Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kim-lee

When and how will Passive Catch-Up mechanics come?

Catch-Up mechanics implementation  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How should Catch-Up mechanics be implemented?

• everyone should be able to bypass timegating
    • only new players should be able to bypass timegating
    • timegating should be dropped completely
    • passive should be increased by active gameplay
    • something else

as some of you may have noticed, I don't like the idea of time gating/passive-skilling.

However there was stated several times that there will be a catch-up mechanic.

This at least sounds kind of promising. But I couldn't find any information, when and how it will be implemented, so I wonder how you would like to implement it?

(my solution would still be to drop time-gating completely)

Edited by kim-lee

The Skill Tome catch-up mechanic for new players was first discussed in a livestream (and subsequent discussion).  The short version is that existing players could convert their excess passive training into an item that can be traded and consumed by a new player.  As for when, JTodd said it would be post-launch feature: 

"While Time Bank is scheduled (and necessary IMO) for launch, the Tome functionality will be added some time later (my guess is at least a few months later, but we will see where it falls out.  There is a lot of schedule changing that will happen between now and then).

Bear in mind, this was more than two years ago, so designs and timelines for the idea might have changed.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:58 AM, kim-lee said:

This at least sounds kind of promising. But I couldn't find any information, when and how it will be implemented, so I wonder how you would like to implement it?

Its really not worth the time or effort to work on catch-up mechanic details before the underlying system is finished. Since they have brought up this mechanic, the skill tree's themselves have been totally changed, not once but twice. I am quite sure a third major change will come with 5.110. I would hope final game design would be such that no 'catch-up mechanic would be needed outside of outliers. 

18 hours ago, APE said:

Catch up mechanic will be an item you purchase in the store. You can buy catch up for a day, week, month, year. Prices still being worked out. /s :D

You show sarcasm, but that exactly what will be. 

18 hours ago, APE said:

Catch up mechanic will be an item you purchase in the store. You can buy catch up for a day, week, month, year. Prices still being worked out. /s :D

Back when VIP was $15/month and gave you extra training points this might've made sense.

If a month of VIP is 150,000 training points for example then you'd be able to buy training points for $1 = 10,000 training points. 

I think because this form of VIP was ripped out it'll be some kind of active way to catch up. Todd even mentioned gold as a catch up mechanic in a stream a few months back. Bottom line is that this isn't something they need until after launch. 

I do however wish they'd wipe more often in the alpha/beta stages so the training gap between players who follow the game and those who just pop in from time to time doesn't get too wide when there is no catch up mechanic. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

8 hours ago, mystafyi said:

You show sarcasm, but that exactly what will be. 

Ya interested to see what VIP and the store end up like. They need to make money and game sales a lone aren't going to cut it for the long term. If they did offer some sort of boost/catch up in the store, I wouldn't care as long as someone couldn't train past what is capable for a day 1 player. Any need for a catch up has always seemed like a faulty system to me though.

7 hours ago, blazzen said:

Back when VIP was $15/month and gave you extra training points this might've made sense.

If a month of VIP is 150,000 training points for example then you'd be able to buy training points for $1 = 10,000 training points. 

I think because this form of VIP was ripped out it'll be some kind of active way to catch up. Todd even mentioned gold as a catch up mechanic in a stream a few months back. Bottom line is that this isn't something they need until after launch. 

I do however wish they'd wipe more often in the alpha/beta stages so the training gap between players who follow the game and those who just pop in from time to time doesn't get too wide when there is no catch up mechanic. 

It will be needed after launch, but how soon?

Can see people upset and annoyed with being behind during a pre-alpha. Doubt that will decrease come launch when people are playing for real.

Players that come after launch will have to accept that they can't progress in particular areas due to time gating and that they are behind the curve because of their start date. Beyond EVE, not sure this has been done before and besides that, EVE and Crowfall have a lot more difference than similarities. Getting new blood to accept this design might be tricky.

Beyond limited resources to get it done, I hope they at least have a catch up mechanic planned out. What was joked about being a "future dev" problem years ago is soon becoming a "now dev" problem. Many games have suffered due to this type of planning.

If it ends up being something offered in the store, paid with gold, or actively solved, still believe it cheapens passive training and makes it more of a speed bump for those that come earlier and not really adding much to the overall game experience.

Curious to see what the final training speed will be. Hoping we see a relatively slow progression of crafting/harvesting that catch up is less of an issue. 

It could be a gold sink or an active system or whatever -  the important part is to keep the skill point cap so that it only helps new players joining the game after launch (and doesn't become a grind-to-win or pay-to-win situation for veterans).

tiPrpwh.png