Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Falconeer

Is that "camera skip" when you loot ever going to go away?

I've been into this game since forever, put quite some money into it and still happy to support and talk highly about it. With that out of the way:

What is that camera skip/snap that I get every single time I open or close the inventory interface, looting for example? It has been there for about two years of testing, I'd say? I am sure it has been discussed before but I wouldn't even know how to research it in the forums. It seems to be linked to a SPK value in the performance monitor (spikes? lag spikes?), which increase by 1 every time I loot or open(OR CLOSE) the inventory, but my question still stands. Is that basically a lag spikes that happens every single time the interface is summoned? And is it ever going to go away, or it's just an aspect of the game we'll have to deal with? I wouldn't ask if it hadn't been there for so long. I know it's Alpha, but it still feels like a pretty weird bug/feature not to squash early-ish.

Thanks.

My understanding is the next patch uses a newer version of Unity that has improved "garbage collection" that may help with that.

IhhQKY6.gif

Thanks for the reply. I've never seen anything like this in the other 1000 Unity games so I didn't think it could pertain the engine. Also, "garbage collection"? I am really curious about the technology behind this issue as it happens to me just by opening and closing the inventory. I can stand still and just spam the i button and I see the SPK go up by 1 with every single press, so I figured it was a UI issue.

6 minutes ago, Falconeer said:

Thanks for the reply. I've never seen anything like this in the other 1000 Unity games so I didn't think it could pertain the engine. Also, "garbage collection"? I am really curious about the technology behind this issue as it happens to me just by opening and closing the inventory. I can stand still and just spam the i button and I see the SPK go up by 1 with every single press, so I figured it was a UI issue.

Yea, this particular performance problem may not be related to garbage collection. I am speculating. I think the "hitching" that occurs from time to time when looking around probably is.

Some info on garbage collection issue: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/11/26/feature-preview-incremental-garbage-collection/

IhhQKY6.gif

There is UI lag (looting, opening talent tree, etc), most likely not been optimized yet due to UI is still a work-in-progress. We saw some new concepts coming next build with how trays work, for example.

Hopefully that will be improved in the polishing and optimizing that comes after 5.110 when UI becomes more finalized.

tiPrpwh.png

Well that is great news! I am a bit obsessed with UIs and smooth gaming experiences so the whole skipping/snapping issues was not only bothering me but it's preventing me from trying to get more friends in the game. I will absolutely drag them in when the time is right, but that skipping when looting or checking your inventory feels so bad from the get got that I am sure high-mainteinance friends would be turned off by the "jank" right away. Great to know it's probably going to go away and also that the UI is getting some attention.