Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sims

What is the most addictive/defining thing about CF for you?

On 12/31/2019 at 8:49 PM, Sims said:

This is subjective and might be a bit early being alpha but nevertheless based on your current playing experience what particular things about CF that is brings you back on every patch? What gives you the ich to login in the morning and play and wish you can miss work 🙂 .  [...]

That's simple.

a) The game i believe in still not being finished
b) The european market not being treated as seriously as it should (and also itself not acting as seriously as it should (it's a two-sided sword)),  though it produces a far from insignificant revenue

That's the two things that keep me going most.

Once both is done, I am probably out. ;)

I like aspects of all three major areas: gathering, crafting and PvP. I feel I am primarily a gatherer/crafter, but I do love pvp(though I consider myself average at best-I am a support player). I also like the teamwork element. I play a lot solo currently, since I am part of a small, inactive guild. The progression within the game, when you can harvest higher rank nodes, or create better and better items always feels great. I am very excited for the upcoming patch to broaden the game scope and create more and deeper game loops. As a former player of Shadowbane, I am really excited to see the city building system. 

I am not itching to play at this point, and here is some of the whys...in 3 key areas (do not want to make a long post).

Crafting: I did enjoy Gathering but I dislike the way the Resources pop out in the world the you have to run around gather them and the worse is that they disappear after some time. That is completely ludicrous.

It got old really fast, but before that the actual exploring to find nodes the variety of nodes and materials is nice. The durability of starting items being so low is annoying too, I like that we can just gather wood and make new gathering tools on the go, but their durability should last longer.

As a Star Wars Galaxies vet (and Ultima Online), I can see the depth of the Crafting and the principles underlying it. The crafting Stations system, is great the variety of items that can be crafted is great and the general approach to it is great.

The Skill system is annoyingly long...I do not even read the steps I train any more repetition just for the sake f repetition, efficiency, more efficiency and yet more efficiency plus some efficiency...not fleshed out, too many steps to train in to. And I think there should be a part that is completed via actually practicing the skill crafting items and gaining xp from doing so rather than untended skill training.

RPG Elements: It bothers me that all the characters are named the same by the account and that we cannot create unique characters with own names. It is like if I am playing Planetside2 or something and not an MMORPG..is this an MMORPG to begin with? Is this a MOBA? Or at least do you want us to play this game like a MOBA on for a few minutes do some Siege PvP/Gathering and Crafting and Off when we get our fill?

It lacks the stuff which encourages Social behavior which give meaning to our characters to the world our goals in the world.

Why should I bother investing in creating something in the Eternal Kingdoms if these are empty all the time with no one interested in the social aspect as everyone is busy having a session of specific fun and then log off?

Why should I even bother going to Campaigns even to gather/win stuff for the Eternal Kingdoms? Status? Show off? Greed/wealth?...these are all temporary goals...

What contributes to the longevity of an in game community is the social bonds that players develop. At this point I come back periodically pout points in skills and log out...

Combat System :

This one I do not like at all in the current form. the Trays, especially for a ranged class, the slowdown in combat the manual in combat out combat mechanics are really unintuitive and clanky, do not flow well and are frustrating.

Here is a Taste of my experience.

Example:  Sees a target, wants to engage, opps cannot attack because in non combat mode, press button to enter combat, attack with ranged, Has to manually aim and fire,  target (PvE) jumps over very fast, what to do next? Point blank shooting arrows, very unintuitive, wants to place a trap, oops gotta switch tray lay the trap, oops cannot run away, out of combat run a bit faster in combat opps accidental switched to melee tray change tray to range shoot oops the target is upon me.  BAghhh screw that! Lets go fight in WoW Classic.

The flow is horrendous. And for a Combat oriented game such as this where the core activity will be mostly Combat (and since, if no one fights the economy collapses as people can go so far with basic resources)...this is a very important core system to get right.

It has to be fluid and intuitive and to cater to the average player not the niche Min-Maxer who stacks everything on one specific way of fighting, to show off on Youtube and Twitch. I do not play games because of Twitch and Youtube.

I know allot of people may disagree with me, please do. Disagreements and discussion in disagreement is a good thing as long as it is constructive. What I like to throw you way though, is, if everything is fine, then where are the masses of people in this game enjoying Core mechanisms? I understand it is early and Alpha, I am asking that question within that Context. I played other game in Alpha that were much more crowded, it shows when the systems of the game have good synergy and there is interest to play.

Crowfall illicits interest to Test, but at this point not much interest to Play, yet there is much potential in the core idea. It is just not expressed in a way that meets that target at this time.

And that becomes my answer, the most Addicitive/Defining thing about CF is the potential of its Ideas...It sounds really good on paper...

Edited by Duke_Suraknar
typos

~ Duke Suraknar ~

<Order of the Silver Star>, (OSS)

*everyone dies, not everyone really fights*

The community keeps me here. We all give each other a hard time but we also all mostly get along. And the hope dregs is actually interesting enough to create some great content.

The game itself at this point does very little for me. Classes are shallow. There isn’t much actual theory crafting. 90%+ of the disciplines are useless. Once you do the math there’s only a few stats that actually matter. Which then leaves very little room for unique builds that are effective. The only Zerg busting mechanic is broke as hell and makes it un-fun. Besides gathering there is no action outside of prime time siege windows. 

I enjoy roleplaying as a lawncare service provider, taking care of the unkempt greenery surrounding the forts and keeps.  When you log in and see that grass the same height each day you are witnessing the passion and effort put forth by yours truly (and my trusty John Elkene riding mower).  It ain't much but it's honest work.

4 hours ago, Duke_Suraknar said:

I know allot of people may disagree with me, please do. Disagreements and discussion in disagreement is a good thing as long as it is constructive. What I like to throw you way though, is, if everything is fine, then where are the masses of people in this game enjoying Core mechanisms? I understand it is early and Alpha, I am asking that question within that Context. I played other game in Alpha that were much more crowded, it shows when the systems of the game have good synergy and there is interest to play.

I fully agree with your points.

The new update and following betas will likely show Crowfall's future launch success. If they can't get paying customers to get involved and free potential customers don't show up, time to worry.

2 hours ago, Funeraldirector said:

Open world pvp with loot drop and player owned cities that can be sieged and taken from them like in darkfall.

Will be funny if we can't actually take cities, only damage/loot them. They might have given some recent details but can't remember off the top of my head. Unfortunate there isn't full corpse loot. People don't want to loose their goodies.

10 hours ago, APE said:

Will be funny if we can't actually take cities, only damage/loot them. They might have given some recent details but can't remember off the top of my head. Unfortunate there isn't full corpse loot. People don't want to loose their goodies.

It doesn't have to be full loot...tbh, I get that not being for everyone.  Bag/item drop is enough tbh and forces movement in the world as people are going to bank their recourses a lot more, so they don't lose them.

16 hours ago, APE said:

There was supposed to be full and partial loot in almost every ruleset. There was also supposed to be voxel destruction and free building, but I don't see that in the cards for either OW or EK's. Static build spots and plug/socket style is bad. Luckily its pretty much the cutoff time for the game, its either good times with a bunch of balancing or cut losses and move on, we will see next month.

what got me hooked on Daoc for probably 10 years maybe more was the Realm Ranks system. It forced ppl to go out hunting and pvp so you gained those ranks, ive always said i think CF will need something like this to keep ppl interested in the long term. Winning dreg campaigns will be good for a while but im not sure how long that will keep players interested. Cant wait for the update to see what changes they have made.

Too early to tell what or whatnot I will like about the game however since you mentioned Darkfall, that is my only fear that PVP will become boring after a while (Towards the end it was all just Zerg) and new players will end up just farming all day. While there is a growing number of games that do not have the traditional PVE content per say, it might be worth making Gods reach a little more theme park just to get players entertained and having something to do. Some small quest here and there to basically tell the lore of the game maybe? Let's face it, the general gamer today is lazy and does not read forums or patch notes, it's all about in game graphics and storytelling immersion. 

Just my two cents. 

Edited by Cheburashka

14 hours ago, Fefner said:

what got me hooked on Daoc for probably 10 years maybe more was the Realm Ranks system. It forced ppl to go out hunting and pvp so you gained those ranks, ive always said i think CF will need something like this to keep ppl interested in the long term. Winning dreg campaigns will be good for a while but im not sure how long that will keep players interested. Cant wait for the update to see what changes they have made.

Camelot Unchained can't come soon enough.

On 1/30/2020 at 4:46 AM, APE said:

they have announced a new game for players to play while they wait,  Colossus wont be out til the end of the year so CU wont be out a lot further along. When i played CU in testing i was disappointed, game was very laggy for me almost a slide show but i have heard things have got a bit better since then. Still not sure if the game will be a success or not something about the feel when i tested it just didn't seem right.

3 hours ago, Fefner said:

they have announced a new game for players to play while they wait,  Colossus wont be out til the end of the year so CU wont be out a lot further along. When i played CU in testing i was disappointed, game was very laggy for me almost a slide show but i have heard things have got a bit better since then. Still not sure if the game will be a success or not something about the feel when i tested it just didn't seem right.

Looking at the performance of Colossus, I have hope that CU will turn out being very smooth. I've been in on some of the testing and it was better then CF with a lot more players around. Supposedly they are doing more testing soon with less NDA in place so more people will get to see it in action. But ya, CU is a long ways off still unfortunately. Being a DAoC/WAR fan, I'm willing to wait though. Rather wait another year or two and have a smooth quality experience then settle for whatever comes out first. CF has a lot of work to do itself and I'll be surprised if it comes out this year and isn't still a bit lower quality overall.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:46 PM, APE said:

Yes, both games need to get out ASAP because I need a MMORPG fix and New World looks like a hot mess. 

I role play a wordsmith.

2 hours ago, tierless said:

Yes, both games need to get out ASAP because I need a MMORPG fix and New World looks like a hot mess. 

To be fair all these games have issues and until they launch and prove they are worth our time and money it is all up in the air. All of them could end up flopping regardless of how they do in development or launch. Plenty of examples of good ideas/products losing player interest despite the names and money behind them. I'm critical of all of them but wouldn't have supported them if I didn't have some faith.

Edited by APE

49 minutes ago, APE said:

To be fair all these games have issues and until they launch and prove they are worth our time and money it is all up in the air. All of them could end up flopping regardless of how they do in development or launch. Plenty of examples of good ideas/products losing player interest despite the names and money behind them. I'm critical of all of them but wouldn't have supported them if I didn't have some faith.

I agree. And with MMOs you never know til launch, and even then many of them can turn out good a year or two after. 

I role play a wordsmith.