Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kris

Telegraphs Need To Go (New Gameplay Trailer)

498 members have voted

1. 1. Telegraphs

• NO, I don't want telegraphs
    • YES, I want telegraphs
    • I don't mind some telegraphs, but tone down the texture

Source 1

Source 2

Edit: This is an example, made by sado, of what Crowfall would look like without the telegraphs:

http://justinlowe.name/telegra.webm

From the gameplay trailers, I think telegraphs don't fit in Crowfall, especially for non aimed attacks (cone/point blank aoe etc...)

- Too flashy and ugly.

- Trivialize the game, instead of looking at the character animations and learning the attack patterns, people will just end up looking at the ground.

- Some telegraphs for aimed and ranged AOE make sense, but make them subtle, not as flashy.

Don't do the same mistake Wildstar did. Overuse of telegraphs is not the way to go.

Thoughts?

Edited by kris

My thought? 

Section 2. 

Generally, melee attacks happen in the area in front of the character.  There is no hard “target”.  Attacks use various shapes such as: cones, rectangles, and spheres. You can optionally turn on or off a projected ground texture, if you want to visualize where your character is attacking.

Don't like em? Don't use em.

I hope the animations for the attacks will get better, they are really bad rigth now, they don't match with the telegraph you see in the ground.

In TERA there is no telegraph, the animations for the skills are enough to see where the attack is hitting, Artcraft should work on that.

If the Animations are good enough there is no need of telegraphs.

I will add another thing about telegraphs.

They added an action combat based system so you can feel you are fighting, so still on focusing on what key you are pressing between the 50 skills you have in boxes in your screen you see the fight. But then, they added telegraph, so you are not focusing on the fight either, you focus on the telegraphs, it doesn't make sense for me, if you want people to feel like they are fighting, make good animations, that's all, if the animations match the area it hits, there is not need of telegraphs and the players will feel better and will have fun.

My thought?

Section 2.

Don't like em? Don't use em.

It's a mute point if using them gives you a significant advantage. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would take not being able to see where the enemy attack is going to be over enable it.

In pvp you take any advantage you can get.

However imagine hundreds of telegraphs painting the terrain, ugh.

Edited by Helix

The animations and speed of the game are perfect.  To hell with telegraphs though.  The lasers ruin the setting.

People will learn where their abilities hit by practice and intuition.

Animations are far from perfect.

I hope the animations for the attacks will get better, they are really bad rigth now, they don't match with the telegraph you see in the ground.

In TERA there is no telegraph, the animations for the skills are enough to see where the attack is hitting, Artcraft should work on that.

If the Animations are good enough there is no need of telegraphs.

Seeing as this was pre-alpha footage and they are working with an external partner on some of the character models, I am sure things will change and tighten up over time. Alpha testing isn't even going to be around until late summer 2016, so we have some time ;)

Other things like the player armor looking like it was welded onto the character from everything acting like a universal rigid body will certainly change as well. I would also love to see the weight and feel of melee combat on par with the fidelity and responsiveness similar to Neverwinter Online and Terra. In those games the weapons felt weighted and I was appreciative of how smooth the combat animation and flow was, so I see no reason why we can't have something like that in Crowfall ^_^

Edited by Palad1n

Seeing as this was pre-alpha footage and they are working with an external partner on some of the character models, I am sure things will change and tighten up over time. Alpha testing isn't even going to be around until late summer 2016, so we have some time ;)

Other things like the player armor looking like it was welded onto the character from everything acting like a universal rigid body will certainly change as well. I would also love to see the weight and feel of melee combat on par with the fidelity and responsiveness similar to Neverwinter Online and Terra. In those games the weapons felt weighted and I was appreciative of how smooth the combat animation and flow was, so I see no reason why we can't have something like that in Crowfall ^_^

Where did you get that alpha will be late summer 2016? I expect alpha summer this year.

In kickstarter they expect release data in december 2016 (see kickstarter).

Where did you get that alpha will be late summer 2016? I expect alpha summer this year.

Wishful thinking.

Animations are far from perfect.

I somehow agree, but I've seen much much worse on western mmos. It could also be due to the low video framerate. They could look much better at 60~144fps.

Edited by kris

Woops! Sorry, yeah, I mis-read that on Kickstarter, here is the info posted from it:

* The core module is estimated to be delivered by Winter 2016. First release (with partial functionality) will begin alpha testing in late Summer 2015.

So those who did secure an earlier Alpha will most likely have a chance to help test it later this year. :D

Edited by Palad1n