Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Forecore

Skill ceiling compared to other games?

4 hours ago, oneply said:

They need to do something to make Zerg/blob busting possible. This is the easiest solution. 

Isn't there friendly fire in game?  That should help with zergs?

1 minute ago, IsilithTehroth said:

I reaaaallly hope so. 

Spoken like a true darkfaller...lol...but that in itself should make zergs beatable, imo any game that has aoe's and healers make it so zergs will have the easy road, only way around it is friendly fire.  

3 minutes ago, Funeraldirector said:

Spoken like a true darkfaller...lol...but that in itself should make zergs beatable, imo any game that has aoe's and healers make it so zergs will have the easy road, only way around it is friendly fire.  

Zerging is always terrible in a game like this, the CC is already bad enough then you factor in aoe heals which should only be aimbased heals like darkfall, without something to stop zerging this game will just be another RvR/WvW and would die QUICKLY. Huge zerg battles are a gimmick if no skill is involved.

2 minutes ago, IsilithTehroth said:

Zerging is always terrible in a game like this, the CC is already bad enough then you factor in aoe heals which should only be aimbased heals like darkfall, without something to stop zerging this game will just be another RvR/WvW and would die QUICKLY. Huge zerg battles are a gimmick if no skill is involved.

I don't mind zergs, if they can be countered, so hope for friendly fire.

6 minutes ago, Funeraldirector said:

I don't mind zergs, if they can be countered, so hope for friendly fire.

Zerg vs Zerg is always so boring, just blob an aoe spam, usually no skill involved and really the only one that got it right was Darkfall, but thats because the TTK was high enough to not get 1 shot or in case you got Wof'd you could counter it yourself via bhop spells/shield/teammate healing you are come hithering. Even then you'd have to have a damned good teammates to beat zergs, but it achievable on player skill merits alone. (Honestly wish RoA would start pumping out more content for their game already.)

Edited by IsilithTehroth

48 minutes ago, Funeraldirector said:

Isn't there friendly fire in game?  That should help with zergs?

There won't be. And if there is, it'll be a side experiment in a side CW somewhere.

I was hoping for Big World-like friendly fire outside of your immediate group, which means all players in the 5-man group are immune, but anything outside of that needs to be coordinated to avoid friendly fire. It was fun in Big World and worked pretty well all the way to 20ish vs 20ish.

But that's also not happening. Next best thing would be to cap guild size to 50 max and put friendly fire on anything beyond that, like sub guilds and alliances. But let's be honest, it'll probably be full immunity to everyone in your alliance like it works in faction ruleset. Just roll that ball against the enemy ball and have fun with the spammy war of attrition pvp. 

There was some friendly fire in Shadowbane and it was amazing, but then again in the old days we were willing to stomach everything.

Still, I wish they did it like in Shadowbane considering that this is Shadowbane 2. The most powerful and damaging AOE spells could also hit your party. With great powers came great responsibilites. It was glorious.

Edited by Falconeer

1 hour ago, Rikutatis said:

There won't be. And if there is, it'll be a side experiment in a side CW somewhere.

I was hoping for Big World-like friendly fire outside of your immediate group, which means all players in the 5-man group are immune, but anything outside of that needs to be coordinated to avoid friendly fire. It was fun in Big World and worked pretty well all the way to 20ish vs 20ish.

But that's also not happening. Next best thing would be to cap guild size to 50 max and put friendly fire on anything beyond that, like sub guilds and alliances. But let's be honest, it'll probably be full immunity to everyone in your alliance like it works in faction ruleset. Just roll that ball against the enemy ball and have fun with the spammy war of attrition pvp. 

Zerg vs Zerg isn't fun though, except for the first few times.

1 hour ago, Rikutatis said:

Ahh...that sucks, I thought there was ff.  Really without it, it makes it hard to beat zergs.

2 hours ago, Funeraldirector said:

Ahh...that sucks, I thought there was ff.  Really without it, it makes it hard to beat zergs.

Designing combat around FF isn't easy, but instead of even trying they went full in on mechanics that pretty much reward zerging to fullest. Only thing holding back zergs is the servers melting. As some seem to believe <30 FPS is decent, I guess we'll have zergs, low performance, and low skill ceiling mechanics. 

We'll have to see how Dregs ends up as it might see smaller guilds standing on their own, but my guess is we'll see a few large alliances basically mirroring factions so same difference. Which I will find funny with all the trash talk of the faction system.

7 hours ago, IsilithTehroth said:

The difference in skill between overwatch and CS:Go is huge. Cs:go is all about player skill and knowledge. Overwatch is all about knowledge and using alts, fps skills matter but not as much. Really wish we could get another Darkfall with modern graphics and sandbox content.

"Skill" comes in many forms.  Precision aiming and twitch game play are not the only or best forms.

If you don't believe player skill matters as much in OW, you haven't played/watched high end competitive players and teams. OW requires a lot more variety of skill IMO. Obviously unlike guns/FPS which are rather straight forward, games with "classes" have a lot of balance factors that screw with everything.

People crap all over MOBAs, WoW arenas, and anything else that they likely have little experience with or are poor at. 

It isn't apples to apples.

Crowfall will take skill as everything does, but as the title questions, the ceiling is relatively low in comparison to top MMOs from my experience.

Very little to zero of Crowfall hasn't been done and likely better in other games when it comes to combat and the larger group strategy play. 

Edited by APE

On 1/21/2020 at 10:44 AM, IsilithTehroth said:

Zerg vs Zerg is always so boring, just blob an aoe spam, usually no skill involved and really the only one that got it right was Darkfall, but thats because the TTK was high enough to not get 1 shot or in case you got Wof'd you could counter it yourself via bhop spells/shield/teammate healing you are come hithering. Even then you'd have to have a damned good teammates to beat zergs, but it achievable on player skill merits alone. (Honestly wish RoA would start pumping out more content for their game already.)

except aoe spam is pointless cause its limited to 5 targets generaly max and there selected at random where heals either hit everyone or have a cap but selects the most dmg people first it seems.

Veeshan Midst of UXA