Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

ArtCraft Entertainment Closes Series-A Funding Round

We are not blindly unaware of the Crowfaithful's desire for information about War of the Gods, but I would ask you to bear some things in mind - and I'm being candid because you are the Crowfaithful. I've known so many of you from my very first day at ArtCraft. 

We are a small yet determined start-up that looks for every possible way to get the most out of the limited funds we have. While the dollar figure in this press release sounds like a king's ransom, every cent of it has to be measured out and used carefully. We're not spending any Marketing money at this point; that's being reserved for a big push at launch. 

This means that in order to spread the word about Crowfall, we have to leverage what we can to get press coverage. In addition to my background as a journalist, I was the Sr. Director of Public Relations and Community at CCP before I came here, so I have a solid understanding of what it takes to get the media's attention and I understand the plans that DebySue and Todd have in place for us. The bottom line is that we need that coverage to draw attention to the game now, ahead of our big Marketing push. In order to get that coverage, we need to give the press information that hasn't already been released.  

You're going to start seeing more juicy morsels being parceled out over time, but we aren't quite there yet. In the meanwhile, we have been trying to communicate more with the new Founders Blogs and Dev Diaries. Granted, some of that may be mostly old news to those of you who follow us super-closely. I see the comments, and I promise I never lightly dismiss them. I never lightly dismiss anything said by members of our community. It all matters. 

All I can say is this: You've been with us this long. Please don't give up on us now. We are soooo freaking close to getting 5.110 into your hands. It's our passionate obsession, no one wants that more than this team does. 

I appreciate you. Thanks for reading this. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

4 minutes ago, Pann said:

I have a solid understanding of what it takes to get the media's attention and I understand the plans that DebySue and Todd have in place for us.

I have no doubt you all know how to get the media attention you want, but please don't overlook the value of word-of-mouth buzz.

Speaking only for myself, most of the games I buy are recommend by a fellow gamer, followed by games released by developers who have previously earned my dollar. Media is so far down the list that I wouldn't even mention it.

I skimmed thru most, but LEARNED THURSDAY! Everything changes THURSDAY! :)

<shadowstep> from Pann's wrath. Side note and if it doesn't take away resources away from focusing on what the masses want, will they give developers a special skin, or Pann, and do they plan to run special events in future?

Also please consider adding in Campaign relics for Factions or Guild's to fight over. Like maybe the Ancient Malekai Statue, adds something minor to Faction/Guild owning it in their claimed keep for a minor buff. For Malekai have to be something tricky, stealth bonus damage of 3% or something along those lines. More incentives to get out defend or assault over then just bragging rights in the end. Could also add to dynamics of XYZ guild to powerful so 2 or 3 guild alliance to take down the all powerful Antarctica Guild.... or what not.

17 minutes ago, VaMei said:

I have no doubt you all know how to get the media attention you want, but please don't overlook the value of word-of-mouth buzz.

Speaking only for myself, most of the games I buy are recommend by a fellow gamer, followed by games released by developers who have previously earned my dollar. Media is so far down the list that I wouldn't even mention it.

100% true, and that is part of the plan - and has been what's helped us tremendously so far. When the articles are out, you'll be able to point friends to them and say, "That's the one I told you about."

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

1 hour ago, mandalore said:

That’s what gets me.  Everybody here says nah dude wait and see and I’m over here throwing side eye while I think of everything still missing.

Not everyone, sadly though most folks throw side eye's simply by walking away. I would be much more critical but for the threat of ban if I speak honestly.

1 hour ago, Pann said:

100% true, and that is part of the plan - and has been what's helped us tremendously so far. When the articles are out, you'll be able to point friends to them and say, "That's the one I told you about."

The problem isn’t that simple though.  When I point CF articles out to my friends every single one of them goes “o that scam game again?”.  The only games with worse reps are Bless and AoC (AoC still has hundreds of thousands of people taking about and CF has..Jah?).  The small community you have is loyal but CF is known for incomplete systems, crashes, 20 FPS and absent devs.  Those are horrible things to be known for.  If you go and talk about CF in any half dozen of the Shadowbane discord’s you will elicit laughs and hooligan questions about vapor ware. Lots of people that love SB hate CF, that should say something. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

1 hour ago, mandalore said:

The problem isn’t that simple though.  When I point CF articles out to my friends every single one of them goes “o that scam game again?”.  The only games with worse reps are Bless and AoC (AoC still has hundreds of thousands of people taking about and CF has..Jah?).  The small community you have is loyal but CF is known for incomplete systems, crashes, 20 FPS and absent devs.  Those are horrible things to be known for.  If you go and talk about CF in any half dozen of the Shadowbane discord’s you will elicit laughs and hooligan questions about vapor ware. Lots of people that love SB hate CF, that should say something. 

Why on God’s Green Earth are you trying to hype this game at its current state? Of course you should be laughed at if you are trying to get them to play a game you yourself are NOT playing. There has been a LIVE Server feature freeze since last summer to get the development time to get the game to a releasable state. That necessarily meant folks walked away from the existing LIVE Servers. Trying to get folks to come back and play the existing game is absolutely idiotic. Stop doing it. You aren’t helping. If 5.110 delivers...then show folks the videos we make of how much fun we are having. If 5.110 doesnt deliver...then wait until 6.0 shows up...and we can see if that’s ready for prime time. In the mean time, find something better to do with your precious time. The game will or will not be worth the time, money and effort once its released...and no amount of consternation now will have ANY effect upon that ultimate verdict. 

Edited by Gradishar

1 hour ago, Gradishar said:

If 5.110 doesnt deliver...then wait until 6.0 shows up...and we can see if that’s ready for prime time. In the mean time, find something better to do with your precious time. The game will or will not be worth the time, money and effort once its released...and no amount of consternation now will have ANY effect upon that ultimate verdict. 

Some people try and provide critical feedback during early development and some people just stare at the tracks waiting for the trainwreck. 

I first apologize for my English.

I have followed the game since 2017, at a minimum. I can say that this is absolutely nothing, great changes are coming, great things in the future, that we must keep in mind.
The game right now deserves the effort?

Without a doubt, supporting the game is a start and I think the team behind Crowfall deserves that trust. The changes are visible and of course if you enjoy the game with friends and colleagues ahead.
Now, any complaint can be understood, 2-3 years to prepare, fundraising campaigns, I understand that there are doubts and fears but our role is to support this great game, accept that it is an alpha and that there is still a lot of work.

The last thing I can say: We must be patient, the light at the end of the road is near and there are high hopes

33 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Some people try and provide critical feedback during early development and some people just stare at the tracks waiting for the trainwreck. 

...and Chicken Little lets everyone know the sky is falling...regardless. 

3 hours ago, Gradishar said:

Why on God’s Green Earth are you trying to hype this game at its current state?

Could be asked of ACE for their years of non-marketing marketing as well. Especially looking at the responses that general public gives towards Crowfall, early access and crowdfunded games. Why bother if the fall back to any criticism is "wait for XYZ." No one outside of the tiny community of die hard unfinished game lovers should bother spending a dime or a minute on an unfinished game.

3 hours ago, Gradishar said:

The game will or will not be worth the time, money and effort once its released...and no amount of consternation now will have ANY effect upon that ultimate verdict. 

This is what it comes down to. The launch state will matter the most.

In the mean time people should realize that ACE's little guy, we care what you think, we're super duper transparent shtick is long over with. Sure to some degree they need to have the communities support and feedback, but ultimately they have millions at their disposal and will do what they want. Which it should be. Their company, careers, and reputations are on the line.

Guess it just stings a bit for those that are just now coming to that realization.

They don't owe us anything but hopefully they release something worth spending some time with.

7 hours ago, Pann said:

This means that in order to spread the word about Crowfall, we have to leverage what we can to get press coverage.

The bottom line is that we need that coverage to draw attention to the game now, ahead of our big Marketing push. In order to get that coverage, we need to give the press information that hasn't already been released. 

Curious how helpful this tactic has been over the years.

Having read most if not all the articles found on other sites, the response seems to be underwhelming. At least looking at the comments or lack of them. Obviously someone could read an article or see some news, not comment, and still end up buying the game and trying it out. However, looking at the numbers in-game and new names on the forums, seems like fewer people are bothering then years ago when it was more about internal communication and not going after the general public.

Although the tools to see forum activity have been gone for quite a while (AFAIK) so I could be completely wrong. Still amazed there isn't a dev tracker. For some games I follow, the dev tracker is the single source I go to outside of news articles.

Will be interesting to see how this marketing model works with the next update. I'm not sure how non-fans are going to care anymore then before if the update is to an unfinished game with an unknown launch date with wipes to come. Even if 5.110 is amazing and close to feature complete, it still has the stigma of not being baked all the way and gamers seem more then able to dismiss all the good because of that fact.

"Crowfall feels like you’re playing out a season of Game of Thrones.” 

I must of watched/read a very different version of GOT.

Marketing/PR is :rolleyes: but reading some of the first press releases to what the game has become makes me :(

THE MANIFESTO !!!, conflict, political power, feudal world, real economy, dynamic territorial conquest, Koster?, Voxel Farm, redefined MMO genre?

12 hours ago, Pann said:

Can you please do a report of the effects of the marketing strategy during the pre 5.8 period? It was kinda the same as now (tho not as long but thats due to the scopes of the patches) so it would make the comunity trust it.Most of us don't agree with your marketing actions right now cause we didn't see a difference in traffic when the mmorpg.com talent system revealed happened. It was still all of us old folk discussing. 

If we knew that in 5.8 the interest of the game grew by x% as a result of it then no one would complain.

7 hours ago, APE said:

In the mean time people should realize that ACE's little guy, we care what you think, we're super duper transparent shtick is long over with.

You think so? When we complained about guilds using /who to load up siege zones, did they listen? When we complained about the clunkiness of root animated combat, did they listen? When Durenthal and Blazzen whined about how their Elite PvPers didn’t want to harvest or craft...did we get war tribe gear? Did they start working on refineries? There have been times when I’ve thought they listen to our childish incessant complaining way too much. There is little doubt in my mind that our feedback has significantly shaped the game over the past 3 years. Wether we made it better or worse is open to debate. When 5.110 hits TEST I am sure they will again be eager for our feedback on the version of the game they’ve spent the last 6 months developing. My only hope is that they will have the good judgment to know which voices to listen to, and which to ignore.

Edited by Gradishar

1 hour ago, Gradishar said:

You think so? When we complained about guilds using /who to load up siege zones, did they listen? When we complained about the clunkiness of root animated combat, did they listen? When Durenthal and Blazzen whined about how their Elite PvPers didn’t want to harvest or craft...did we get war tribe gear? Did they start working on refineries? There have been times when I’ve thought they listen to our childish incessant complaining way too much. There is little doubt in my mind that our feedback has significantly shaped the game over the past 3 years. Wether we made it better or worse is open to debate. When 5.110 hits TEST I am sure they will again be eager for our feedback on the version of the game they’ve spent the last 6 months developing. My only hope is that they will have the good judgment to know which voices to listen to, and which to ignore.

/Who was a wonderful example of something that never should have been in game.  Like who at the council of devs (I picture a table with high backed chairs and lowly serfs/interns bringing their lords ale/coffee) didn't poke enough holes in that poorly made socks idea.  I never liked /who in pvp games (lookin at you shadowbane), has always just been free intel and anything that can be abused will be abused in these games.  

I can tell which ideas you were against and which changes you favor though.  "Clunky" rooted combat is bad eh but the crazy tedious harvest grind for gear in a pvp game was cool eh?  Crazy tedious grind is good for the organized players but bad for the new people we need to attract to the game for them to keep the lights on.  

Edited by mandalore

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

42 minutes ago, mandalore said:

/Who was a wonderful example of something that never should have been in game.  Like who at the council of devs (I picture a table with high backed chairs and lowly serfs/interns bringing their lords ale/coffee) didn't poke enough holes in that poorly made socks idea.  I never liked /who in pvp games (lookin at you shadowbane), has always just been free intel and anything that can be abused will be abused in these games.  

I can tell which ideas you were against and which changes you favor though.  "Clunky" rooted combat is bad eh but the crazy tedious harvest grind for gear in a pvp game was cool eh?  Crazy tedious grind is good for the organized players but bad for the new people we need to attract to the game for them to keep the lights on.  

Being a gamer who doesnt like harvesting/crafting the grind isnt even that bad...even in SB it took a while to get the best gear and that was with an organized guild, and to get the resources needed we had to depend on controlling the mines... if you were a solo player in SB it was way harder because you cant control the mines but had to depend on getting resource drops from mobs, at least as a solo player in CF you can still harvest resources and craft yourself or have someone do it for you.