Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

ArtCraft Entertainment Closes Series-A Funding Round

1 minute ago, yianni said:

Being a gamer who doesnt like harvesting/crafting the grind isnt even that bad...even in SB it took a while to get the best gear and that was with an organized guild, and to get the resources needed we had to depend on controlling the mines... if you were a solo player in SB it was way harder because you cant control the mines but had to depend on getting resource drops from mobs, at least as a solo player in CF you can still harvest resources and craft yourself or have someone do it for you.

To be specific, mines weren't even a thing at launch and I don't think Jtodd had much of a hand in them.  Secondly, the different in obsidian rolled gear and not was so minute as to not even be noticeable outside of personal vanity about having it.  

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

1 hour ago, mandalore said:

To be specific, mines weren't even a thing at launch and I don't think Jtodd had much of a hand in them.  Secondly, the different in obsidian rolled gear and not was so minute as to not even be noticeable outside of personal vanity about having it.  

True but even non mine gear was hard to come by as it was random by merchants.

26 minutes ago, yianni said:

True but even non mine gear was hard to come by as it was random by merchants.

Gear never broke in sb unless you custarded up.  It might take a day or two to get farm enough for gear solo.  I think you and I had very different Sb experiences.  Cf it might take days to farm gear, its going to break and you need 19 people to craft the different components.  

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Ok, getting my abacus and star charts out to decipher the hidden beta start date somewhere in that letter. *deciphering intensifies*

IRL, exciting news. Has to be a relief knowing the funding is there to finish the game right. 

21 hours ago, Pann said:

I have a solid understanding of what it takes to get the media's attention and I understand the plans that DebySue and Todd have in place for us.

Serious question:

If you've closed your final round of funding, and you have the resources needed to push through to launch, of what value is media attention before launch? Isn't the entire point of media attention to drive sales which you are no longer relying on to get the game to launch where you're going to do a big marketing push?

I mean call me a cynic here but isn't the top priority at this point cutting the fat and pushing to launch?

Isn't the games media mostly irrelevant given the current financial picture and current goals of development?

What's the purpose served by icing out your Crowfaithful(tm) who literally paid you for the privilege of helping you design a better game?

This isn't a new EVE update aimed at bringing in new players or recapturing lapsed ones, and its not a project that's attempting to balance the books to bankroll new features or staff.

From an outside perspective, it seems like an exercise in marketing for no purpose other than the act of marketing at the expense of the product itself. You aren't marketing to secure more money or more players. We know you have the money now, and we know that building a sizable testing pop isn't a goal as you've got a switch to flip that just opens the floodgates to a free testing base of emails.

I don't do your job. I develop software for a soulless corporation by day and develop more software for myself by night. I can't possibly conceive of any reason be as hostile to transparency with your community as you are being right now, especially when you marketed transparency as a mission goal of the company, and especially when you marketed greater access as a perk for a subset of that community that invested quite frankly ridiculous sums of money during your launch phase.

Why does getting media attention matter more than transparency at a stage of development where you're not ready to market the game and you don't need any more money to get to the point where you are?

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

13 hours ago, Gradishar said:

You think so? When we complained about guilds using /who to load up siege zones, did they listen? When we complained about the clunkiness of root animated combat, did they listen? When Durenthal and Blazzen whined about how their Elite PvPers didn’t want to harvest or craft...did we get war tribe gear? Did they start working on refineries? There have been times when I’ve thought they listen to our childish incessant complaining way too much. There is little doubt in my mind that our feedback has significantly shaped the game over the past 3 years. Wether we made it better or worse is open to debate. When 5.110 hits TEST I am sure they will again be eager for our feedback on the version of the game they’ve spent the last 6 months developing. My only hope is that they will have the good judgment to know which voices to listen to, and which to ignore.

Clearly they've used feedback to guide development, but as I mentioned, they simply are not as transparent as they presented themselves to be. Be it now or ever IMO.

Fixing broken systems/features isn't being transparent. That's using customer paid for labor to fix dev created problems and poor work/decisions.

I can't speak for others, but I simply would have liked more details about what the team is doing on a regular basis as other studios have done. Be it mundane or not. Along with some more in-depth details about upcoming features. They haven't had a dev tracker for years it seems like. Considering the dev forum activity I guess it isn't really needed...

Believe all the games I've backed have the "we want to build the game with the community" stance when it comes to getting our money but then it's "we'll share when we are ready."

That isn't open communication, transparency, including us in development, etc. They use our time/money/effort when it is convenient then go back to radio silence. Which I'm fine with but don't claim or present to be otherwise.

5.110 sounds like it will bring a lot to the game. What if half of it is a hot mess like archetypes, combat, passive training, talents, PVE, or insert whatever systems they've spent so much time redoing after the fact? Instead of using free labor machines to try out rough drafts and give feedback to have a result that doesn't need months/years to re-work and improve.

At least once they did the "we hear you" deal and were going to increase communication and news, I'll let you guess what happened if you don't know.

It's frustrating from a fan/customer perspective when someone has given their time/money/faith to a project they believe in. Which I fault both sides for. Game companies are businesses and their bottom line is what matters, not our precious little feelings and wants/needs.

If 5.110 flops along with beta/launch, ACE won't have any fingers to point at evil publishers and suits in the tower. Hope it doesn't happen, but wouldn't be shocked if things go poorly. Great way to screw up a game's success is to ignore the people actually wanting to pay and play it.

Of course the 5.110 news dump will likely erase a good majority of the displeasure some have until it happens once again. We do like going in circles.

Five Years.

This is the story of a small game studio.  They had a lofty goal ($800k!).  They planned to launch in one year.

But, it's funny what happens when you give someone a lot of money...  $$$

See, running a studio isn't cheap.  Take a look at the payroll.  Big numbers become small numbers fast.

We've got to get this Spruce Goose in the air.

We've got business chops.  We've got hype.  Tout the numbers!  Raise more capital!

Then -- THEN -- we will have enough runway.

Then -- THEN -- our players will forgive our missteps.

Then -- THEN -- we will be successful.

How does the story end?  A glorious takeoff?  A fiery crash?

We will see.

Now then... how much more runway does $11.7M get us?

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

4 hours ago, Nazdar said:

Now then... how much more runway does $11.7M get us?

depends on average salary burden. Since I don't know their costs, I will simply say that in my field I could just cover labor costs for 50 guys for about a year and a half.

3 hours ago, mystafyi said:

depends on average salary burden. Since I don't know their costs, I will simply say that in my field I could just cover labor costs for 50 guys for about a year and a half.

Exactly, however they don't have  so much, because most of that is marketing money. So it is launch this year or die. 

On 1/30/2020 at 12:07 AM, APE said:

Clearly they've used feedback to guide development, but as I mentioned, they simply are not as transparent as they presented themselves to be. Be it now or ever IMO.

Fixing broken systems/features isn't being transparent. That's using customer paid for labor to fix dev created problems and poor work/decisions.

I can't speak for others, but I simply would have liked more details about what the team is doing on a regular basis as other studios have done. Be it mundane or not. Along with some more in-depth details about upcoming features. They haven't had a dev tracker for years it seems like. Considering the dev forum activity I guess it isn't really needed...

Believe all the games I've backed have the "we want to build the game with the community" stance when it comes to getting our money but then it's "we'll share when we are ready."

I mean just have a look. This is what a basic level of transparency looks like. Its essentially just abbreviated internal patch notes every week and a few screens and videos. It isn't hard. Pann could easily do this once a week in stead of dreaming up new hashtags.

https://forum.starbasegame.com/forums/progress-reports.38/

And this isn't even FrozenByte's only game. This is one of several titles they're working on concurrently. It's not even for sale, early access or otherwise. They began doing so right after they publicly announced the game existed

An internally funded team which hasn't even begun to sell preorders to their MMO is more transparent than ACE, which specifically sold a sense of cooperation and community, and then a second and third tier of transparency on a half crowdfunded business model.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

@PopeUrban And here I was thinking that ACE was being sorta-transparent.  Honestly, that StarBaseGame forum is more than impressive.

For all the clever and cute, I still get the feeling that ACE spends a lot of time over-curating their public image before being "transparent".  I'd love to see more of ^^^ this ^^^ around these parts.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

7 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

I mean just have a look. This is what a basic level of transparency looks like. Its essentially just abbreviated internal patch notes every week and a few screens and videos. It isn't hard. Pann could easily do this once a week in stead of dreaming up new hashtags.

https://forum.starbasegame.com/forums/progress-reports.38/

And this isn't even FrozenByte's only game. This is one of several titles they're working on concurrently. It's not even for sale, early access or otherwise. They began doing so right after they publicly announced the game existed

An internally funded team which hasn't even begun to sell preorders to their MMO is more transparent than ACE, which specifically sold a sense of cooperation and community, and then a second and third tier of transparency on a half crowdfunded business model.

thats what i want 

hoayaga2.jpg