Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RealSalt

Game making my computer run OUTRAGESOULY hot??

So I just got a brand new laptop. Specs are as follows:

• 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-9300H
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit English
  • NVIDIA® GeForce GTX® 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6
  • 8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4 2666MHz

As far as I understand it, this should be plenty to run the game and then some. And to be fair, it is and it does. However, the game throws my fan into hardcore overdrive and my temps shoot through the roof. I have the system sitting on a lap desk with additional fans.

I'm talking going from 50c to 75c within about 15-20 minutes of playing. Within 10 minutes of turning it off, the computer is back down to baseline.

Is this just due to poor optimization? Will this be addressed? I'm very confused why this game is taxing my system as severely as it is.

Edited by RealSalt

10 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

75c under load seems quite normal for those components in a laptop.

I suppose I was alarmed with how fast it reached up to temp and assumed it'd keep rising, I'll let it play for a couple hours and see how she holds up.

If it eases your concerns a little, my laptop in Crowfall sits around 64c - 68c for cpu temps, 55c - 60c gpu.  Pretty toasty but not out of line.

Specs:  i7 7700k, gtx 1080 not max q.

I do override fans to max before even launching CF.  That seems to prevent the starting temp spike and keeps things steady state at the temps above.

PFq3vWQ.png

On 12/30/2019 at 3:05 AM, RealSalt said:

I'm talking going from 50c to 75c within about 15-20 minutes of playing. Within 10 minutes of turning it off, the computer is back down to baseline.

75C for gaming laptop under load is fine, your CPU can go all the way to 100C before shutting down/thermal throttling. Make sure that fan policy is reasonable for what you are doing. Some laptop companies will prioritise quieter fans even in gaming laptop and only start heavy cooling when temperature is high. You usually can change it in laptop tweak utility which comes with the laptop.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:05 AM, RealSalt said:

Is this just due to poor optimization? Will this be addressed? I'm very confused why this game is taxing my system as severely as it is.

It is not the game issue, because any MMO will be CPU hungry. What you can do is enable V-sync to match your monitor rate and see if it helps. Even on my mid-range laptop, I could run 3 Crowfall clients by limiting FPS to 30.

Edit: I noticed you have 8Gb RAM with Windows 10 on it. Depending on what you and your laptop firm installed to your OS, you OS will take 2.5-4GB RAM just for running and CF can take up to 8 GB in memory if you travel across the zone. Which means your laptop won't have enough memory to run the game resulting in memory swapping pages between RAM and SSD. And that process is handled by CPU, which just increases load on CPU. If such thing happens I advice to add enough 8GB to your laptop.

Edited by ComradeAma
RAM

whats FPS capped at?  This game cannot even touch my system and its less than yours.... oh wait, 8gb ram.  Possibly a problem?  I thought I was a tech laggard with my 16.

I have run 4 of iterations of this game at one time without too much trouble.  I think @lordslime has ran 11 iterations of this game at one time with his 96gbs ram lol.

Edited by Ble