Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SleepyRogue

The REAL reason they are pushing for B E T A...

Devs: Crowfall Beta!...Crowfall BETA!...get your BETA here folks...We all know you've been waiting for that B E T A.

Me: But the game is in Pre-alpha, shouldn't the next phase be Alph-

Devs: B E T A!!!! WE DOING  B    E    T     A!!!!!                                                                  Y'ALL WANT THAT     B                    E                         T                             A

Me: ...

I bought into Crowfall because Warlords of Draenor was terrible...and it the last 4 years we've had 2 more Wow expansions, Classic wow came out, New World got announced, developed, and soon released, Albion Online came out, a multitude of other games have been released....and Crowfall.

Crowfall in that time has gone from pre-alpha...to "Beta"

If they said Alpha we'd think Crowfall was Star citizen 2.0, and gonna release some time later this century.

So of course they had to say "Beta", because they are seeing every other game in the industry moving at light speed by comparison.

Camelot Unchained also went into Beta 1.5 years ago.

Because being in Alpha for nearly 8 years was not gonna sit well with the players, and we're seeing the same mentality here.

So look, I understand Kickstarter MMOs don't have the huge AAA budgets or larger staff to make these things go faster, but I have to be realistic.

There are gonna be children playing Crowfall that were born and raised during its development.

Now it's not as bad as Star citizen, where literally the Grandchildren of the current backers will be playing this game, but I'm sure you can see the problem.

Waiting for games to come out shouldn't feel like wandering the desert for 40 years.

If you read the dev info or listened to the QAs, next patch will bring us to alpha status, which means more or less feature complete for launch. From there it’s polish until they are happy enough to declare it Beta (probably several small fix patches in there too). That moves it into stress test and final polishing before launch. Once happy they launch it live. We’ve known this is the plan for about 6 months or so now, none of this is a big surprise or change to their plans.

Edited by Duffy

lPoLZtm.png

6 hours ago, YouTubejasonwivart said:

they originally called the 5.1 patch alpha but now they are just saying beta cause it really doesn't matter

It doesn't yet they chose to define their own stages of development and continue to use them as a way to mark milestones all while saying they don't matter and continuing to confuse people that don't know any better.

4 hours ago, KDSProm said:

@SleepyRogue You have not played this game yet I take it and/or you are very young. In the last 20 years I've played full releases of AAA mmos that were worse than the Crowfall that I've played throughout 2019.

Which ones?

If they were worse then Crowfall then maybe they weren't AAA?

SWTOR, Albion Online, Pirates of the Caribbean online, Star Trek online, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, Wildstar - I don't remember paying the sub on any of them as I stopped playing within the first month - and I only stop playing when people stop logging in and there is too few people to create content for. 

Edited by KDSProm

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

On 1/14/2020 at 5:20 PM, Duffy said:

If you read the dev info or listened to the QAs, next patch will bring us to alpha status, which means more or less feature complete for launch. From there it’s polish until they are happy enough to declare it Beta (probably several small fix patches in there too). That moves it into stress test and final polishing before launch. Once happy they launch it live. We’ve known this is the plan for about 6 months or so now, none of this is a big surprise or change to their plans.

LOL I really hope not. This game is severely lacking in features/content. That will be a death sentence if they dont add anything

On 1/14/2020 at 5:37 PM, SleepyRogue said:

So look, I understand Kickstarter MMOs don't have the huge AAA budgets or larger staff to make these things go faster, but I have to be realistic.

But then, directly after before and throughout, you weren't realistic.  I also wish they'd hurry up, but they won't.  It takes 5+ years to make a game, this process has been very transparent because of the fact that they have let us play it.  And, if we were actually going to be realistic, we'd also need to mention the fact that resources that could have been put towards development have been put towards production and community management.  So, as slow as they are going, and yes, it's slow, its even slower because we are here.

The upside to this is, if done correctly, they should be able to have a very solid release.  The content should be very rich and deep, bug free and well-tested.  This should allow them to devote resources immediately (and starting even before release) towards additional content.   If the past few years have shown me anything about the gaming community, it's that games that have regular content releases keep their players, games that don't, don't.

This is where I worry.  Regardless of how much time they take or don't take, I'm not seeing the progress that I thought we would have seen.  I'm not seeing that they have a grasp on their design and implementation (due to lingering wide-spread critical issues).

And they've just touted a $12m infusion but if you look at what they are hiring, it makes one think that money is going somewhere besides CF.

The cool thing about it all is that 2020 will definitely show everyone, one way or another, if CF is going to be successful or not.  I'm rooting for them, it has the potential to be great. 

Edited by Ble

4 hours ago, IsilithTehroth said:

LOL I really hope not. This game is severely lacking in features/content. That will be a death sentence if they dont add anything

The next patch is massive and adds several core features missing today with a slew of their balance/system tweaks, not sure what your looking at for missing features and content. If you expected themepark trappings of quests, raids, and other PvE centric activity you may be in the wrong place.

lPoLZtm.png

4 hours ago, Duffy said:

If you expected themepark trappings of quests, raids, and other PvE centric activity you may be in the wrong place.

To be honest, I expected large pvp battles, some sort of kingdom ebb and flow, no leveling or grind for the sake of grind, basically a thronewar type of game. Its starting to look like both types of players may be in the wrong place...

14 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

To be honest, I expected large pvp battles, some sort of kingdom ebb and flow, no leveling or grind for the sake of grind, basically a thronewar type of game. Its starting to look like both types of players may be in the wrong place...

3777084698_a7ef4bf328.jpg

22 hours ago, KDSProm said:

SWTOR, Albion Online, Pirates of the Caribbean online, Star Trek online, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, Wildstar - I don't remember paying the sub on any of them as I stopped playing within the first month - and I only stop playing when people stop logging in and there is too few people to create content for. 

Vanguard was a FFF game. They had about the same funding as Crowfall (which might have had more value then), but overall was a far cry from what I'd call a AAA game. One of if not the largest flop in MMO history. Wouldn't make it as a crowdfunded, early access today. Not surprising Pantheon didn't manage to crowdfund initially and still looks like yet another attempt to re-do EQ for whatever reason when EQ/EQ2 exist and do it all better.

Never tried Pirates or Star Trek.

Albion had more content at launch then Crowfall does today or likely will have. Wasn't perfect and much has improved and been added since launch. Not sure how Crowfall lacking optimization, polish, and a good chunk of features is better.

Wildstar was a decent game but screwed up some things, not sure how Crowfall is better in any way.

SWTOR also similar. Wasn't perfect out the gate and the money didn't match the end product, but it was a full featured MMO. At least from what I remember.

Obviously what you consider "worse" is subjective, but Crowfall is not yet a game but a work in progress. Even the next major update doesn't sound like it will have all the systems intended for launch initially. Then again maybe you just didn't like what those games offered? No idea.

Edited by APE

Darkfall online had most pvply and it still died, there has to be many activities for non pvpers to do or people that don't want to pvp 24/7, otherwise people burn out, espcially if its mostly zerg vs zerg conflict. Think Uo and runescape.

There can be many pvp content enabling things too that entice the players to do that activity.

Edited by IsilithTehroth

1 hour ago, IsilithTehroth said:

Darkfall online had most pvply and it still died, there has to be many activities for non pvpers to do or people that don't want to pvp 24/7, otherwise people burn out, espcially if its mostly zerg vs zerg conflict. Think Uo and runescape.

There can be many pvp content enabling things too that entice the players to do that activity.

The non PvP content is prepping for PvP. (Gathering/Crafting)

1 minute ago, oneply said:

The non PvP content is prepping for PvP. (Gathering/Crafting)

Exactly, that is never enough. If everything leads to pvp for the sake of pvp then you have nothing else to do.

Just now, IsilithTehroth said:

Exactly, that is never enough. If everything leads to pvp for the sake of pvp then you have nothing else to do.

Why would you want to do anything else? There are dozens of wow clones with a generic amount of unsatisfying activities to do. Not every mmo needs to have it to be successful. There are clearly numerous people who signed onto to CF with the expectation of not having to do all that “extra” content.