Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Impressions after two years (the ENGINE issue)

So I was watching some Albion pvp videos recently out of curiosity after their latest Queen update (it turned territory wars into full open world events). Albion is also a Unity game and honestly it didn't give me much hope. They have considerably simpler graphics and combat compared to CF, have been optimizing their performance for several years since launch and videos as recent as from 3-5 months ago still show these large scale fights degrading performance to 10-20 fps along with big ms spikes. 

But maybe other people that play Albion can comment more on that. 

I don't know, I keep hearing more tech savvy people saying Unity is perfectly fine to do whatever you want with it, just looking at Albion as the closest example we have of a Unity MMO with large scale fights. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll be brief. This game, on paper, was the best thing ever. That's why we pledged (big) and why we are still here. Five years later, it is still exciting to read about it. What is being promised is

This does worry me as well. They can add in all the bells n whistles they want but if the game runs poorly, it will be a waste. The next big update really needs to bring in more new/old faces and

If you are afraid Unity can't handle complex stuff, or their team can't roll out MMO features, ACE requested, check their latest feature showcase video:   

On 1/30/2020 at 2:26 PM, Falconeer said:

I have seen this recently. Unity can handle it. What spaghetti code ArtCraft brewed in the last five years and what can be done now with it is a different story.

Please forgive my apparent pessimism. I guess it's just my way to lower my expectations or exorcise my fears. I REALLY WANT this game to succeed, and so I really want for you to be right and for me to be wrong. I am just exposing why I am reasoning the way I am reasoning, and hoping that at some point ACE will just make a blog post or video to address my (and other people's) fears.

In my XP when devs dont say they either dont know are affraid to tell us. 

I role play a wordsmith.

My gripe is that they keep telling us to invite our friends to test. And I would LOVE to do it, but unfortunately I know that if I invinte them with the engine in this state, they'll declare the game dead. Stupid friends? Sure. But they are my friends, and the problem stands: if we invite people now, they won't stick around.

6 hours ago, Rikutatis said:

I don't know, I keep hearing more tech savvy people saying Unity is perfectly fine to do whatever you want with it, just looking at Albion as the closest example we have of a Unity MMO with large scale fights. 

Some folks consider sub 30fps acceptable or perfectly fine, some don't get into large sieges and don't see the slideshow. Unity can do many things perfectly acceptable but not everything, any action pvp mmo with more then 50-60 players in combat suffers greatly. 

3 hours ago, Falconeer said:

My gripe is that they keep telling us to invite our friends to test. And I would LOVE to do it, but unfortunately I know that if I invinte them with the engine in this state, they'll declare the game dead. Stupid friends? Sure. But they are my friends, and the problem stands: if we invite people now, they won't stick around.

i know that  feeling

Edited by EnsaimadaBlanca

3 hours ago, mystafyi said:

Some folks consider sub 30fps acceptable or perfectly fine, some don't get into large sieges and don't see the slideshow. Unity can do many things perfectly acceptable but not everything, any action pvp mmo with more then 50-60 players in combat suffers greatly. 

Low FPS can be acceptable (for some) if the game experience doesn't suffer greatly. Some games still look/play decent enough with low FPS. As in, you can move around, there isn't much or any input lag, and things aren't popping in/out constantly.

However I've played Black Desert siege war with a lot of people and been low FPS and it was still smoother then some of the lag I've experienced in Crowfall with fewer people and far less graphically impressive looking players/spells/environments/siege equipment etc.

Every game has it's own issues but I've had much larger then 60 players on screen or in a close area in DAoC, WAR, GW2, WoW, Aion, ESO, BDO, AO and so on.

For a brand new game selling itself as a "Throne War" with comparisons being made to Game of Thrones and EVE along with an emphasis on GvG, Siege, and burning cities to the grown, I assume some expect more then 50-60 and an quality experience, regardless if the FPS meter ticks 30 or 300.

It's not even the LOW fps. It's how stable and consistent they are. Stop and go, fast and slow, smooth and choppy is way worse than, say, stable and permanent 30 fps. We can all agree that 30 fps is not good enough in 2020, but I'll take it over 90 in certain areas and then stuttering 20 in others.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course it runs.

It doesn't run well though. And "well" is subjective I suppose. I expect any game to run at a steady 30+ fps under any circumstance these days. If it ever stutters, then it's not running "well".

Hey guys,

It is unfortunate to read that Crowfall performance is still 'bad'. About a year ago I last tried playing the alpha (and also before that), but what made me quit in frustration was the combination of low frame rates, and the GUI causing micro-stutters every single time something updated on it - Took damage? Micro-stutter. Dealt damage? Micro-stutter. Opened a loot window? Micro-stutter. Moved an item or skill? Micro-stutter. You get the idea... Even moving Crowfall to an SSD did not solve these issues.

I am, like a lot of people, waiting for this 'big final alpha update'. But if it doesn't solve the crippling performance issues that plague the game, then I'm not sure if I can maintain interest in this title, at least not until giving it a final chance close to release and hoping that things got sorted out before then. 😐

Edited by Raap

Just last night I was in Discord with a bunch of my old guildees since the early 2000s. Randomly talking about MMORPGs we were talking about DAOC 2 and Star Citizens, as the scams they appear to be, and one of them said "and then there is Crowfall which I think is another scam and never coming out". To which, I jumped up and staerted to explain to them how wrong that sentiment is, and how uninformed they are and how the game is coming along very well and how I am surte it is going to be released soon and there is already a game here and it has nothing in common with the ridiculous state of Star Citizen and Camelot Unchained. So, finally, they asked "oh cool, so can we try it? Should we pull the trigger?" to owhich I froze and once again thought "if they go into the game right now, the micro-stutters would infuriate them and would just make them leave the game and file it under "joke".

Raap's experience above echoes what would hit the vast majority of players who are gonna try Crowfall in its present state. Until the micro-stuttering problem and the overall bad performances are fixed, I can't invite anyone to try the game or come back to see what's new if they tested it a long time ago.