Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bilbo baggins

What do you want from the storyline/world history?

They did say that the characters would make the history, but it does seem there is also a storyline/world history, but it probably will go around PvP... I want something that really brings the world to life, but still has something going around our characters. I haven't played Shadowbane, so I would not be totally sure (I know that its more of a PvP game Wizard101 has one that is pretty reliant on the spiral (which is great), and Pirate101 has a really great storyline, that surrounds both the character and the world. It talks about the Armada, but every decision the character makes hurts. SPOILERS in the storyline, our players create a war for our own purposes, which will ultimately hurt us. Our characters have lost our parents and have given up our memories of them when we went to the three fates to get information. The person who wrote the storyline confirmed that this will come back again. SPOILERS END

I kind am wanting something that will give our characters a story and a reason, but also makes a new world. I mean if our characters have grown up and are in this world, we should know something about it. I've played other MMOs too, and they're some really good MMOs. I only really play games with lore and I do like PvP still, but I'd rather read one of Tolkien's books then having to repeatedly to do the same thing in combat. I'm not a gamer that would know everything, I can be hardcore if I want to be... you just got to give me a game that I like, and I know this might not be it, but I still have my hopes. I'm okay if we make up all our actions in the game's present time, but I think it should be life-changing, and those things.

I have to agree,...I would love a game where you can actually change the story plot depending on what you do instead of just answering: sure can do to every last person the earth. I would like a game where you have a lot of control over the story...

I'm hoping that the quests allow for a kind of alignment choosing similar to what was in SWTOR, where how you choose to complete your quest would lead you down a path to darkness or to light. I want to forge my own storyline rather than have to follow a pre-built one that everyone experiences exactly the same.

lopuda47ee7.jpg

I'm hoping that the quests allow for a kind of alignment choosing similar to what was in SWTOR, where how you choose to complete your quest would lead you down a path to darkness or to light. I want to forge my own storyline rather than have to follow a pre-built one that everyone experiences exactly the same.

Gawd. Storylines and SWTOR are two words which should be avoided from use in the same post.

Established Lore does not need a storyline. It just needs imagination to put yourself into the story and you can fill in all the blanks.

If you need someone to write your story for you, where is the fun in that? Might as well read a book.

Alignments need more than Light and Dark. As a former DnD PnP player, am down with alignments. Just like to see more options as not everything is so cut and dry, black and white.

I do agree though on your last comment. Being able to forge your own storyline. I want personal ownership of where my character stands and how in the gaming world it inhabits.

It is general with a game (if you are sane) that when you have enough of something with that game you stop doing it and when you have enough of everything can be done in the game you either move on or go and do something else. There are different reason to participate.

For me that reason is story and I am with you: I'd rather read or watch a good story than 'shut up and grind'. Levels and new gear does not fool me, so I rarely busy with treadmill. I can think of this:

1. Story should be inspiring. Please, make story alive enough for a player to want participation in one. It's not easy, I know.

2. Story should evolve. No static lore unless it is history. And even that... twist history sometimes. Maybe through gameplay someone finds old archives, where some obvious and well-known piece of history becomes something else entirely. Advisor did not poison the king, he was slain by a certain type of spell. Entirely another party were responsible for assassination.

3. Make story reasonable. It should make sense.

4. Let players be part of lore. It is best thing, it's just priceless. Do it.

Edited by rolan storm

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Gawd. Storylines and SWTOR are two words which should be avoided from use in the same post.

Established Lore does not need a storyline. It just needs imagination to put yourself into the story and you can fill in all the blanks.

If you need someone to write your story for you, where is the fun in that? Might as well read a book.

Alignments need more than Light and Dark. As a former DnD PnP player, am down with alignments. Just like to see more options as not everything is so cut and dry, black and white.

I do agree though on your last comment. Being able to forge your own storyline. I want personal ownership of where my character stands and how in the gaming world it inhabits.

I did not mean to establish the perception that those could be the ONLY alignments possible; I was just using an example. The problem with having them completely unwritten for you is that you'll find people's stories often clash with each other and make trying to do quests together almost impossible (depending on the context of what you mean by forging your own story). That was one of the problems in ESO, you'd randomly find yourself unable to fight with your party when you couldn't see the same enemies because you'd made different choices previously.

lopuda47ee7.jpg

I did not mean to establish the perception that those could be the ONLY alignments possible; I was just using an example. The problem with having them completely unwritten for you is that you'll find people's stories often clash with each other and make trying to do quests together almost impossible (depending on the context of what you mean by forging your own story). That was one of the problems in ESO, you'd randomly find yourself unable to fight with your party when you couldn't see the same enemies because you'd made different choices previously.

Thanks for the further explanation. Was writing some thoughts to share when you just posted this so am going to add them under this:

If SWTOR spent as much time and money making an immersive gaming open world gaming environment as it did on making storylines... well, I would still be playing it and not here posting.

Kinda sickened on the need for hand-holding and spoon-feeding going on in the MMO genre but that is just my feelings as a jaded and tired gamer.

I just hope Crowfall steps away from the bland crowd and gives us all something different... and better.

So far, I got faith and trust that it will.

Thanks for the further explanation. Was writing some thoughts to share when you just posted this so am going to add them under this:

If SWTOR spent as much time and money making an immersive gaming open world gaming environment as it did on making storylines... well, I would still be playing it and not here posting.

Kinda sickened on the need for hand-holding and spoon-feeding going on in the MMO genre but that is just my feelings as a jaded and tired gamer.

I just hope Crowfall steps away from the bland crowd and gives us all something different... and better.

So far, I got faith and trust that it will.

I think that's all we can really do for now at least. In 45 days we'll know more and can evaluate the situation with a lot less speculation. ;-)

lopuda47ee7.jpg

if it's not going to be designed as factional, lore and storyline doesn't matter 

However, if it is going to be factional, It needs a compelling backdrop to define it.

One of the things I really liked about WOW is the fact that you cannot communicate between factions.  I actually think that would be a great idea.

I think we can all agree that we, as players, want to impact the world's story on a meaningful level.  A lot of games choose a faction system for that purpose so that npc's respond to you differently and new things are available for purchase as you make choices within the storyline. 

Maybe you decided to side with the assassins in a particular story event and the victim faction finds out and bars you from their territory?  An extreme measure for sure, but perhaps it will inspire an idea in someone.

Lore is great as a backdrop or foundation of a games concept and can be extremely entertaining and immersive, however..... If it leads....to...FACTIONS, I will gouge out my own eyes!.

I am intrigued by the consequence of a faction based system, though I understand it would take some balancing. 

If level cap is 80 per se, maybe you have to declare a faction allegiance by 60.  On character creation it could give you a list of factions the particular race was eligible for.  Human for example, might be eligible for any faction.  Anyways, there are a lot of opportunities to lend diversity to gameplay

.I also am a fan of the "fog of war" effect of limiting world chat between factions.  This would greatly reduce global spam as well.

No factions. I don't want Horde v Alliance. For that matter I don't want Albion v Midgard v Hibernia. Let individual Guilds be the factions. I want individual ownership, not fighting over strategically placed keeps of battlegrounds as conflict points. Now if there was a way to have multiple Factions (more than two or three) and open free placement and ownership of cities and seiging, i could be open to that suggestion.

What I'd like to see from the "lore" is gaps.  I probably got the idea from reading many posts in this forum (Speculation is so fun, it is going to be a shame once the game is "revealed", no more speculating).

Gaps

If the game supplies enough lore for us to build on, but still leaves room for players to add their own "made up lore" I can see myself playing around with it.

An example of gaps could be a goblin camp, the NPCs complain about Goblins and are scared about their houses being terrorized by these imps, but they don't mention anything about someone taking care of the problem.  The goblins the NPCs talk about are actual mobs who terrorize the NPCs and also attack players who pass by.  It would be up to the players if a group decides to "clean the area of these goblins", once they do so, the goblin population becomes contained in a smaller region which players can easily avoid.

We only need a small amount to start out with, we can have a lot of lore, but we can easily leaves gaps in it where players can "write our own story", did we leaves the mountain trolls alone because we don't really care about the yield of the mine they are trashing?  Maybe the yield of that mine becomes really useful after some other event in the world (Someone discovers a hidden crating recipe, or an item once useless becomes more popular, or some players become "troll hunters", or the player traffic in a mine becomes much more dense so they must be cleaned for safe player travel.

I can only think of "aggro mobs in strategic places" right now, but there are probably other ways players could "work" and "maintain" the game world (Hopefully not some perpetually irresponsibly run NPC mill that keeps falling apart which players must fedex repair supplies to).

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Someone previously had posted a separate thread about not making everyone a HERO.

There are plenty of interesting stories that can be told without heroic characters.  The Black Company series by Glen Cook, and the Malazan series by Steven Erikson are perfect examples.  Hell, Conan is a perfect example, but I mean the real Conan, written by the master himself, Robert E. Howard.  Not the coopted hero version that the character evolved into for mass appeal purposes.

My point is that I'm tired of the stereotypical Light vs Darkness crap that absolutely permeates through 90% of MMOs.  HORDE V ALLIANCE - EMPIRE V REBELS - ANGELS V DEMONS or any of that other crap is just cliche and non-creative by this point.

How about a world of people?  I assure you a person can be just as much of a bad-guy as that demon over there.  I assure you.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png