that solo friendly.  Well crafted gear, good vessels, and runic weapons are expensive propositions and gold isn't very valuable at this time, so until the game is further along its dev cycle there won't be much economy to engage with unfortunately so it'll be quite difficult to get really good crafted gear without a guild.  A solid blue/purple wartribe set will get you started, though, and since vessels are a bit easier to make than gear you could feasibly upgrade into a blue, plenty of us necromancers offer our services for modest fees depending on what resources you can provide us.

On 12/18/2019 at 6:32 PM, mystafyi said:

You do realize this will change and there will have to be a solo or tiny guild path. Currently I agree that without any marketplace or playerbase the only path is joining a decent guild. 5.110 will tell the tale.

Well the path seems to be Find the class you like > get a vessel > get max vessel > equip vessel. 

That might seem like the path from the perspective of a new person, but in fact, that gains you nothing.

Find a class you like, yes.  Then get a vessel, max vessel, equip - all good things, but the most important part of this phase is knowing that you cannot do this yourself.  Get a guild.  While it's technically possible you could make your own stuff, the stuff you'd make is complete trash.  The pain you'd go through to even get blue materials (untrained) would be like a root canal.  Get a guild.  Then, even if you farmed gold or chaos embers or some manner of currency and managed to get a guy who you hope is not horrible at crafting to make you some stuff, what then?  You can do nothing by yourself except walk around.  Get a guild.

Sad truth is, without a guild you cannot even begin to actually experience this game.  The only good part about this game is Siege time and that hour is 100% effectuated by guilds.  Get one.

Edited by Ble

1 hour ago, Ble said:

without a guild you cannot even begin to actually experience this game.  The only good part about this game is Siege time and that hour is 100% effectuated by guilds.  Get one.

I think there are many good parts to the game beyond siege, but the conclusion is still valid.

Without a guild, even if you can effectively gear up on your own or through the marketplace, you will be a bystander in the broader game and will be left with little more than farming loot & materials for no apparent reason.

2 hours ago, Ble said:

Sad truth is, without a guild you cannot even begin to actually experience this game.  The only good part about this game is Siege time and that hour is 100% effectuated by guilds.  Get one.

In your opinion. That's not true for everyone. Some people view the rest of the game as more than just a means to an end.

Blue resources are easy to obtain without training in the spring and summer. Rank 8+ nodes @ 3+ plentiful will give you a decent amount. 

Yes, guilds are important in this game and there are things that players won't be able to do without them, like city building. They aren't really necessary for sieges in faction based campaigns. Once dregs hits and most of the large guilds move there, the faction based campaigns will be made up of smaller guilds and solo players.

The biggest hurdle for new players is the learning curve. They don't know what they can do in the game, nor do they know the best way to achieve anything. That should hopefully improve in the future as they continue to work on the NPE. The divine favor system should help, as it will give players clear objectives that they can accomplish without needing a guild.

5 hours ago, Arkade said:

Once dregs hits and most of the large guilds move there, the faction based campaigns will be made up of smaller guilds and solo players.

I disagree. Once dregs hits the rest of the worlds will be empty. If small guilds and solo are not viable in dregs then the game will close faster then wildstar.

5 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

I disagree. Once dregs hits the rest of the worlds will be empty. If small guilds and solo are not viable in dregs then the game will close faster then wildstar.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "viable." There is no way a solo player is winning a Dregs campaign. He could probably kill some people, though. And for some people, that is fun.

IhhQKY6.gif

14 hours ago, mystafyi said:

When the Dregs are added in February, yes, the faction-based campaigns will be pretty empty. That's just a natural result of people wanting to test the new content. When the game actually launches and the populations are higher, there will be people playing in both. 

On 12/21/2019 at 8:31 AM, Arkade said:

When the Dregs are added in February, yes, the faction-based campaigns will be pretty empty. That's just a natural result of people wanting to test the new content. When the game actually launches and the populations are higher, there will be people playing in both. 

If even a 10th of their pending invites become consistent players, both Dregs and Faction will be busy.  I imagine plenty of people will start in faction, in fact, and it certainly will be a good place to go for newer players, newer guilds, and solo players.