Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hampius

I am impressed with World of Warcraft...

Posted (edited)

...development before it was released :) And oh boy, I'm soo impressed with what I see in Crowfall at this moment!
No, it's not a troll topic and I hope none of You will see it this way.

First of all I'd like to say hello to the Community and of course - the Developers.
I'm a long time lurker and have been following Crowfall since it's KS times. I've even been a founder for some time (but unfortunately I've refunded that package - yes, my mistake, but I've fixed that by buying a new one).

Anyway, I've recently bought a book that was written by John Staats, former member of Blizzard. The book is the diary of developing World of Warcraft and covers many interesting topics in terms of how complicated is to create a MMO game. Reading that books really made me apreciate more all the things I already see at current stage of Crowfall's development.
I've always thought that game development is a serious business and that it demands plenty of time, money and of course - talented people led by a good manager(s). It felt quite obvious that things take time and despite that I've never really had a chance to try this myself (my only experience in game development was an attempt on creating a mod for Neverwinter Nights, which eventually hit it's final milestone - it was trashed :D ), I never really gave it much thought. Until lately.
Please don't take my post as some kind of trollish attempt to advertise that book, but it really shows how even an established studio that attempts to create something more or less new (even if the genre has been around for a very long time) strugled in different areas, because it's a freaking tough job to do! One thing I have to add is that Crowfall, despite being in an alpha state, shows already a huge progress considering that everything had to be made from scratch (except engine that's powering up the game, which has it's advantages and disadvantages). All those systems already present in the game really make me feel optimistic about the future of the game! :)

So, thumbs up for the Devs for their hard work and all the best for everyone in 2020! :) 

Kind regards,
Hamp

PS. English is not my native language - sorry for mistakes.

Edited by Hampius

Posted (edited)

Welcome ! and yes game development is a mixed bag and almost never easy.

I am currently backing 3 projects that are doing things no one else has done Crowfall (of course) Camelot Unchained and Star Citizen and in all 3 cases it's very different. Crowfall and CU are closer to scope and scale but still doing things no one else has tried and so far exceeding at it. although launch may be far away for these projects you see it coming together much like Crowfall here.

Star Citizen on the other hand is trying things that are to me truly game changing if they can make it all work. 

but this is exciting times for crowd funded MMO's that are trying different things. some small some large but all exciting for the furture of gaming not only for these projects but what they will mean for the future of gaming in general.

So yes my hats off to all the devs that stretch themselves to accomplish what has not been done before and most of us are rooting for you! (with our wallets too!)

(didn't realize that was my first post)

guess my lurker status is over lol

Edited by Drunk3nShaman

1 hour ago, Ble said:

No one look at the changes New World is making...  just don't do it!

Going full carebear sure turned me off. 

8 hours ago, Drunk3nShaman said:

what no PVP now in new world? and I was going to pre order to at least try it in beta now not sure.

https://mein-mmo.de/new-world-interview-open-world

Translate if you dont't speak German.

PVP is now on/off flagging. 3 Faction. More focus on events (50 vs 50). 1k players per server.

I liked a lot of NW's systems and much seemed launch ready last year, but with these changes and a big push for PVE, not sure they'll have enough content.

11 hours ago, Ble said:

No one look at the changes New World is making...  just don't do it!

Too late. Seems like it is too difficult to pull off a "hardcore" PVP MMO. All titles eventually bend or cave to make a more accessible and likely successful game.

Crowfall for example has no FFA option (yet), no full loot, walked back losing/decaying characters, yet to see ruleset where only winners win (no export for losers), more PVE added (leveling, mob grind for drops), no destruction of the world (voxels), walked back survival elements, scary hunger isn't so scary, etc.

I've been playing MMOs for many years, and Crowfall is the first project I've followed and tested so early in development. It's been enlightening (to a player with no game dev experience) to see more of how the process really works from initial concept to implementation. I have more appreciation overall for any studio trying to make an MMO, and the "massive" challenges involved.

I'm not sure ACE would want to do this crowdfunding thing ever again :lol: so thanks to the whole dev team for sharing their journey with us. Excited to start testing 5.110!

tiPrpwh.png