Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zempestuous

[ADHOC] – An NA Merchant Guild for War of the Gods

8 minutes ago, Telonos said:

I dunno, I could see possibilities with this. What if you are a small guild and don't have all the crafts covered? There will be room for many different types of playstyles, I think it can work. Not all guilds are mega guilds with tons of accounts and crafters to cover every need. If I ran a small guild, I'd probably have my members focus on gathering materials and then seek out experienced craftspeople to actually make at least some items; the crafting part is actually a lot harder to get skilled at than the gathering part.

Just my 2 bits. Good luck!

@Telonos.  Exactly!!  In addition, what if you're a small guild and would like to run caravans and simply don't have the defense forces necessary to make it work?  The Artisan Guard could be "outsourced" to assist such activities.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Telonos said:

I dunno, I could see possibilities with this. What if you are a small guild and don't have all the crafts covered?

Then your guild is too small to compete at much of anything and you need to:

[1] Join an allegiance with another guild.

[2] Dissolve such a small group and join a guild that can actually do something.

[3] Recruit people to join your guild.

While Crowfall will have some minor activities for people to do when they log on in off hours or are waiting for their friends/guild to log on, there is no indication that there is any significant amount of activities that would support a play style for full time small group or solo play. Such a small group pf people will be overrun trying to do anything by larger guilds and groups of people at every opportunity. I dont see any feasible way for small guild (so small you cant cover crafters) to have an enjoyable play experience without following one of the three bullet points above.

Edited by Toadwart

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Toadwart said:

Then your guild is too small to compete at much of anything and you need to:

[1] Join an allegiance with another guild.

[2] Dissolve such a small group and join a guild that can actually do something.

[3] Recruit people to join your guild.

While Crowfall will have some minor activities for people to do when they log on in off hours or are waiting for their friends/guild to log on, there is no indication that there is any significant amount of activities that would support a play style for full time small group or solo play. Such a small group pf people will be overrun trying to do anything by larger guilds and groups of people at every opportunity. I dont see any feasible way for small guild (so small you cant cover crafters) to have an enjoyable play experience without following one of the three bullet points above.

Not everyone has to play a game the way you want them too. 

Let the go off and see what they can do first. Doesn't seems like they want to do seiges alot which I can understand why zergy as atm. 

And if there Merchant empire takes off they can afford to hire protection if there place get seiged and so on. 

Let them see what they can do before you shut them down

We had 15 active players and covered everything crafting wise easily with double up on important crafts. 

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Hm, hope you're wrong Toadwart, but time will tell I guess. Your assumptions seem to be based on the state of the game as it is currently and assumptions by what different people might find worthwhile or fun (apologies if I am incorrect in this), but there's no reason to think things won't change as we get closer to full release and actually have all the features and gameplay functions available. 

At any rate, I don't want to further derail the OP's  guild recruitment post with theories and discussions about what type of guild is viable, so I'll leave it at that and echo my previous statement about wishing the OP and their guild good luck.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, veeshan said:

We had 15 active players and covered everything crafting wise easily with double up on important crafts.

Right. So a guild that cant cover crafting has fewer than 8 people. What exactly can a guild do in Crowfall with 8 or less people in a campaign where guilds will have 10x that number?

You are coming right out and saying that even a guild of 15 can have all of the crafters covered that it needs with duplicates.....basically there is no market for a crafting guild except for guildless people who wont have anything of value to trade for your services the rest of the people have no need for your services because everything is guild produced for the guild.

Edited by Toadwart

1 minute ago, Toadwart said:

Right. So a guild that cant cover crafting has fewer than 8 people. What exactly can a guild do in Crowfall with 8 or less people in a campaign where guilds will have 10x that number?

They can there 7 or 8 proffesion they don't want to play heavy combat classes it seems so they can passive train harvesting and a craft at once instead of 1 then combat. That's not including alt account if they decide to run them or not. 

Blacksmithing, jewel, stonemason, woodworking, runecrafting, necromancy, alchemy I think that's all of them. Guess cooking aswell if that becomes a tree. 

Veeshan Midst of UXA

@Toadwart No disrespect is intended by the following.  They are simply observations based on information I have previously provided and others have commented on.

Firstly, your recommendations make my original point very well regarding how the community at large addresses newcomers and new ideas on how the enviroment can be enjoyed.  This is the "barking" I was making reference to.  ADHoC doesn't exist to compete at this very early stage of its development. It exists to support itself first and then the community at large in a new and novel direction, that the company itself is taking - providing activities for smaller groups to contribute to the war effort. 

Secondly, If players don't feel welcome, feel under represented or pressured to consolidate into a larger guild where they may largely go unnoticed... they simply won't play.  Then the community as a whole loses population unnecessarily.  We have nothing to lose by providing an independently different platform of participation.

Thirdly.  My intent from the very beginning of discovering Crowfall was to have all professions maxed so I could assist anyone with whatever they needed.  This is something I have enjoyed in other "lands of adventure."  Crafting coverage is simply not an issue with multiple characters and/or accounts and is something I enjoy and I refuse to believe that I am the only one that has fun with the idea of building a mercantile empire in the environment we-ve been provided.

@Telonos Appreciate the considerations .. however please feel free to speak openly

@veeshan Thank you.  You stated the case very well.  You absolutely get it.

Z

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Zempestuous said:

my original point very well regarding how the community at large addresses newcomers and new ideas on how the enviroment can be enjoyed

The environment is more is more, not less is more. There arent any zerg busting mechanics and most all activities are less successful the fewer people you have doing them. That is the nature of Crowfall. The only reason small group activities are successful now is because no one plays the game, nothing is at stake and you can be by yourself on a map. When a campaigns population is maxed out...good luck doing much of anything small group when the game is designed from the ground up for massive guilds to flourish with no downside.

Your idea isnt new. There have been "crafting guilds" in practically every mmorpg where it was feasible to have them. I challenge the validity of a crafting guild in Crowfall based upon the design of the game and the lack of infrastructure to support one. At the end of the day you will be a normal guild, like every other guild trying to recruit as many combat players as you can to support the 8ish crafters that are needed to cover everything or you wont have any materials, work benches or items of value to trade for them. 

9 hours ago, Zempestuous said:

Secondly, If players don't feel welcome, feel under represented or pressured to consolidate into a larger guild where they may largely go unnoticed... they simply won't play. 

They wont play then, because there is nothing that discourages large guilds in Crowfall other than the amount of members you can have on your roster. You cannot craft without materials and to get materials, you have to be able to stand up to large guilds through combat....

Quite frankly, that means the tiny, "everyone is a IRL friend" guilds arent gonna get much of anything done. You should realize that now, before buying the 8 crafting accounts you plan to have.

Edited by Toadwart

Posted (edited)

If you are correct, then your number one recommendation of an alliance makes sense.  However, to fit the model being pursued here, it would be an alliance of multiple, smaller "IRL friend" guilds who see the value and need the greater numbers to move further into the content.  Honestly, I would be interested in being a founding member of an alliance simply called "UnMega" to drive home the point.  Understand something.  I have already hinted at the fact that ultimately ADHoC would be participating in forts, keeps & sieges.  All that's happening is we're shifting our starting focal point from PvP to crafting and mercantile activities.

Also, your number three recommendation of recruiting is why the thread was posted in the first place.  I am all for free expression and honest debate but it there is obviously a vested interest in preserving the "mega-guild" approach which has clearly unbalanced the environment in my opinion.  If the "megatrend" continues (with a borg-like, resistance is futile, zergfest ) ... it's wide-spread appeal will be reduced.  I'm totally opposed to the "play this way or don't play at all" recommendation and I must admit, I like the idea of zerg-busting mechanics.  😍  That obviously makes sense to me but that's for the developers to handle.

Appreciate the feedback.  I will accept your recommendations 1 & 3 and agree to disagree agreeably on the rest.  Allow us to move forward and see what can truly be accomplished.  See you on the battlefield .... eventually! 😉

Z

Edited by Zempestuous