Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/24/15 - Kickstarter Is Now Live! & More

Crowfall is at 648K/800K already, it looks like the goal is going to be reached without a doubt.

The next important part is going to be the funding after the Kickstarter phase.

Edited by timetraveler

So, you are 'selling' Alpha and Beta testing.

Instant turn off for me.  Maybe you know better than me - but I honestly don't think 'selling' testing slots to paying customers helps either you, or them to deliver the best product.  But that's my opinion, you obviously don't agree and it's done now.

And nothing on world sizes or travel that I can find yet? 

IMHO these things will be critical to the success (or failure) of the project.

By that I mean that if world sizes are too small (it doesn't take long enough to travel around a world) then there is a huge potential for another 'PvP gankfest' game. 

My other concern is that the guilds will 'Meta-game' in every realm, regardless of rule set.

These two things alone could destroy the game... and honestly... with paying customers as testers... it's not something you are likely to see properly tested and find out about until the game goes live (IMHO again)

So, I will sit back and watch.  Good luck with the project.  Looks like this and Camelot Unchained will directly compete too.  So double good luck. 

So, you are 'selling' Alpha and Beta testing.

Instant turn off for me.  Maybe you know better than me - but I honestly don't think 'selling' testing slots to paying customers helps either you, or them to deliver the best product.  But that's my opinion, you obviously don't agree and it's done now.

Come on. It's standard practice with kickstarter. And yes, it's done.

And nothing on world sizes or travel that I can find yet? 

IMHO these things will be critical to the success (or failure) of the project.

By that I mean that if world sizes are too small (it doesn't take long enough to travel around a world) then there is a huge potential for another 'PvP gankfest' game. 

These two are concern indeed. Actually I think along same lines. World size indeed crucial to whether it is 'gankfest' or not.

My other concern is that the guilds will 'Meta-game' in every realm, regardless of rule set.

Do you know any way to stop it? Because I am sure as hell don't. Actually while 'FFA PvP' ruleset in Dregs there is nothing to stop people from teaming up. Will be almost the same 'guild wars'. But what can you do, right?

These two things alone could destroy the game... and honestly... with paying customers as testers... it's not something you are likely to see properly tested and find out about until the game goes live (IMHO again)

Wouldn't go that far. 'Destroy'... And who said that only testers will be paying customers? People being able to play Alpha doesn't mean absence of pro testers. They will be in the same game, that's all. Some playing. Others working. Don't see a problem here.

So, I will sit back and watch.  Good luck with the project.  Looks like this and Camelot Unchained will directly compete too.  So double good luck. 

Yeah, they've been waiting for your blessing, I am sure of it. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity. :) No offense intended.

And arrival of 'Crowfall' doesn't make 'Camelot Unchained' any less interesting. Though I am not so sure about direct competition. Being out of the loop with CU for some time.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Come on. It's standard practice with kickstarter. And yes, it's done.

Do you know any way to stop it? Because I am sure as hell don't. Actually while 'FFA PvP' ruleset in Dregs there is nothing to stop people from teaming up. Will be almost the same 'guild wars'. But what can you do, right?

Yes, selling Alpha and Beta and early access has become standard practice in Kickstarter.  A bad standard practice - and IMHO many games reflect that.

As for what to do about Guilds Meta Gaming.  Yes, it's a difficult problem... but I think it can be solved.  At the heart of the problem is to give players something that appeals to them more than their guilds (in worlds other than those with guild vs guild rule sets) ... and provide a means that prevents their guilds taking punitive action.  I can think of a few ways that might be done. 

Yes, selling Alpha and Beta and early access has become standard practice in Kickstarter.  A bad standard practice - and IMHO many games reflect that.

I don't agree. There are problems with games that had no kickstarter whatsoever and still turned out technical mess. It's just how things are lately sometimes, has nothing to do with people participating in alphas and betas of their chosen games, IMHO. Me - I like the opportunity to jump in to game of my preference before it released. Usually it's about MMORPGs, single-player game alphas/betas rarely interest me.

And if you mean that people sell alpha/beta access that's not always the case (Pathfinder really disappointed me, mostly because I just couldn't spend that much at the moment (: ). Some do, yes. But in case of Crowfall alpha/beta it's just part of package. Look at pledges. They provide so much more than just an opportunity to participate in alpha/beta.

As for what to do about Guilds Meta Gaming.  Yes, it's a difficult problem... but I think it can be solved.  At the heart of the problem is to give players something that appeals to them more than their guilds (in worlds other than those with guild vs guild rule sets) ... and provide a means that prevents their guilds taking punitive action.  I can think of a few ways that might be done. 

Interesting. Do you have any particular suggestions? I'd like to hear them, if you don't mind.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Cmon man, use some exclamation points or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :3

Absence of any emotion indicates my steel belief in ArtCraft's vision and total confidence that game will be funded before it happened.

:P:D :D :D

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Interesting. Do you have any particular suggestions? I'd like to hear them, if you don't mind.

No, sorry.  I am designing my own (Browser based) MMO.  It's a simple thing - but it uses my idea.  If it works - it's worth money.  If I give too many ideas here I am giving the idea to Artcraft.

It may not work.  But if it does I want it to work in my game - not someone elses.

Edited by gyrus

No, sorry.  I am designing my own (Browser based) MMO.  It's a simple thing - but it uses my idea.  If it works - it's worth money.  If I give too many ideas here I am giving the idea to Artcraft.

It may not work.  But if it does I want it to work in my game - not someone elses.

Of course. I was just curious, is all.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

I'm very encouraged by this game. Look at finances to see if 1000$ for kickstarter is reasonable.

(Of course it's not... but I want it!!!)

lol! I'm gonna start a kickstarter to fund my own donation to crowfalls kickstarter!

Kickstarter-ception!