Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Dev Diary: Powers Load-out

13 hours ago, thomasblair said:

No restrictions on swapping, but you will have UI in your face potentially while being attacked.

doesn´t that open pandoras box for some fancy nerdguys to make a macro that switches those gathering powers for the fighting powers on one button within milisecs?

4 hours ago, yianni said:

So with all the passive power is being active , what about the default passives that each class gets ?

And are we going to have a Buff in the top right of the screen for everything? Because that's going to be a long list

The long list of permanent buffs we currently have on the combat hud was part of my hitlist for 5.110. We mainly were showing passives as permanent buffs for ease of testing. (very easy to see when something was applied because it would put the buff text up). Now that we have other ways to see what is applied to the player and we are communicating this to the player via the spellbook, there is no reason to keep them up on the combat hud. (I do admit it's kinda weird logging in to a character and not seeing any buffs on the combat hud after having them there for many years.)

If you look at the screenshots the Passives section you will even see that is where the Seasonal passive is now. (Also you can hover over it to see what it is doing!)

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

12 hours ago, thomasblair said:

We really haven't really thought we needed to lock down powers swaps yet, because you are right there are some implications.

I think mostly the implications come down to how the discs and traits rework plays out. When we had these shutdown style counter discs and could conjure up discs from thin air you guys rightly looked at the situation and realized that a system of hard counters combined with an ability to effortlessly swap to a desired set of counter abilities on demand created a huge incentive to constantly swap those discs.

If the redesign doesn't give players these kinds of incentives then there's probably not much of a reason to limit the swapping.

The thing I can see being a problem is one that you already addressed in passives. There is a limited amount of space on the combat bar and so everything on it needs to compare really well against all options available to a template.

If the design still has super niche skills like rez, a skill that only cleanses poison, a bard song that's really only useful out of combat, a type of barrier that is only effective against a specific damage type, etc. allowing those swaps in the field is going to have the same issues if those skills have to compete for that bar space with more general purpose abilities.

I commend the move toward auto-passives but when it comes to active skills this is obviously not an option if bar space is intended to constrain player power to a limited selection of possible combat tools, and as such the fate of extremely situational or low impact abilities is in question.

If, however, you're ahead of this curve and have already remedied this in the redesign then it doesn't seem like it would be a problem. For instance if the bard song was actually useful in combat, or the rez switched states to a combat heal when in combat, or the poison cleanse also functioned as a poison damage buff, etc then they'd stack up much better when fighting for bar space and allowing people to swap in the field wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

14 hours ago, thomasblair said:

Centaur and Elken both get the trailmaster passive due to those sturdy legs!

What about Minotaurs? They got them sturdy, beasty legs too!!!

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

1 hour ago, thomasblair said:

The long list of permanent buffs we currently have on the combat hud was part of my hitlist for 5.110. We mainly were showing passives as permanent buffs for ease of testing. (very easy to see when something was applied because it would put the buff text up). Now that we have other ways to see what is applied to the player and we are communicating this to the player via the spellbook, there is no reason to keep them up on the combat hud. (I do admit it's kinda weird logging in to a character and not seeing any buffs on the combat hud after having them there for many years.)

If you look at the screenshots the Passives section you will even see that is where the Seasonal passive is now. (Also you can hover over it to see what it is doing!)

This list of passives from minors, majors and exploration discs is going to be overwhelming. I think exploration passives should be put in their own section, it's pretty self explanatory that they'll be active in either tray while OOC, or maybe they're only active while harvesting.. 

23 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

I think mostly the implications come down to how the discs and traits rework plays out. When we had these shutdown style counter discs and could conjure up discs from thin air you guys rightly looked at the situation and realized that a system of hard counters combined with an ability to effortlessly swap to a desired set of counter abilities on demand created a huge incentive to constantly swap those discs.

If the redesign doesn't give players these kinds of incentives then there's probably not much of a reason to limit the swapping.

The thing I can see being a problem is one that you already addressed in passives. There is a limited amount of space on the combat bar and so everything on it needs to compare really well against all options available to a template.

If the design still has super niche skills like rez, a skill that only cleanses poison, a bard song that's really only useful out of combat, a type of barrier that is only effective against a specific damage type, etc. allowing those swaps in the field is going to have the same issues if those skills have to compete for that bar space with more general purpose abilities.

I commend the move toward auto-passives but when it comes to active skills this is obviously not an option if bar space is intended to constrain player power to a limited selection of possible combat tools, and as such the fate of extremely situational or low impact abilities is in question.

If, however, you're ahead of this curve and have already remedied this in the redesign then it doesn't seem like it would be a problem. For instance if the bard song was actually useful in combat, or the rez switched states to a combat heal when in combat, or the poison cleanse also functioned as a poison damage buff, etc then they'd stack up much better when fighting for bar space and allowing people to swap in the field wouldn't be as much of an issue.

This brings up the point that passives being always active was done because some passives werent being slotted because they werent worth the slot. So what about active powers? It's the same thing people don't slot some actives from disciplines or talents because it's not worth it. For example confessor meteor purge and condemnation. I'm hoping a pass through these active powers is done to make the choice more difficult and to also compliment certain class promotion, again confessor meteor purge doesnt get buffed from any of the confessor promotions, whereas condemnation does.

1 hour ago, yianni said:

This brings up the point that passives being always active was done because some passives werent being slotted because they werent worth the slot. So what about active powers? It's the same thing people don't slot some actives from disciplines or talents because it's not worth it. For example confessor meteor purge and condemnation. I'm hoping a pass through these active powers is done to make the choice more difficult and to also compliment certain class promotion, again confessor meteor purge doesnt get buffed from any of the confessor promotions, whereas condemnation does.

Sad part you used to be able to stack the black mantle from meteor purge before which gave it a little bit of purpose. Lost track of when that change happened when it no longer did that.  

17 hours ago, thomasblair said:

I hope to get them at some point as small symbols in a box - like SWG. And Player can choose to show buffs or not. Same for debuffs.

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

22 hours ago, thomasblair said:

Thank you for this. Knowing what all the buffs, debuffs & state effects actually do will be a big QoL improvement.

1 hour ago, VaMei said:

Thank you for this. Knowing what all the buffs, debuffs & state effects actually do will be a big QoL improvement.

We may still need more verbose skill information for certain triggered abilities that only activate in combat, but for the vast majority of passive effects this is a massive QoL and NPE improvement yeah.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

17 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

We may still need more verbose skill information for certain triggered abilities that only activate in combat, but for the vast majority of passive effects this is a massive QoL and NPE improvement yeah.

Agreed. Down the road when there's full out of game documentation, showing the symbols for personal buff bar and target buff bar, and giving a full explanation of where that buff comes from, what it does, and what it interacts with would be great.

still no booby trap passive when in range trey for brigand. Hate to see it.

Brigands getting hit with stealth nerf. Also now 5 points to access a major to have access to a quiver. Can you maybe throw them a bone and have booby trap passive on range trey.(Brigand def in poopy tier right now could use some help.)

Other then that the new UI looks clean i think.