Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ToothlessRaider

How Solo Player Friendly is this game?

First, I tried posting in Q& A but for whatever reason this is the only section I am able to post in.

Ok, so I am thinking of buying this game, but how solo friendly is the game?  I am ok with it being hard, but if its like not possible at all, that would be an issue for me.  I tend to game 90% at night, which using a mic at 2am would present an issue for me, and after 10 hours of work, the last thing I really want is to hear 20 people yelling and coordinating.  I just like to enjoy my audio books, and go grind mobs and craft gear.

Games I have played solo and enjoyed include

Albion Online(some aspects are not solo friendly)

Ark Survival

SWTOR

BDO

now all are better with friends I know, but does this game have any long term enjoyment for the anti social solo gamer who just wants to farm npcs, craft goods and sell it to the community?   I can spend hours just grinding mobs and crafting in mmorpgs.   Thanks in advance.

Guilds are important in this game, but there are some aspects that are more solo friendly than others. All harvesting except motherlodes can be done solo. When caravans are introduced in the next patch, that will give people another way to get resources, and that might make the world safer for solo harvesters, though we should also see a significant increase in population, which might mean that there are very few safe places. It will depend on how many people are in each campaign. There are worlds where there is no PvP, and words with more limited PvP, but the resource levels will be lower in those worlds.

You can craft solo. Most of the stuff you can craft will require 1 or more subcomponents from another profession. Currently, most recipes can be accessed by everyone, regardless of training, so you can make those subcomponents yourself. You won't be good at making them, though, and would be better off making use of the economy to buy those parts from other players.

Combat-wise, solo is going to be hard. You might be able to gank some harvesters now and then, but with a larger population, your more likely to find yourself outnumbered.

The divine favor system that is being added in the next patch may allow you to contribute more to the war effort as a solo player. We don't know all of the details yet, but it will be basically a quest system that will give people things they can accomplish that will earn points for their faction or guild. I would guess some of those things will be able to be completed by a solo player.

It really depends on your goals in the game. If you want to be a crafter, then I'd say solo is more viable. If you want to be more involved in combat, then you'll probably want to join a faction based campaign, rather than a guild based campaign. 

Once the next patch goes live, they will be inviting everyone who has created a Crowfall account, so you'll get a chance to try the game for free. You can then decide for yourself if it's a game that you want to play.

1 hour ago, Arkade said:

Guilds are important in this game, but there are some aspects that are more solo friendly than others. All harvesting except motherlodes can be done solo. When caravans are introduced in the next patch, that will give people another way to get resources, and that might make the world safer for solo harvesters, though we should also see a significant increase in population, which might mean that there are very few safe places. It will depend on how many people are in each campaign. There are worlds where there is no PvP, and words with more limited PvP, but the resource levels will be lower in those worlds.

You can craft solo. Most of the stuff you can craft will require 1 or more subcomponents from another profession. Currently, most recipes can be accessed by everyone, regardless of training, so you can make those subcomponents yourself. You won't be good at making them, though, and would be better off making use of the economy to buy those parts from other players.

Combat-wise, solo is going to be hard. You might be able to gank some harvesters now and then, but with a larger population, your more likely to find yourself outnumbered.

The divine favor system that is being added in the next patch may allow you to contribute more to the war effort as a solo player. We don't know all of the details yet, but it will be basically a quest system that will give people things they can accomplish that will earn points for their faction or guild. I would guess some of those things will be able to be completed by a solo player.

It really depends on your goals in the game. If you want to be a crafter, then I'd say solo is more viable. If you want to be more involved in combat, then you'll probably want to join a faction based campaign, rather than a guild based campaign. 

Once the next patch goes live, they will be inviting everyone who has created a Crowfall account, so you'll get a chance to try the game for free. You can then decide for yourself if it's a game that you want to play.

Thanks,  I am not against pvp, but I am just a huge fan of being an epic crafter like the days past in SWG, where when somebody wanted a certain piece of armor, they would look to see if you had any on sale first before settling for another persons crafted goods. 

I enjoy harvesting and farming npcs.   PVP happens, but being forced to have to use discord to chat with people is a turn off for me.  Ill do it when I need, but I am an older gamer, and I sometimes just wanna lay in bed and grind npcs and farm resources without having to listen to people talk all night.  I did that for the last 10 years and it ruined mp mmorpgs for me.  Playing solo has given me alot of my freedom back.

Thanks for the info, still considering this game.

Edited by ToothlessRaider
typos

1 hour ago, ToothlessRaider said:

First, I tried posting in Q& A but for whatever reason this is the only section I am able to post in.

Ok, so I am thinking of buying this game, but how solo friendly is the game?  I am ok with it being hard, but if its like not possible at all, that would be an issue for me.  I tend to game 90% at night, which using a mic at 2am would present an issue for me, and after 10 hours of work, the last thing I really want is to hear 20 people yelling and coordinating.  I just like to enjoy my audio books, and go grind mobs and craft gear.

Games I have played solo and enjoyed include

Albion Online(some aspects are not solo friendly)
Ark Survival
SWTOR
BDO

now all are better with friends I know, but does this game have any long term enjoyment for the anti social solo gamer who just wants to farm npcs, craft goods and sell it to the community?   I can spend hours just grinding mobs and crafting in mmorpgs.   Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums.

Crowfall was basically designed as a teamplayer game and therefore still includes not too unimportant game design elements that are meant to encourage people to cooperate with others.

While in the early days of development this statement sounded a lot like there would be nearly no place for solo players at all, they added more and more PvE elements to the game, allowing solo players to find a foothold. So, in my opinion, it seems they came to the conclusion that a pure teamplayer game wouldn't allow for a big enough audience ... and adjusted their plans. That's in so far important to know as it seems they are aware of the soloplayer audience and want to do as much as possible for them without breaking the main teamplayer orientation.

As always in games, what we play depends on what we like. One of the main pillars of Crowfall is to let the player decide what and how to play.

If you want to be the notorious hero of every siege, the most known fighter with the best vessel and equipment, there will be no way to get there without teamplay.
If you want to be a crafter that serves the needs of the latter, you will need to cooperate with others up to a certain degree, to get the necessary resources (and to sell your stuff).

Theoretically you can also just fight NPC's in no-PvP areas, farm not too bad resources, build your own kingdom up to the usual 6.5 square kilometers, provide a market place or social hub or join others. Without ever having to PvP.
Even if you would like to PvP only from time to time, without big coordination, you could just enter campaign world based on factions (chaos order balance) and just freely join one of the scheduled sieges.

In my personal opinion, it is already well done and based on the right thoughts. For example, if you don't want teamplay, you simply won't need the best vessel and equipment. There's no sense in having it, other than just wanting it. And if you really want it ... well, then you will have the energy to do the extra mile. ;)

tl;dr: Two years ago I would have said you need to be a pretty hardcore solo player to play Crowfall solo. Today I say, it's more than just possible, though - depending on personal goals - it includes some challenges. Tomorrow ... well, that remains to be seen. I would say it's quite probable that the developers will implement even more solo features to get a better grip on solo-players ... while also trying to design the game in a way that entices them join teamplay one day.

Have fun, good luck
Kraahk

One thing to note is that many/most guilds will likely have hours with poor coverage, where even though people are in a guild, they may wind up having solo time during those odd hours. Point is, you probably won't be the only one flying solo during off hours.

You certainly can have some success as a solo player. I've had quite a bit of success with lone-wolf PvP as an Assassin and Duelist. However I still participate in group activities and have a guild.

You can still have fun with a lot of your time being solo or outside of super organized guild groups. I imagine there will be random pick-up groups that assemble to do various things in a relaxed fashion. You'll still want to be social and build relationships with people to sell goods and to get stuff made. However I don't think you have to be hyper-social to still have fun.

You will be putting yourself at a disadvantage if you're going out of your way to not play with other players but it sounds like you're wondering if you absolutely need to be in coordinated groups with voice-comms 24/7 and you definitely don't. 

One element of the game that isn't very fleshed our currently, but will open up a lot of options for solo players, will be the various player run marketplaces throughout Crowfall's universe. Player owned cities and realms will have vendors stocked with crafted goods which you can buy for gold. Most crafted items require at least 2 crafting professions getting involved in the process, so solo crafting will be difficult if you don't have multiple accounts. If that's not for you, you'll just drop by a player-run market town and buy all of the weapons, armor, runes, tools and other items you'll need in your adventures.

In past testing cycles, players ran very successful merchant Eternal Kingdoms like Aerynth Traders or Srathor's Lawn.

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

It takes multiple harvesters and multiple crafters to make each item. Solo PvP is viable if you can get gear but with sub par guild you will be a distinct advantage.  Without a guild working together you will be a distinct advantage.  Merchant cities will rarely have the best gear.

Take note that everybody telling you it’s viable has friends who harvest and craft for/with them or use teams of alt accounts to craft gear so they don’t need others. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

4 hours ago, mandalore said:

Take note that everybody telling you it’s viable has friends who harvest and craft for/with them or use teams of alt accounts to craft gear so they don’t need others. 

QFT

There are many great points by all of the posters about the potential for playing solo in CF. This game is an interesting mix of specialization and interdependence. You can harvest most anything in the game, besides Mother Lode Ore and Stone nodes,  and at some point they might put in skinning and lumber mother lodes as well-they require a minimum of two players(and the more the better). If you train in Exploration and Crafting, you will end up specializing in 1 harvestable and 1 craft. However, all high end crafting requires interdependence with at least one other crafting discipline. You can purchase multiple accounts to cover more disciplines, or you will need to find markets and/or join a guild. 

I think you can be primarily a solo player for a lot of content while in a guild. Especially if you are up front with your play style, you can probably find a good match. Guilds will definitely need crafters and harvesters because of the amount of specialization needed to get the best resources and craft the best items. @Arkade made a good point-you can wait for a beta invite and try it for free before you invest in the game. One important thing to take note of, is the skill training is slow, and at launch may be up to 3x slower than right now, so it will take many months to years to finish a skill tree.