Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yianni

All I want for Christmas is...

11 hours ago, Staff said:

all i want for christmas are the stormcaller buffs and changes outlined in my stormcaller post

scim druid used to be a beast back in the day. i could easily take on 2 or 3 people... plus woodelf female plate is best looking armor ... rip those graphics

Edited by yianni

I believe during the last Q&A they said they wouldn't be testing pieces of the update individually, but have they mentioned the entire update going on Test prior to Live?

With their "by the end of Feb" timeline, a good month or two on Test would probably be wise before doing whatever marketing push that will likely come with it going on Live.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:28 PM, yianni said:

5.110 on test.

@jtoddcoleman

I'd settle for a few blogs on the changes with some meat on the bone for us to chew on. The last few Q&As have been big on hype for what's coming, but painfully short on details.

Edited by VaMei

16 minutes ago, VaMei said:

I'd settle for a few blogs on the changes with some meat on the bone for us to chew on. The last few Q&As have been big on hype for what's coming, but painfully short on details.

i'd take that as well

Blogs I'd love to see, even if it's just preliminary:

Bloodlines: we know the racial bloodlines have had a pass, but what is actually changed?

Discipline changes: we know more disciplines have been tossed on the fire. Are new ones available to fill the gaps?

Talent tree review: different talents are supposed to have different point costs, but how many points for what? Are the talents & trees altered as well?

Frostweaver: class overview, promotion overview, abilities, talents and tree.

Dregs gameplay: we each know what dregs means to ourselves, but what will it actually be? Too many unknowns to even know what the high points are. Victory conditions? Sovereignty? Building options? Alliances? Submission?

Caravans: again I know what I think it'll be, but let's get the real story. Why, what & how?

Edited by VaMei

On 12/24/2019 at 1:34 PM, APE said:

I believe during the last Q&A they said they wouldn't be testing pieces of the update individually, but have they mentioned the entire update going on Test prior to Live?

With their "by the end of Feb" timeline, a good month or two on Test would probably be wise before doing whatever marketing push that will likely come with it going on Live.

I am pretty sure jtodd indicated that it was unlikely anything made it to test. I don't see why they would even push it to test, just wipe and go. Future changes would then hit test before being pushed to live. 

1 hour ago, mystafyi said:

I am pretty sure jtodd indicated that it was unlikely anything made it to test. I don't see why they would even push it to test, just wipe and go. Future changes would then hit test before being pushed to live. 

I think JTC was saying we won't get parts of 5.110 on Test individually. It will be one big patch. I expect it will hit Test before Live though.

IhhQKY6.gif

2 hours ago, mystafyi said:

Hopefully they've had some decent 3rd party testing, but we have plenty of examples of updates dropping and not going smoothly, which is expected. However, if they plan on doing any sort of marketing push for new/returning players, having them log into a buggy mess would probably not be the best choice. Especially if such issues could be caught/fixed with a week or two of testing and fixing. If it is expected the same rag tag tiny community will make up the majority of testers next update, then guess it isn't a big deal.

Future changes could come to live just as easily, which makes a test server of a game in development some what pointless. Seems like it has been to pre-test for significant issues prior to more extensive play testing. If this update is as large as they are alluding too, I will be shocked if it runs better then past smaller ones. Maybe they could do away with Test completely and just update the live server with changes. Less servers the better IMO.

Guess we'll find out in a month or two (or year).

2 hours ago, Jah said:

I expect it will hit Test before Live though.

Seems like a waste of manpower in this instance. Unless they want to market this iteration, I just don't see why. Test hasn't been used in ages and current live iteration is dead end with an impending full wipe. What would be the gain?

6 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

What would be the gain?

There are still a fair number of players playing on live, and new players showing up all the time. If 5.110 is a hot mess we can still play on live while the bugs are worked out on test. Kill live and those new players are not going to be around long, and other among us will drift away.

Edited by VaMei

1 hour ago, APE said:

Hopefully they've had some decent 3rd party testing, but we have plenty of examples of updates dropping and not going smoothly

It doesn't feel like the 3rd party is actually playtesting, just code testing specific tasks and reporting back. If that's what's happening, they won't test code they weren't tasked with, let alone actually play the game & report on interaction issues & unexpected bugs.

3 minutes ago, VaMei said:

There are still a fair number of players playing on live, and new players showing up all the time. If 5.110 is a hot mess we can still play on live while the bugs are worked out on test. Kill live and those new players are not going to be around long, and other among us will drift away.

Its a full wipe for live and change of game anyways. It still a pre-release and bugs and other problems are expected. Heck, live mmo's have had terrible patch's. I remember roll-backs, multiple patches during the day, outages that last for days during patches in some mmo's. 

3 hours ago, mystafyi said:

Seems like a waste of manpower in this instance. Unless they want to market this iteration, I just don't see why. Test hasn't been used in ages and current live iteration is dead end with an impending full wipe. What would be the gain?

It will look better for them if the launch of the next phase goes smoothly. It seems to me they do want to get some attention and returning players with this milestone. I don't think putting the build on Test before Live is all that expensive, and it could lead to a more successful launch of the much-anticipated Dregs ruleset.

IhhQKY6.gif

12 hours ago, mystafyi said:

Its a full wipe for live and change of game anyways. It still a pre-release and bugs and other problems are expected. Heck, live mmo's have had terrible patch's. I remember roll-backs, multiple patches during the day, outages that last for days during patches in some mmo's. 

Do you remember those roll backs and outages fondly and a great use of time?

Don't see any con to putting the next update on Test even for a brief period. Could easily send out an email blast that it is on Test for all those wanting to give it a try before it goes Live. Which might actually bring the population up. If it is good/bad then ACE could move forward and Live would be better for it.

That's what I'd do anyway, but this entire development process hasn't made the most sense to me. Seems like a lot of resources have been wasted maintaining multiple versions (Live, Test, In-house, 3rd party). I'd log in to Test day 1 but if they just go with Live then I'll give it a bit to avoid wasting my time.

Looking to come back in Feb after the big patch.  Has there been any word about whether it will be accompanied by a full wipe?   trying to decide if it's worth it to keep logging in for training purposes before that.