Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NickyNaps

Feedback from a brand new player.

First I'd like to state that my total play time in game is about 4-6 hours and have played only 2 days. I have also streamed this game on twitch both days to an AMAZING community that has taught me more that I would have ever learned on my own in such a short time. With that being said here is the first piece of feedback I have as a BRAND NEW player. Of which my opinions I'm sure will change over time.

*I will try and update this thread as I have more feedback*

Game Mechanic - Vessels

I love the concept of having vessels, however I dislike that they are not "permanently" part of the character you create. Obtaining a new vessel rare/epic etc, should be equipped to the current character you are playing on, just like a helmet/weapon/etc. instead of creating a new character and using the vessel. I'd love to be able to equip the vessel to my current character, he/she gets the stat boosts that come w/ the upgrade, XP would reset back to 1, talent tree would reset, all w/o having to go to character creation screen. I'd reallllyyy LOVE to see the vessel have durability and degrade over time thus giving Necromancy profession more longevity and more demand.

I was going to mention the Passive Talents per character as well as the Combat/Harvesting tray, but it looks like the recent news that I just read about an hour ago fixes the issues I personally had already so....

Graphics & Gameplay

For an early alpha/beta setting that we are in, this game FEELS great. I honestly did not expect it too, but the one thing I have always said makes a great MMO from level 1 onward is does the game feel like it has WEIGHT to it. When you first press W and run forward it has to feel like your character is actually running along the terrain and now just gliding over pixels. ArtCraft has nailed it thus far and I think it can only get better. I have played many MMO's that have been fully released and as soon as I step in the game world I know the attention to detail just wasn't there.

Graphics of the actual characters/environment are fantastic and whimsical in the best possible way. Games w/ this stylization (is that a word?) generally age VERY well so this will only help the longevity of the game, again I'm confident w/ how good it looks now it would only get better.

User Interface/Experience

This is what I can only assume is going to change a million times before release but I will state it anyways for the sake of it.

When you open a menu in game (spellbook for example) you then press ESC and go back to killing some NPCs,  you then loot them and when the loot UI pops up showing you looted items your spellbook would still be open. Again this is nitpicking and I know this will all change but just wanted to throw it out there.

Guild: Coming Soon (help me decide on a guild name)

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/nickynaps

What you describe for your vessel section is pretty much literally what happens when a new vessel is created: you fire it up, and it needs to be leveled; thus the exp being reset. While I kinda see where you're coming from with it, I think it fits the lore a bit more the way it is. The player is the Spirit Crow--essentially, we're ghost birds. We use dead flesh and stitch it together to battle one another for purposes and reasons that can be as selfish to the individual, to the most pragmatic of theological service. 

While I don't hate the idea of slapping on a more beefy brawny hard-slapping battle-arm, if we hop away from mechanics, and more to the lore--I think the current system (and the more long term idea of a slow creeping build up of power) makes more sense if you look at it from a years-from-now perspective. It might be a tall mountain to climb, but if you chose that path, by the time you get there, you're high above the others. Similar to how EVE functioned before they borked it to all kinds of hell. 

Your other points i agree with/feel no reason to point out. I hope you keep enjoying the game. Crowfall has a strange way of getting its hooks into, and having you spent more hours than you ought with, "What if..".

23 hours ago, NickyNaps said:

First I'd like to state that my total play time in game is about 4-6 hours and have played only 2 days. I have also streamed this game on twitch both days to an AMAZING community that has taught me more that I would have ever learned on my own in such a short time.

[...]

Game Mechanic - Vessels

I love the concept of having vessels, however I dislike that they are not "permanently" part of the character you create. Obtaining a new vessel rare/epic etc, should be equipped to the current character you are playing on, just like a helmet/weapon/etc.

[...]

Graphics & Gameplay

For an early alpha/beta setting that we are in, this game FEELS great. [...]

Graphics of the actual characters/environment are fantastic and whimsical in the best possible way. Games w/ this stylization (is that a word?) generally age VERY well so this will only help the longevity of the game, [...]

User Interface/Experience

This is what I can only assume is going to change a million times before release but I will state it anyways for the sake of it.

[...]

Welcome to the forums. :)

Glad to hear you had some fun, already streamed your first impressions and already got a positive impression about our community. I watched some of your streams too and would like to use the occasion to give a shoutout to @Hyriol and @yiannifor sharing their Crowfall wisdom on your stream. 👍 :)

As for the vessel mechanic, you partially describe what's already there (changing vessel = just new vessel, no xp, no level).
I think I understand what you are meaning, though. You would like to just put the vessel item (actually, they are items) in a vessel slot (which also exists), without having to actively change anything else at this specific moment (which is currently NOT happening "in-world", sorry ;) ).
I would assume that after playing a while you will recognize that the spirit bank (account wide inventory) is much more important and more used than the world-specific character/vessel inventory. You will transfer stuff a lot anyways, making the world-specific "character-inventory" a kind of necessary but not loved solution of how to carry things "at the moment". In that case, transfering items tends to be no longer an extraordinary burden, but just what is done all the time.
I agree, though, that the vessel system can't be "done" yet. There are still a lot of open questions about how transitioning between different vessel of the same kind may occur. I assume we will get the answers only near to launch - and that even after launch some changes may be implemented. Definitely one thing we, as a community, need to watch and give feedback about to help doing it the best way.

As for the graphics, that was indeed the intention. They clearly stated right at the very beginning that a too realistic look would cause problems, because due to technological progress, the game would be look outdated soon. So they tried to give it a very specific unique and hopefully timeless style. I hope it works. It definitely works for me. :D

UI and New Player Experience is something they stated will be a big part of the latest development stages. I tell you, it was much much worse in the past and they already did a lot. If I would be a developer, I probably wouldn't have taken that much care, but they tried to improve even for their pre-alpha testers. Which I would take as a good sign regarding awareness of the UI and EXP issues. But yeah, still a lot to be done for sure. Maybe that's why the two last significant content news were about right those things. ;)

However, thanks for the feedback, your opinion and your streams. Don't stop it. ;)

Have fun and good luck in Crowfall. :)
Kraahk