Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BennettTristan

Is this game even much of a sandbox yet?

Posted (edited)

So I heard they removed voxels a long time ago due to technical limitations. From what I see, you can't even build stuff either?

To me it just looks like a PVP world where you craft stuff, sort of just like a persistent war like ESO's Cyrodil or GW2's WvW.

When are they going to add actual sandbox elements like player constructed buildings or player built towns?vidmate mobdro word counter

Edited by BennettTristan

On 1/8/2020 at 8:04 AM, BennettTristan said:

So I heard they removed voxels a long time ago due to technical limitations. From what I see, you can't even build stuff either?

To me it just looks like a PVP world where you craft stuff, sort of just like a persistent war like ESO's Cyrodil or GW2's WvW.

When are they going to add actual sandbox elements like player constructed buildings or player built towns?

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, they removed the voxel part. It was, anyways, only meant to be used for destruction, not for building. Walls were built of parts (like this), would crumble down specifically and be objects then, like you can see here.

Obviously turned out to use more resources than it would make sense in a PvP oriented game. Who likes lags, right? It's nice, but it's not necessary. (I mean ... I LOVE it ... but ok, not my choice). Maybe once technology allows it.

Building however is a different topic. First of all things are generally divided, for the player, between Eternal Kindoms and Campaign Worlds.

Right now, in the Campaign Worlds we build up predesigned Fortresses. We feed each part of the working site with special resources gathered from saw mills or quarries to get them to the next step of completion. Obviously this will change with the new city building concept, once 5.110 gets to the LIVE servers. So there's nothing more to say about it than that it will change soon (no infos about that yet).

In the Eternal Kingdoms (kind of your personal housing area) you can more or less build quite freely. Despite the original concept of just having some prefedined parcels with predefined strongholds on them, you can build your home (or the home of your guild/community) wall by wall. Not voxel-like individual brick by individual brick though. Still the scope of possible variations is massive.
Let's just take the 3x1 keep wall. It can be massive or include an internal gangway up/down, be blank, have some battlements, a wooden top structure or a second stone level. Not to speak of the different panels you can individually place on both sides and levels (doorway, window, crenel). A lot of options.
Even the main buildings got changed from prefefined buildings to a modular concept that allows for a lot of customization. They also mentioned that there may be different general styles we may use in the future.

What we will get in the end and in how far one will be available in the other world, that remains to be seen (though of course campaigns are priority - PvP, remember). A lot of questions about this should be answered in the next 5.110 update, though. So keep one eye open. At least. ;)

Have fun, good luck
Kraahk